1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Aquisition in a loooong time!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Nov 28, 2010.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Not sure what your guys opinion is but picking up Pat Watkins has been a god send. He is all over the place on Special Teams. Since his aquisition there has been a HUGE improvement on kickoff and punt coverage.

The other guy I am really enjoying watch this year is Antonio Garay. This dude is a beast and at this rate, it looks like Vaughn Martin will be a career backup in SD.

2. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Special Teams playing some good *** football lately im lovin it

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    And don't forget Barnes. He's going to be a force opposite Shaun Phillips for awhile.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Martin has played well in limited time, just has alot of people in front of him. Garay looks like a stud though no question

Watkins and Washington have been outstanding Special Teams additions, i'm thrilled for them and they need to be on the team as our gunners

5. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Garay is the "next big thing" as far as NFL NT's go. He sets a high standard and has really improved this year.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think he'll be even better when next year they rotate him a bit more with Cam Thomas. Keep him fresher and he'll keep playing at a high level

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    THIS!!! Barnes is a stud, heard he left Baltimore only because they felt he was too talented to sit on the bench behind Suggs and Johnson.

Great mid-season pickup.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Tell that to DenverBolt. He hates Garay. Not sure why. Dude has played like a stud for a scrub as he calls him.....

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Garay is a man. There is no reason not to like what he has done this year.

10. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13
    The D stepped up HUGE and Crosby finally got his squad together, they looked good. Kaeding was nails too. Now if Sproles could ever break one again...

11. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    A number of huge additions this year...with Garay and Barnes being premiere.

Sproles looked closer to breaking one against the Colts then I have seen in awhile. He has always had good success against them, so I had hoped for the breakthrough.

However, I will ecstatic if he runs one back this weekend.

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    To all the AJ detractors: guess who picked up Garay and Barnes......

13. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

Let's face it, this is the third year the Chargers have been a baffling Jeckyl & Hyde team. It's almost as though you have to reserve comment until after the season is over, otherwise comments you made at the mid-way point look ridiculous later.

Just a truly baffling team to follow.

14. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I still shutter to think what could have been with The Burner in the backfield for the last 3 years.

That was the one AJ let get away that I am sure he would have loved a do-over on.

15. kato2578

kato2578 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    DenverBolt is clearly an idiot when it comes to football. Garay is a beast.. he's quick, strong and probably has the best jump off the ball than any player i've seen this year.. and he's taking the primary of the snaps.. and he's making league veteran minimum.. he's having a pro bowl type season.. whenever a team is top 5 in run defense, much of that goes to the nose especially in a 3-4 and he's top 5 in Nose tackles in the league in sacks for a team that is number 1 against the pass.. Nose Tackles have a thankless job b/c they don't get the majority of the stats but when your team is top 5 in defense, much of the credit must goes to the Nose tackle..

16. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    We have played some of the best Nose Tackles in the game this year, and I can say without question, while the Raider's Seymour is a BEAST, Garay is every bit as good if not better.

The Chiefs lack a true nose tackle and it shows. That is a BIG need for us in the off season...along with a 2nd WR and a pass rushing LB or DE to take SOME pressure off of Tamba Hali.

17. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Hi, welcome to the board. Please don't insult people just because you don't agree with them.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Damn... there goes my post count... :lol:

19. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    :beat:

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I did not see where DB even posted in this thread... Am I missing something?

21. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I think he was just assuming based on his body of work. ;)

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I kinda think of him as the next Kris Jenkins. He may not be Ngata or Wilfork caliber, but he is in the ballpark.

23. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    QFT. Refer to this post at any point you begin to question the Bolts.

EDIT: I hope Garay will only get better next year (assuming there is a next year), especially if Cam Thomas can provide some relief at that position. Still, conventional wisdom shows that improvement will be either negligible or nonexistent as more teams recognize his skill and tenacity.

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
  25. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Now THAT ^ is freaking amazing!

26. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I can't believe no has mention Patrick Crayton? He's been a huge playmaker for us before the injury. All that for a 7th rounder. Great deal A.J.

27. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm a huge fan of Crayton. I'd much rather see him get an extension in the offseason than Legs who is ALWAYS HURT.

28. StratoBoltz

StratoBoltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Crayton was a good addition and put in some good performances.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Garay is also 31 years old, Martin in only 24. Way too early to say he is a career backup

30. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

Agreed, as a former WR himself, Smith has shown himself to be a good judge of WR talent and has shown a penchant for getting short term fixes at the position in trade at reasonable values: McCardell, Chambers, Crayton.