1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Ben Roethlisberger: I’ll miss a game if my wife goes into labor

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Sep 6, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Ben Roethlisberger: I’ll miss a game if my wife goes into labor

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 6, 2012, 12:38 PM EDT
    AP
    Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s wife is pregnant, and he says that if she goes into labor on a game day, he’s missing the game.

Roethlisberger said in an interview on Wednesday, and reiterated in a post on his personal website on Thursday, that if he is forced to choose, he will choose being there for the birth of his son over being with the Steelers.

“I’m not missing the birth of my child,” Roethlisberger told Ed Bouchette of thePittsburgh Post-Gazette. “There’s no chance. I know some fans probably don’t want to hear that, but there’s no chance.”

If Roethlisberger chooses to miss a game for the birth of his child, he won’t be the first NFL player to do so. In 1993, Houston Oilers offensive tackle David Williams skipped a Sunday game because his wife gave birth the night before, and the Oilers were furious: They docked him his game check, and Oilers offensive line coach Bob Young said that he had personally skipped the birth of his own child for a football game and was outraged that Williams wouldn’t do the same, saying of Williams, “He let the guys down, and he let hundreds of thousands of fans down.”

The culture of the NFL and of American society has changed enough in two decades that Roethlisberger probably won’t face such a harsh denunciation if he does miss a game. But Roethlisberger said he and his wife — who have declined to reveal publicly when she’s due — are going to attempt to make it work so that she doesn’t give birth on a day the Steelers are playing.

“We’ll do everything we can to make sure it doesn’t happen,” Roethlisberger said.

But if it does happen, either Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch will be starting at quarterback for the Steelers that day. Because Roethlisberger has decided that he’s going to prioritize being a husband and father over being a quarterback.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-ill-miss-a-game-if-my-wife-goes-into-labor/

Week 14?:abq2:

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Here is the complete quote:

“I’m not missing the birth of my child. There’s no chance. I know some fans probably don’t
    want to hear it, but that's just how I roll. Likewise, I will miss a game if any gals at the Velvet Elvis
    in Milledgeville, or any Hooters girls I may've exposed my penis to go into labor. I'm a sensitive guy"

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    WWCD?

What Would Cromartie Do?;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Wife >>> Baby Mama #9

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Good for Ben - looks like he may finally have his priorities straight.

• Like Like x 2
  6. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
  7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Ben has two rings already, has been paid, and is playing because he likes to do so. His family clearly is (and should be) more important to him. I'd have been astounded if his position were the opposite.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Family should always come first!!!!

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    What week do we play the Steelers again? ;)

10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504

That can't be his actual quote. None of those girls got pregnant. He distinctly said " I rape um, you scrape um!"

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    First of all, I'm not sure if any of them was legitimately raped.

But, if so, my understanding (from doctors Pepper & Who)
    is that their body would've had a way to try to shut that whole
    thing down. (Though they may be achin' from complications, later)

12. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Ahhh, you subscribe to the "Stop raping me Ben" means "Yes" crowd. Ok I got it. lol. JK.