1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Biggest need?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by And_1, Jan 30, 2014.

1. And_1

And_1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello everyone,
    Just wanted to see what you guys thought was the biggest need for the chargers in the upcoming draft? I personally feel that you can address any need on the line through smart free agency signings and the other positions should be dealt with through the draft. I would love for us to get an OLB in the first round or gamble a bit and go with a CB. I personally don't like addressing CB until the second or third round.

2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    CB class is so deep, same to WRs and RBs. Fortunately, we have needs there. Positions of need for us are NT/DE and OL and also OLB. Aside from the OL, those other positions are quite limited when you start talking about players who can hold down a starting position in the future.

All depends what we do in FA as well and who of our own guys we re-sign. Also, if we make any cuts or guys retire.

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    OLB, NT and CB are all about tied for me. But that might change after FA starts.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Agreed..

Top Tier Needs: OLB, CB, NT
    2nd Tier Needs: WR, RB, OG
    3rd Tier Needs: DE, OT, TE

Of course FA will have a big factor in how we use the draft, like TT said, FA will supplement the draft, which is a great strategy, certainly worked this year.

5. Moses

Moses Yeah Buddy!

Ratings:
    +276
    Personally I'd say NT & CB are our biggest needs. I think the pass rush with Ingram looked much improved, and look forward to having Freeney back, so I don't put that at the top.

Our secondary has been poor, Cox hasn't been the guy who we thought he could be. How much of that was a bye product of poor pass rush up top and just a loss of confidence I don't know, but either way we need to address this area.

NT is thing for me, How many times did we just let the team we played against run it up the middle with success against us? Felt like every game I watched us lose, it always seemed to happen frequently.

I'd be happy to go with BPA in the first and second round for CB, OLB, OT, NT, they are all needs we will need to do something about, it's just a question of priority for the front office.

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I don't think Freeney is a sure thing at all, we have less than 1 mil in cap space as it stands now, and we need space for Butler and draft picks at the least. It seems Clary, Freeney and Royal are all likely cap casualties.

7. And_1

And_1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I feel as if relying on Freeney is unwise. After watching this superbowl, my knee jerk reaction is holy sh!t!!! We need to really upgrade the D to stand a chance but to be honest, Im comfortable with McCoy doing a good job with more talent through the draft and getting lucky on 1 or 2 free agent signings. I still want a beast pass rusher and maybe a CB.

8. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    While I agree that OLB isnt a need, i will be disapointed if we dont add some more quality pass rushing talent.

9. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I have no strong feeling as to what they'll do with Freeney. But if they keep him, it would make sense to take a developmental OLB prospect later and let him come along behind the veterans (rather than spend a high pick). That, of course, changes if we come across great value at OLB high in the draft.

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Obviously, the powers that be know 1000x what we do, re. where Freeney is at,
    physically, thus how much might be expected of him re. 2014.

From where I stand, however, it's hard to see Freeney as a resource Charger fans can rely on.
    (all due respect, given his excellent NFL resume)

11. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    I would agree. The only thing that gives me pause is how effective he was against HOU and PHI before getting hurt. They may decide that keeping him strictly as a nickel rusher (what they should have done with him in the first place) is worth it.

I'm really just spit balling here. Neither cutting nor keeping would shock me. But I do see how positions like NT, CB, G, WR, etc could be prioritized over OLB if they kept him.

12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    Part of my thinking is that, for a guy who got sidelined that early in his 12th season,
    at a very physical position, what's reasonable (not hopeful) to expect in season # 13?

13. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +132
    Hard to say. But it's certainly MORE reasonable to expect some help as a sub package pass rusher, as opposed to an every down player. Takes a lot of the physicality out of it.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,642
    Even if we are to regard Freeney as a resource, he's a resource that is primarily limited to pass rushing situations. The Chargers could stand to have another OLB who could, if not immediately then, move into the starting line up in a year when both Freeney and J. Johnson head on their way. There are some intriguing options that don't have to be first rounders (Attaouch, Van Noy, T. Murphy, Marcus Smith) that could be 2nd/3rd rounders after addressing areas like Cornerback.

With fantastic depth in some areas of absolute need (cornerback, wide receiver, OLB) the Chargers can afford to let the board come to them and take the best player at one of those areas of need. Someone is bound to drop or slip, and the Chargers could seriously take advantage of it. The areas of need where such isn't the case, like offensive guard and nose tackle, it might be up to the Chargers to really hunt for them in free agency.

15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +496
    Id go with NT, yeah I know they take time to develop, but a strong push up the middle, occupying two blocker would do wonders for the rest of the defense (free up the DEs which would allow the OLB to get there faster which in turn would make the secondary's job easier)

Then draft CB, OLB, OG, WR

16. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    1. OLB and NT hands down are the biggest needs.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  17. RobertD.Lewis

RobertD.Lewis BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to see them get one of these mountain sized NT scouts keep talking about and let the coaching staff mold him into what we want. The CB's class is so deep it's still possible to get a good one in a later round, even though there's a lot of great ones for TT to look at in the 1st and 2nd round. I'm also pulling for De'Anthony Thomas (WR\KR) to fall late enough so we can steal him too.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014