1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

best arguement for why we should fire Teddy and never should've hired him...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by mandude, Oct 27, 2008.

1. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Saw this posted by someone on the UT site:

---------------

Coaching matters.

Ask the Rams players.

Ask the Cowboys defensive players this week. Wade Phillips returned to calling Dallas' game day defense. Result: The "D" is back in Big D.

And the Chargers?...

Well, the Chargers have Ted Cottrell. The same Cottrell that rode the coat tails of Wade Phillips in Buffalo.

The same Cottrell that was fired as Jets DC at the end of the '02 season after their D ranked 32nd vs. the pass.

The same Cottrell that the Vikings fired as DC in '05 after two terrible seasons with the Vikings ranking 32nd vs. the pass.

The '08 Chargers rank 32nd vs. the pass.

The Chargers have Ted Cottrell as DC.

Thanks, Ted, for ruining an aggressive, feared, competitive Chargers defense in a season & a half as DC.

And A.J. won't fire that persistent failed DC?

Go figure.

2. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    sorry to reply to my own thread... one other thing.

We should NEVER need 38 point to win a game with players we have.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Totally agree,

and take Norval with you Teddy

:tdown:

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    So let's see if y'all can pull y'alls heads outta y'alls collective asses to answer this-

OK, so we got the fall guy, who's gonna replace Cottrell. IMHO, it's gotta be someone better than the incumbent. Who is that coach??

Not only does he have to be better, but we have to have access to him, and he's gotta wanna come here. Who is that coach??

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

That's in the other thread labeled

"Who would you hire as DC?"

If fact, I think there might be a poll going up soon!!

:icon_tease::icon_tease::icon_tease:

6. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Nolan, Philips (if he's fired), Rivera.

All would be better. All run a 3-4, and Rivera works with our current team (obviously), and Phillips is only two years removed (obviously). And Nolan worked w/ Turner, and from all accounts they got a long great.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I don't do polls; answer me straight up; who do the Chargers bring in that answers the questions I posed??

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Nolan, really, you want a fired HC??

Phillips ditto??

Rivera, the Chargers LBs coach, really??

If the answer is yes to any of those, then IMHO y'all want change for change sake, which is ok, I s'pose...

Think Goddamnit, y'all wanna fire Ted now, who do we get to replace him now.

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I know. :lol:

That's how I'm feeling right now.

This team sucks. They are playing with no sense of urgency, imo. Something needs to happen. Fire a coach, bench a player, I don't fugging care what, but something.

10. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Do you not know anything about football past last season?

Yes I would want Mike Nolan, I am not advocating they hire him to be the Head Coach, he was a proven DC who ran a 3-4 for the Ravens. It was so impressive it landed him the head coach job in SF.

Once again Phillips did amazing work here, ran the 3-4, knows our players, and is proving himself again as he takes over the Defense calling in Dallas.

And finally Rivera was a contender for the HC position here, was the DC in Chicago and ran the one of the most competive defenses the Bears had since the 80s. He's been with the Chargers one and half years, as the respect of the players, knows our guys (their strengths/weaknesses) and our system. So he can build on the existing structure and turn this thing around.

So yeah I would take any ex-HC or an "linebackers coach" over Teddy the dipsh*t cotrell any day of the week. In fact, if I could I'd fire him this week, give the reins to Rivera over the bye, and then see how the rest of the season goes. And either keep Rivera or bring Nolan or Philips or recurite a young up in coming coach from another proven team.

No more washed up hacks. The nepotism is killing us.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Nolan - Not a good HC, but he knows how to run a D. Ravens 2001-2004 D were very good.

Rivera - Can't do any worse then the pile of crap currently running this D into the ground.

The SD D is tops in the league as far as time on the field.
    SD is LAST in pass D

This last game was a perfect example.

For 3Qs the D played soft cover zones and Drew carved them up like a Benihana Chef. Then in the 4thQ, Jabba woke the fuk up an they started to press the WRs. But it was too late.

TC is a waste. He has NEVER EVER EVER been a successful DC in any place he has coached.

Now on Merriman, he was hands down the heart and soul of that D. Having him gone hurts big time, but this D should not suck this bad.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Don't you agree whatever is done has to have a purpose or reason, and the change has to produce positive results??

Otherwise the move, whatever it is, would be superficial??

So try to take your emotions and your butt-hurt outta the equation and come up with a plausible solution. Otherwise, alla this fire AJ/Norv/Tedyadayada is jes posturing.

13. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

So are you actually trying to tell me that Ted isn't the worst defensive coordinator in the league right now? Find me one guy worse than him. Our defense is as bad as the donkeys, and they're no ****ing way that that should happen. Pagano or Rivera would both be better than Cotrell, and if they aren't, who cares? The defense wouldn't be playing any worse than they are right now.

14. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    im all with getting TED the hell out of here, but Norv no way, Rivers under him is about to have his best year as a pro

15. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Is he accessible, or is this jes wishful thinking??

Any evidence of this?? I mean, he does coach the Charger LBs, who haven't exactly been stellar.

JMHO, but until those questions I asked are answered, everything else is jes posturing.

16. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    uhh probably the guy that coached the Bears D to the superbowl 2 years ago

17. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

You know you can't predict the future.

If the FO determines that this coaching staff is hindering our ability to make it to (and win) the SB, then why WOULDN'T we make a change???

Isn't that what we're trying to accomplish??

:icon_shrug:

18. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    I'm not saying that at all; what I am saying is for anyone to offer a viable alternative.

Where is the evidence that Pagano or Rivera would be better??

So you are willing to make a change for change sake??

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    You mean our LBs coach??

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Apparently, the FO hasn't made that assessment that y'all think they should make.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,671
    Incompetence can't be stood for when you see what this defense was in 06 and 07 and has since become, there's paralysis through analysis where players don't seem to know what they're doing on each play or in general.

I'd put Rivera up there for the simple reason that I wanna see what he can do. I'd send feelers to Nolan and Phillips (who might not be great HCs but are very good DCs, ask Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh about that) about them coming over to SD next year.

22. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Damn, BFISA. Do read stuff about other football teams?

Nolan got FIRED from the 9ers. Did you miss that event?? That means he does not have a job and is NOT under contract with ANYONE.

Rivera was the DC of the Bears before a personality conflict with Smith got him the boot. He was SUCCESSFUL in Chi.

Can you follow that reasoning or do you need the bouncing ball to follow along?

23. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    yes did you not know that he coached the Bears D and took them to the superbowl?

24. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    nope,

but that's not gonna stop me from b i t c h ing about it!!!

:icon_shrug:

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    No, I can follow the reasoning, and without emotion or butt-hurt. I know Nolan got fired, is he accessible??

I know of Rivera's success in Chicago, what evidence is there that he'd be successful in SD when his LBs have failed so miserably??

Firing Ted to see what Nolan/Rivera/anyone else can do in mid-season jes doesn't make alotta sense to me, but then I wasn't on the sit LT bandwagon either, so what do I know??

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah, I can see that.

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Are we in agreement that the Charger LBs have been abysmal this season??

I'm not talking about Chicago 2 years ago, I'm talking Chargers Defense here and now.

28. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Dude have you read anyone's post? You keep repeating the same sh*t. You sound like Poof or B4TL or whoever. There are alternatives out there, right this moment that would be better than that fat piece of ****. We're ranked 32nd in league for pass defense. Our run defense is a joke.

Considering his past success wth the bears why wouldn't you want to see what Rivera could do? (yeah we get it, he's currently a Line backer's coach, nevermind everything he built in Chicago)

Why wouldn't you want Nolan? He wasn't fired for running the defense in San Francisco, and he had great success in Baltimore. And he has experience running a 3-4 defense...

And why wouldn't you want Phillips back? He kicked *** for us for 3 years under Marty, and would probably be our HC if Marty wasn't fired 3 weeks after he left for Dallas.

From your responses, your either a troll, or have gone poof on us. Which is strange cuz you have a lot rep and a lot posts.

29. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    At least we can always count on stopping the run... :icon_shrug:

[​IMG]

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Stop pulling irrelavant crap in to the convo. This has nothing to do with LT or fuking bandwagons.

It is not just the LBs that have played badly, it is the ENTIRE DEFENSE. Have you missed that?

Is Nolan accessible?? WTF does that mean. How the hell should I know if he is answering is damn phone.

HE DOES NOT HAVE A FUKING JOB IN THE NFL, THAT MEANS HE IS AVAILABLE. Not under contract.

You asked WHO could replace Ted and I gave you 2 examples

Nolan - A PROVEN DC. His track record in that regard speaks for itself. He is a bad HC(time/clock management/red flag calls).

I will say this again. Rivera was a SUCCESSFUL DC in CHI. Something that Teddy has NEVER been.

Buffalo - FIRED because his D was horrible.
    JETS - FIRED because is pass D was LAST in the league.
    Vikings - FIRED because is pass D was LAST in the league.