1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

BFTB: Bolts & Dolts - Chargers @ Ravens

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Bolts
    Philip Rivers - 34/45, 383 pass yds, 3 pass TD, 1 INT
    El Capitan! This was a "vintage Rivers" game, if such a thing exists. No offensive line, no running game, no defense? No problem. Philip was getting rid of the ball quick, was accurate on every pass (when he wasn't getting hit or having the ball tipped), and won the game almost by himself. No matter your expectations for Rivers, he exceeded them on Sunday.

Keenan Allen - 11 catches (15 targets), 121 rec yds, 2 rec TDs
    I don't know what Rivers has been yelling at Allen about on the sidelines this season, but it seems to have finally made a difference. Allen is benefiting from the offense's new focus on getting the ball out quickly, and he's selling out to make each and every catch. He's playing at an All-Pro level, and he avoided making any mistakes this week.

Antonio Gates - 7 catches (8 targets), 83 rec yds
    Just when I thought Gates was starting to wind down his season a little early, he puts up this ridiculously efficient stat line. He's got that old man speed.

Eddie Royal - 9 catches (10 targets), 81 rec yds, 1 game-winning rec TD
    Welcome back, Eddie Royal! I have no idea where early-season Eddie had been, but it appears that late-season Eddie is here to do his thing. Reich made the proper adjustments to get Royal the ball in space with blockers in front of him, and it resulted in a lot of good things.

Corey Liuget - 6 tackles (5 solo), 3 tackles for loss
    Despite a horrendous performance from the defenders around him, Corey Liuget had one of his several great games that he has every year. In the second half, the Ravensknew better than to run at him, and they were giving offensive linemen extra help to keep him away from Joe Flacco. Yet, he still made an impact.

Brandon Flowers - 6 tackles (6 solo), 1 pass defended
    The most important free agent in the upcoming offseason has turned into a shutdown cornerback. He shadowed Steve Smith for most of the game, and Smith finished with 1 catch for 2 yards by the end of the game. That's the same Smith that has played brilliantly all season long. Flowers is incredible.

Kendall Reyes - 6 tackles (1 solo)
    My expectations for Kendall Reyes are awfully low, but he was beating most of his one-on-one blocks on Sunday and forcing Joe Flacco out of the pocket numerous times. Reyes vaguely resembled the rookie DE that Chargers fans were so excited about.

Dolts
    D.J. Fluker
    What an awful season Fluker continues to have. At one point in this game, BFTB writer Jerome Watson accused Fluker of "point-shaving" because of how poor he was playing. He can no longer pass block in his current state and he's an average run-blocker at best right now. It's too bad there's nobody on the bench that could do any better than that because he's reminding me an awful lot of Jeromey Clary.

All RBs not named Ryan Mathews
    Branden Oliver, "the future replacement for Ryan Mathews", got a single carry in this one. Donald Brown also got one carry. They totaled 5 rushing yards combined. Yes, the offensive line had it's issues, but these two stink. Mathews didn't have an incredible game, but he did take a 14-yard carry into the end zone for a touchdown and was consistently making plays.

Shareece Wright - 7 tackles (6 solo)
    Defenses have figured out that Wright is the weak link of a weak San Diego defense. He was thrown at 9 times by Flacco and yielded 7 catches for 62 yards and a touchdown. He may not be awful, but he is nowhere close to being as good as Flowers or Jason Verrett. Wright should be a decent nickel CB, but instead he's a poor starting CB.

Eric Weddle - 6 tackles (4 solo)
    One of the worst games I've ever seen from Weddle. He missed a key tackle, he was taking bad routes all game long (giving up some big plays as a result), and his man coverage was awful. He was thrown at 4 times and gave up 4 catches for 56 yards and a touchdown. This was, surprisingly, easy money for the Ravens.

Donald Butler - 2 tackles (0 solo)
    How in the hell do you play 52 snaps at ILB in a 3-4 defense, a position specifically made to rack up tackles, and get zero solo tackles? By being terrible, that's how. Add in the fact that the one time he was put in man-coverage he gave up a 15-yard catch to Justin Forsett, and this might be the worst game of a very bad season for Donald Butler. Not only was he ineffective, he was likely a detriment to a defense that can't afford any of those.

2. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I would have also added Melvin Ingram as a borderline Dolt! I haven't looked up his stats for the game opposite the Ravens, but he's really been mediocre at best, since his return from the PUP list this season. I saddens me to say this as I like Melvin, but just like Weddle, he did whiff a few times in the last two games. I really hope that both Weddle and Ingram truly earn their paychecks and redeem themselves while "hosting" Tommy Terrific and his Band ;)

3. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Fluker is really start'n to piss me off.......blown blocks and false starts. :mad: :poop:

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Flukers decline is concerning, he just can't handle speed rushers and it's clear that he knows it. I suspect that's why he's 2nd in the NFL in false start penalties, he's jumpy.

I wonder if that early ankle injury is hampering him, like Teo last season we won't find out about it until after the season.

On th positive, Keenan Allen is a freakin stud, as is Ryan Mathews when he has room to move.

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Donald Butler has been hot garbage this season. Ugh...it's money eatin players like him that keeps this team from stacking up to Elite Teams. Te'o is a BUST too. We need serious help at NT and ILB.

6. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    :confused:!!!

We'll be royally farged if these defenses start telling their offenses about Wright :eek:

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Watching the game again, it's clear Wright has none of the natural instincts of a guy like Flowers (Or even Verrett). He's a step slow to react to everything, and he panics when he has to turn his hips and track the ball over his shoulder, to the point where he's literally playing blind when going for deflections, hence all the PI calls.

We simply can't afford to let Flowers walk in the offseason, we have no other veterans to rely on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Hence why Wright is a nickel CB at best. I'm also disappointed in Steve Williams who doesn't seem to be even good enough to see the field in a nickel capacity. With a healthy tandem of Flowers & Verrett we could have a very special defensive backfield which is what we have been yearning for since, like umpteen years?!

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Nickel has become it's own starting position and shouldn't be seen as a demotion. It takes a different skill set, and time to learn how to cover in open space without the benefit of a sideline on either side. It's a position we should take a lot more seriously than simply exiling a failed LCB to the duty.

With that said, I don't think Wright has much value in any capacity more important than a 4th or 5th option when the injury bug hits.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'm looking forward to seeing what TT does to this D come the offseason, there is so much dross there.... I'd only look at keeping Liuget, Flowers, Verrett, Stuckey, Weddle, Mathews, Ingram, Gach and Attaochu. The rest are on the bubble for me if not out the door.

11. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Meta-dolt = team discipline. From ball control issues, to blown assignments, to stupid penalties, to questionable play calls...this team can become more consistent in all three phases of the game by eliminating mistakes.

• Agree Agree x 1