1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Big Question: Will A.J. Smith cave?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]
    Expect Chargers general manager A.J. Smith to play hardball with holdouts Marcus McNeill and Vincent Jackson.

ESPN
    By Bill Williamson
    6-29-2010

San Diego's Marcus McNeill and Vincent Jackson may stage contract holdouts. Is there a chance San Diego general manager A.J. Smith will cave in and give the two players new contracts to avoid the holdouts?

Let’s get to the meat of this quickly. I don’t see any chance that Smith will give in to these two guys.

I think that is the big reason why there is such a dire feel here. I believe everyone involved realizes that Smith is ready to play hardball.

This is a man who doesn’t blink.

If we get to early September and McNeill, a standout left tackle, and Jackson, a Pro Bowl receiver, are still staying away, Smith will simply move forward.

Jackson is well aware that Smith is entrenched and knows if he does stay away from the team (which he plans to do) Smith will be ready for a fight.

There is little chance Smith will give McNeill and Jackson new contracts before training camp to avoid this mess. His stance: If these players don’t want to play for him, he doesn’t want them to play for him.

That’s why he signed Tra Thomas as insurance for a McNeill holdout and Josh Reed as insurance for a Jackson holdout. That’s why when McNeill and Jackson didn’t sign their restricted free-agency tenders by the deadline, Smith said things like “we lost two players today.” He acted as if McNeill and Smith left the league. And if they hold out, they might as well leave the league as far as Smith is concerned.

Smith is a calculated, smart man who is not going to be bullied. He is going to fight his fight.

So, if you think Smith will cave, think again. It won’t happen.

2. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    He is right, so he shouldn't cave. I also agree with the sentiment that if you don't want to be here, I don't want you here.

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    John Wayne cave?? Never gonna happen

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The Chargers shouldn't bend for these guy's. Can they assign them to a did not sign/did not report list to keep them away from the team once the season starts?

Two years is a long time to be away from the game if there is a lockout next year. I guess they could always go play in the UFL or CFL.

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I've been wondering something similar. Or rather, with regard to V-Jax... though it would probably murder the relationship with him beyond repair... but I believe the team is still within it's rights to issue it's own suspension (separate and not necessarily concurrent from/with the one issued by the league) for conduct detrimental to the team for Jackson's repeated DUI, and under league rules that CDttT suspension can be as many as 4 games. That said, it would be a fairly obvious move to prevent the player from accruing his "year of service"... though if he's physically able to play, has been tendered the highest possible tender shy of getting a new lucrative contract, and voluntarily sits out until the absolute last possible moment, I don't really consider that "service" on par with the spirit of the rules. It would surely be something that would be appealed by the player's union, but then again, maybe something like this needs to be.

6. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I heard AJ is coming out with his own brand of toilet paper... Its rough and tough and doesn't take shiit off of anyone...:icon_eek:

7. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I love how these "me-first" players want to ditch their team mates for most of the season, but then come in for the last six games so they can count this season.

Pure selfishness. The Chargers took a chance on both of these guys and this is how you repay the team that has treated you well.

Jackson is looking for over $750,000 PER GAME. Yeah, he's worth it. That's almost twice the salary of the United States president's YEARLY salary.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    This question keeps popping up and yet AJ Smith has not caved versus anyone; not Drew Brees, Not LT, Not Hannik Milligan or Antonio Gates or Shawne Merriman

Why is it thought he would now?

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Yes, but to paraphrase a famous joke : Jackson had a better year. :lol:

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    if these players want to come back before the season starts then AJ should cave and give them the full amount of the tender (3mil +), other than that no

I'd love it if AJ made an offer like "first one to sign gets his full tender plus the full tender of the other guy, to the other guy...see you in week 11"

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Will Pigs fly?

Will hell freeze over?

Will *** ever be back at BT?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I think we all should know what a.j. is doing by now. He'll wait for how long it takes for things to fall into place .:yes: