1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Big mouth has become Rivers' trademark

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Jun 13, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=39

Big mouth has become Rivers' trademark

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
    June 13, 2008

SAN DIEGO – Chris Chambers was at fellow wideout and St. Louis Ram Torry Holt's charity banquet in North Carolina earlier this spring when the San Diego Chargers' key 2007 midseason acquisition suddenly found himself in press coverage. Confronting Chambers was Dré Bly, the veteran cornerback who plays for the Denver Broncos and does not have fond memories of his most recent encounter with the AFC West rival Chargers.

"Why is your quarterback always talking so much mess?" Bly asked Chambers. "Nobody in the league likes that guy."

Chambers smiled and replied, "That's y'all's prerogative. But we love him."

ADVERTISEMENT

For all of the reasons to celebrate Philip Rivers – his emergence as a Pro Bowl passer in his first year as a starter, his impeccable off-the-field behavior, his exceptionally gutsy effort in last year's AFC Championship game after having torn his anterior cruciate ligament the week before – the fifth-year quarterback heads into the 2008 season as a 6-foot-5, 228-pound target. His well-documented fits of yapping at opposing players and fans has incurred the ire of countless others besides Bly. One veteran defensive back calls Rivers "the most obnoxious dude in the NFL."

Simply put, Rivers' mouth gets more attention than his arm. And thanks to the magic of 24-hour NFL television coverage and readily accessible Internet video, some of his more conspicuous displays of verbal instigation are there for public consumption in a way that, say, infamous Chargers washout Ryan Leaf never experienced.

"When you see it on TV, I'll be the first one to agree, it doesn't look that good," Rivers said Wednesday from the Chargers' training facility. "But there's nothing I say out there that I couldn't tell my six-year-old daughter. I don't curse, and I'm not saying anything out of line at all."

Rivers shook his head, shrugged his shoulders and waited for the inevitable follow-up question. An accessible and engaging interview subject, he typically becomes frustrated when asked to explain his penchant for talking smack, especially when the subject starts to dwarf the elements of his game he holds dearest. There he was on Wednesday, having fully participated in the Chargers' second-to-last offseason coaching session before training camp less than five months after having undergone major reconstructive knee surgery, a recovery that so far has been stunningly smooth and rapid.

"If I had to play a game this Sunday," he insisted, "I could."

That, of course, was the real story. But do a word-association game with the typical NFL fan – or player – outside of San Diego County, and Rivers is likely to provoke a far less complimentary response than courageous or heroic.

Both words applied last January in frigid Foxborough, Mass., where Rivers summoned what seemed to be a medical miracle. Having torn the ACL in his right knee in the Chargers' divisional playoff upset of the defending champion Colts in Indy, Rivers had an arthroscopic procedure to clean out the area the following day and set his sights on playing in the AFC Championship game six days later. With the knee heavily taped underneath a stabilizing brace, Rivers braved the 23-degree temperature (and a wind chill of nine degrees) at Gillette Stadium and hung tough against the undefeated Patriots, completing 19 of 37 passes for 211 yards in a 21-12 defeat.

That effort elevated Rivers in the eyes of his teammates, who already appreciated him for his intelligence and cool under fire. "That he played at all was amazing," Chambers says. "He really proved a lot."

It was a defining moment for Rivers, the No. 4 overall pick in the '04 draft who sat for two seasons as Drew Brees' understudy before taking over as the starter. He played well enough in '06 to make the Pro Bowl but wilted down the stretch as the top-seeded Chargers flopped in their playoff opener against the Pats. Last season, conversely, Rivers was shaky early on as he tried to adjust to new coach Norv Turner's offensive system. But in leading the Chargers to victories in their final six regular season games and first two playoff contests, Rivers completed 133 of 214 passes (62.1 percent) for 1,656 yards, throwing 14 touchdowns and only five interceptions for a cumulative passer rating of 98.2.

Clearly, he had the hot hand. But, as his critics are quick to point out, Rivers tends to come off like a hothead. Some examples:

• After the home playoff defeat to the Pats in January of '07, Rivers, angered by what he felt were taunting celebrations by New England players, approached cornerback Ellis Hobbs and called him "the sorriest corner in the league."

• When the Chargers were booed at home in Week 12 against the Baltimore Ravens, cameras caught Rivers gesturing to San Diego fans and saying "Shut up!" In the regular season finale, he got into it with Raiders fans in Oakland. He also jawed at Colts fans in the playoff game at the RCA Dome, telling them "I'll be back" while heading to the locker room after hurting his knee.

• He had several shouting matches with All-Pro halfback LaDainian Tomlinson on the sidelines, including an oft-replayed tiff during the Chargers' pivotal victory over the Titans in Nashville last December.

• Most notoriously, Rivers walked onto the field to taunt Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler after a Chargers defensive stand late in San Diego's 23-3 victory, an incident that undoubtedly helped shape Bly's unfavorable opinion.

All of which has Rivers, a married father of four who teammates describe as a clean-living homebody, wondering how so many outsiders can be so mistaken about him. Citing Brett Favre's celebrated on-field woofing with Warren Sapp – "Though obviously those guys have earned the right to say whatever they want," Rivers qualifies – he insists that everything he says is in the spirit of good, clean fun.

"You want to make a good impression with the public, and I agree that it's a fine line between playing with emotion and taking things too far," Rivers says. "But I'm not doing it to get attention or for any reason other than to have a good time. If we can't have fun playing the game, then I don't want to play. I really don't. If we have to tone down the emotions to the point where it's no fun, that's just silly."

To his credit, Rivers resists all efforts to play up his improbable effort in the AFC Championship game. This is yet another indication that Rivers, the son of an Alabama high school football coach, doesn't possess the prima donna tendencies expected of him by many of his critics.

"There were a couple of times when the knee buckled (against the Patriots) and I had to catch myself, but I didn't feel like there was any throw I made the whole game that was affected by the knee," he says. "I liked all the compliments I got from my teammates, and I know things like that help you gain respect. But we didn't win, which was the purpose of my playing in the first place.

"The bottom line is: It ain't gonna last forever. Two years from now, people aren't gonna say, 'Oh, he played with a torn ACL, let's give him a free pass.' "

Rivers had reconstructive surgery three days after the New England game, then watched as Eli Manning – the quarterback for whom he was traded on draft day – reinvented himself by leading the Giants to a shocking Super Bowl XLII upset of the Pats. Though it might sound like sacrilege in San Diego, where Manning is reviled for having told the Chargers he wouldn't play for them before the '04 draft, Rivers openly rooted for Peyton's oft-criticized kid brother to beat New England.

"I really was pulling for Eli," Rivers says. "We will always be linked, and I think (the trade) worked out for both of us. I was glad he won a championship, and that's something we can do, too. We're proud of what we accomplished last year, but now anything short of winning it all will be disappointing."

Though Rivers insists he won't curb his enthusiasm, he does plan to make one behavioral modification. "Looking back at the way some of the stuff went down, I may cut out talking to the fans," he says. "I agree that it doesn't look good, and I can probably better direct my energies elsewhere."

Whether Rivers can stick to that plan remains to be seen. Says Chambers: "He'll probably calm down from a little bit of that stuff, but when he gets emotional, I don't see him backing down anytime soon. Guys from all over the league are always telling me, 'I don't like your quarterback,' but personally I like a gutsy, fiery guy – he gets me going.

"He holds no punches, whether he's talking to our guys or guys on (the opposing) defense. It rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But we know him. We know what he's about inside. And that's the guy we want leading our team."

• Like Like x 1
  2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    NICE!!! :tup:

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Dré Bly is a whines like a little girl, just like Cutler. They must get that from their coach. :lol: Seriously, how thin-skined do you have to be, to be offended by a guy that doesn't cuss? The chop blocking Donkeys are a classless club.

The Chargers are very lucky to have Rivers, the guy is going to lead us to the Super Bowl. Come on September!

4. BleedBLUE&GOLD

BleedBLUE&GOLD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    This is what matters to me - who cares about what players from other teams think. They'll hate him even more when he wins a championship!:abq2::abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Funny, its almost as if Dre Bly is trying to shift attention away from his own play against Rivers isn't it? How is that going by the way Dre? Oh? Not so well eh?

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

BleedBLUE&GOLD, I love your avatar but at the same time, it frustrates me... knowing that the NFL has outlawed the stiff arm.

Absolute garbage!!! :icon_evil:

Great post, BTW!!!

7. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    The Donks are little *****es, and they will never beat Rivers because he has already succeeded in getting inside their heads. BTW, Jared Allen says that he liked playing against Rivers because he was one of the only quarterbacks in the league who would talk back to him.

8. BleedBLUE&GOLD

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks, bro. I agree, but I was still unclear about the rule - I thought it would be ok to use the stiff arm but NOT grab the facemask of an defender...:icon_huh:

If the stiffarm is outlawed, then maybe my avatar is sort of an homage...:unsure:

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It can't be in the face at all. It can be in the chest. This stupid rule begins this season

10. BleedBLUE&GOLD

Ratings:
    +5
    Well, that sucks:tdown:

Thanks for the clarification.:icon_toast:

11. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    Boo Hoo Hoo. Dre' Bly got his backside handed to him in both games against the Bolts last season. Bly was consistently out of position and was beat badly on routes. PR has every right to talk smack because he can back it up.

Can you make the same claim Bly?

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    What cracks me up is they all bag on Rivers, but don't talk about Cutler grabbing his jock and talking **** to the D that was owning his *** that day.

13. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Lombardo is again taking liberties with the truth. After reading Lombardo's story, uninformed fans would believe that Philip actually DID all of those things, and in a worst spirit possible.

When in fact, as Rivers was leaving the field in Indy for treatment, fans were yelling "You Suck!", and Rivers was responding with "Thank you! I'll be back!"

Not exactly an example of "shooting his mouth off".

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    First off PR jabbing at the fans was nothing. It was really as simple as "I will be back" and "Thank You".

Sure he shouldn't waste his time, but I find it strange PR is still remember for jawing to the Colts fan who booed the Child and Charger "fans" who chanted Marty and booed the Charger team. Looking back remember fans being criticized for doing that, yet now they seem to have been given a free pass. Next time Lombardo needs to write about Cutler talking smack and bring about how equally classless Charger and Colt fans were.

Another point is the slow evolution of football into less of a sport. It reminds me of the civil war stories when families would gather for picnic watching battles early on as if the savage display was civilized.

Football (or soccer in Europe) has players talk smack to each other all the time. Ya they take dives, but then you have players talk about their mothers, say racial comments, swear, pinch etc anything to draw foul and other things. The entire Zinedine incident for example. Then you have the entire fan "interaction" fighting, name calling, etc of players. Even riots.

Football, American, has taken a backseat to a game like soccer, who has more aggressive fans and players. I don't hear any soccer players whining about being called names.

I did hear the use of steroids can make the men more feminine. Maybe Dre should stay off them, at least until he grows a pair back.

• Like Like x 1
  15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Bly doesnt like Rivers because he CLOWNS HIM!!! Bly has been absolutely embarrassed on the field by Philip Rivers.

Same with Bailey for that matter, 4 strait times now!

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Why was Cutler over near SD's sideline REPEATEDLY during that game, especially in the second half? ESPN didn't quite mention that.

Cutler was the one mouthing off. Rivers didn't taunt him, but basically told Cutler to shut the hell up.

17. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

That's a great line ....
    :lol:

:bolt:

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    You know, there is one way to shut PR. Unfortunately for the likes of Bly and Bailey, they just can't make it happen. These guys are in grudge mode because they're dumb enough to let it break their concentration. They're venting at Rivers because they are as pissed off at themselves as anyone else.

19. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Does it occur to those two Donkey idjuts that all they are doing is giving Rivers and the Chargers more bulletin board material?

It's okay for Donkey CB's to talk smack, but not okay for a Chargers QB to do so.

I missed that in Logic 101 ......

• Like Like x 1
  20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Certain QBs do jawjack alot, like brett favre or tom brady or any other example, and they're seen as being competitive and fiery. In part at least because Rivers is 1) young 2) on the Chargers 3) has gotten into it with FANS as opposed to JUST players, he's a 'bad guy'.

But yeah Bly, what a whiny little beyatch. And frankly Silver should have done half an ounce of research and asked about that incident with Cutler and he would have found that Cutler had been mouthing off all goddamn game but ESPN decided (hmmm..) not to pay attention to that

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Donkeys+Logic = oxymoron. (Logic 102). You should have taken the the second semester. This gives the Chargers a psychological edge over the Donks. Not only is it bulletin board material, but what will happen if Rivers looks Bly in the eye and says, "Poor ba-a-a-beeeee!!!!!". My crystal ball says it's probably good for at least one fifteen yarder. Might even be good for a TD in the red zone. Timing is everything. Once when I was in the conning tower, we planted a green flair on the deck of the Independence, right in the middle of the battle group. Talked some shite then, too. The Admiral sounded a lot like Bly.

22. Blue and gold machine

Blue and gold machine BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    The chop blocking Donkeys are a classless club.

NO SH!T!!!! Remember that game when Tom Nalen jumped at Igors knees after the whistle was blown!!! I was so mad I almost ran onto the field to chop block that cheap bastard!

Bly's just mad that their offense put up 6 POINTS on us last year...6 POINTS!!!! Rivers is gonna exploit those overrated denver corners this year!

Is it September yet?

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    and lets not forget Rivers cut that defense up good and bly especially. He threw two touchdowns, including VJ burning bly three times once for a TD where Bly wasn't even trying. And then Rivers whooped their *** for about 60% of the game, earned enough stats and decided to go take a breather and let Billy Volek stomp on the broncos.

Rivers is going to absolutely go NUTS against teh Broncos this year - I'm saying 335yds and three tds PER GAME against the Donkeys. Any takers?

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Rivers is winning. That is the only reason Bly is all bent...

25. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106

Attached Files:

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Here, Phil, I'll say it for you since you don't talk this way .....

Phuck Dre Bly, the Donks, Jay Cutler, Classless fans, & the rest of you who can't respond to my game with anything but biotching, whining, & losing!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  27. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Rivers owns the Donks and they simply can not handle that fact. They need to stfu and deal with their own problems like their lame coach who is in way over his rat ***.:lol::bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Hi Jacked this from somewhere else.
    Was part of an ESPN Insider raking of DB tandems.

29. BleedBLUE&GOLD

Ratings:
    +5
    Exactly, PR is in their heads. They're letting him psych them out or something!:icon_tease:
    Great points - this discussion most likely not have as much publicity if he would be in the league longer AND like mentioned in #2, it seems people like to hate on the Chargers, especially after some success.