1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Chargers Team Ever: 2006

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

ESPN
    By Bill Williamson
    6-25-2010

Analysis:
    Unlike the other three teams in the AFC West, the memory of San Diego’s greatest team doesn’t bring back happy thoughts for Chargers fans.

The memories are tough and raw. Oh, what could have been.

San Diego has never won a Super Bowl. This team was its best chance. The 2006 San Diego Chargers were loaded.

Then they went out and blew it in the playoffs.

I was in San Diego for the team’s AFC divisional playoff game against New England and the town was buzzing all weekend. The Chargers were an NFL-best 14-2 and the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs. San Diego was unbeaten at home in the regular season. Marty Schottenheimer’s team was expected to go to, and probably win, the Super Bowl.

AFC West: Best teams ever

Poll: Best AFC West teams ever

Then came the fourth quarter of the New England game. The Patriots stunned San Diego by scoring 11 points in a little more than seven minutes to knock off the Chargers, 24-21.

The dream season was over and the Chargers were never the same again. Schottenheimer, who didn’t get along with general manager A.J. Smith anyway, was sent packing and was replaced by Norv Turner.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson was the NFL MVP after an incredible season in which he ran for 1,815 yards and scored an NFL-record 28 rushing touchdowns. Philip Rivers took over for the departed Drew Brees after sitting for two years and played well right away. The defense was suffocating and opportunistic.

The 2006 Chargers were good enough to win a Super Bowl. They just couldn’t get it done.

Most impressive win: A 23-13 victory over visiting Pittsburgh. The Chargers bounced back from a tough loss in Baltimore to handle the defending Super Bowl champions in Week 5. They made a statement in that game.

Rocky times: The Chargers had some off-field issues in 2006. Linebacker Steve Foley was shot after a confrontation with an off-duty police officer days before the start of the season, creating a major distraction. Shaun Phillips stepped in and played very well in Foley’s absence.

Safety Terrence Kiel was arrested at the team’s facility during the season for possession of controlled substances. Kiel, who didn’t play for San Diego after 2006, was killed in an auto accident in July 2008.

Honorable mention:

1963: The Chargers won the AFL title after an 11-3 season. They were dominant, fielding the best offense and defense in the league.

1980: They lost to the AFC championship game to Oakland. This was an offensive juggernaut (418 points, 26.1 ppg).

1994: This team has a special place in San Diego fans’ hearts. It’s the only time the Chargers made the Super Bowl.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    :banghead: Damn Marlon McCree.

We always seem to have goat.

3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Whatever

4. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Best team ever was 1963. I figure they would have beaten the Packers, but we will never know. These guys just crushed other teams. I know. I never missed a game, either on TV or as a Junior Charger.

5. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I would put both the 63 and 80 teams ahead of thr 06 one.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,423
    Most talented? perhaps

Best ever? Not when they couldn't win one playoff game.

I'd rank the 2007 team ahead of the 2006 team. At least they made some noise in the playoffs and it took injured players and an undefeated team to knock them out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    OT: 54-yard field goal. Is that makable? :icon_shrug: Just for future reference.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

I never expected Kaeding to make that FG in 06', I don't know why people blamed that game on him when it was clearly a combination of McCree/Florence/Parker that we lost.

9. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I never mentioned that kicker:icon_huh:. I was just wondering if a 54-yard field goal is makable? :icon_tease:

10. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    not when ur running out of time and the clock wasnt managed right, he barely had time to set up first. but ur right he sucked/sucks

11. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    yah too bad none of those guys were fired right away, just marty huh...good thing parker had just signed that huge contract, and didnt have to get suspended like gates to get it

12. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I agree. How about the SB team? They may not have the same level of individual talent but they found ways to WIN.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

Agreed - people blame Kaeding in 2006 because he lost it in 2004 and now in 2009 when it was far more the fault of the abovementioned threesome plus Marty

14. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    True, the 94 team did alot with much less talent than to 06 squad.

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Injuries facked us against the Pats in the AFCCG; I have that game recorded and we handled those guys in the first half.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I'm sure Marty going for it on 4th and 11 in the 1st quarter had no effect on the outcome.

17. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I loved watching Parker be so solid for us that year. Then it was like "what? is this guy throwing this game?" Mcree was an idiot. Man, that was a tough game to see slip away. I will never forget that season. The comeback against the Bengals. LT breaking those records. Then those ugly things that happened. That was the biggest should have would have could have but didn't. It's not easy being a Charger and Padre fan but that will make the victory that much sweeter.:abq2:

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    That Bengals/Chargers game was the most epic sporting event I have ever attended.

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That 63 team would have stacked well against Green Bay. Different era, but that team was the best we have ever had. They simply dominated everyone.

20. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    How many of you saw the 63 team play?
    I was born in 63. :yes:

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,423
    I'm too young to have seen the 1980 team play. Well, too young to have really known what I was seeing, anyways. :lol:

22. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    They certainly did, starting the season at 6-0 and nearly running away with the division early before a midseason slump.(they also beat the mighty Steelers twice that season/postseason)

They did benefit from a bit of good luck too, especially in the divisional game against the Dolphins. It was 21-6 in Miami’s favor when Natrone Means was stopped just short of the goal line on 4th down, but then the defense scored a safety and along with the 2 points, our offense got the ball back & scored, bringing us to within 6 points of the Dolphins and when Stan Humphries beat a blitz and hit Mark Seay for a touchdown later, John Carney’s extra point put us ahead. Miami took the ball and marched it downfield with a chance to win & eliminate us, but Pete Stoyanovich’s 48 yard attempt sailed wide as time expired, and we escaped with a heart stopping 22-21 win and advanced to the AFC Championship Game at Pittsburgh…we all know how that turned out! :yes: