1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Biggest wastes of roster space / cap room on our team...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    My candidates:

1. Matt Wilhelm: On top of tackling like a b!tch, the guy can't keep his mouth shut. Could barely outplay Derek Smith who was nearly blind and possibly the worst LB in the NFL when we had him.

2. Buster Davis. The only things IMO keeping him on our roster are AJ's ego...and the fact that he can pull double duty as an adequate punt returner...Is this guy ever going to see the field for more than 2 consecutive games? Unbelievable that he was a first round pick.

3. Jeromey Clary. Why? The coaches must see something....but to this point he hasn't given us anything more than Shane Olivea.....which is essentially the worst RT play in the entire league. Average-mediocre pass blocker...mediocre-bad run blocker. We have a better OT on the roster....why can't LJ Shelton start? I hope to god this guy gets in the weight room this offseason.

4. Nick Hardwick. He is a perfect example of what a joke the pro-bowl has become. He can't block anyone by himself...He is probably better suited as a long-snapper than full time center.....He may be a heady player, but I'm awfully tired of seeing our line cave right up the middle on both running and passing plays when he doesn't receive a lot of help. We can do better. Nick is the only thing Terdell Sands has to look forward to this season.

5. Luis Castillo. We have no one else....so I can't complain that he's here...but it's put up or shut up time for Luis....Right now he is the single most overpaid player on this roster. A zero impact player to this point, who is getting paid like a star. Sure, we've seen spurts of "potential"...but it's time for some production. He's lucky Olshansky was equally underperforming and had less upside.

Flame away..or offer other candidates / opinions as you like.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Clinton "Neck Roll" Hart

• Like Like x 1
  3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    If you want one person that doesn't depend on the players and schemes that surround him then

Kaeding....

Otherwise, it's a teams game. You get out of your players what you coach and scheme.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    The poster in here who's name escapes me right now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    roster space and cap room are 2 entirely different things and even so some of those guys wouldn't/shouldn't be on the list in either.

1. Wilhelm - Never liked him, not sure what AJ saw in him in the 1st place but I'm willing to give him a shot to make the team.

2. Buster - He's only been on the team 2 seasons. To cut him would be stupid at this point unless he clearly shows he doesn't care or becomes a cancer, which he hasn't done either. I see the potential is there so I haven't given up on him yet.

3. Clary - Wouldn't/shouldn't be on either list, one he easily would be a solid backup and two he makes very little money.

4. Hardwick - His probably his staying at weight, he was injured last season so that could of been a reason, but he's a quality guy who can play like a pro-bowler when he's at his weight.

5. Castillo - Right now he's a lot of cap space being wasted on but he still deserves his roster spot.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Kaeding is a waste!

7. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Agree with all and ill add that Castilo has played well til last season when he played with a bad back. He has been injured more than you would like but he always played well til his play slipped last season. I expect him to rebound.

8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I just dont get the Kaeding bashing :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  9. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Especially not since the AFC Championship in New England.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Clary?

Really?

I don't get why we should zero in on a guy that is in the top half of the starters at his position. There are plenty of other positions that we need to address, DE, SS, ILB, OG.

To me this is like the sign Julian Peppers thread. Why focus on a position that is not of need?

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I agree with most of what you said but I this is the other way of looking at it...

1. Matt Wilhelm: He was solid through out other seasons. Our entire defense was so bad last season (with the exception of Jammer, Dobbins, Williams, and Cason)... lets see what Ron can get out of these guys. I'm one of the few that wanted Igor to stay until we got Bernett in return.

2. Buster Davis. Third year receiver... Must or Bust season!!!

3. Jeromey Clary. Why? I'm not sure either right now.

4. Nick Hardwick. Our whole offensive line sucked last season but I wouldn't give up on Nick yet.

5. Luis Castillo. See the part about Wilhelm. Not to mention, with Merriman back... I expect to see Castillo back!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    Matt Wilhelm & C.Hart

13. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Do we need another history lesson tonight? :lol: I guess it has been a little while since we needed a clutch kick.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    1. Matt Wilhelm
    2. Clinton Hart
    3. Buster Davis
    4. Shaun Phillips
    5. Castillo/Jyles Tucker - TBD

15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Same here. Don't know about you, but I'll take a kicker who can make a 57 yarder with ease like him any day.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Either that, or "some" of us have gotten over that and realize HE wasn't the REAL reason we lost that game.

But that's just me. :icon_tease:

17. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    L.J. Shelton.

My God, if you can't displace Jeromey Clary or Mike Goff from the lineup, you CAN'T possibly be worth the cap space you're taking up.

Marques Harris would've gotten my vote as well, but he's already been cut. I've also gotta think that the Bolts could carry just TWO quarterbacks, with Rivers and Volek, and save themselves whatever it is that Charlie Whitehurst costs.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    No lesson needed. On many occasions, Keading has been impressive BUT... he never seems to come through when we need him most.

One example was the Pittsburgh game last season. That was going to be a low scoring game and you need every point you can get. Which means the kicker is going to be very busy and needs to make the field goals.
    He seems to struggle in those kinds of games.

I'm not a Keading hater but at this moment, I'm not really a fan either. Consistency is the key!

19. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    The only two I can think of are Whilhelm and hart. The rest are at least serviceable as backups.

20. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Wilhelm
    Hart
    Glasstillo

21. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I don't hate Kaeding,

I hate the fact he can't kick the ball in the end zone. Seems like teams started on their 35 yard line every kickoff

We had the most kickoffs in the league, had a grand total of 8 touch backs. Probably 5 of them in Denver

:bolt:

22. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    It's hard to kick touchbacks. Teams did not start on the 35 every drive. Nate has plenty of leg--see 57-yard field goal at Tampa.

Nate is one of the reasons our kickoff coverage is so good, because he is good at directional kicking. That means you don't always get it into the end zone, but it makes the receiving team have to adjust and helps out our coverage team a lot. It's no coincidence that in 2007 when Nate stopped doing kickoffs towards the end of the year our coverage got worse.

23. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I don't like to quote stats, but........

while it's true our average return yards was middle of the pack (22 yards) (Pitt being #1 at 19), not a big deal, but when Nate kicks it to the 10 every time, that equates to the 30 yard line

btw - Carolina had 30 touchbacks. or 33% of their kick offs

Nate - 8%

:icon_sad:

24. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    But didn't we get just as far as Carolina in the playoffs?

25. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Not sure what that has to do with anything.

I never said Nate's noodle leg had anything to do with how far we made it into the playoffs

:icon_huh:

26. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Then why was everyone saying that it was unrealistic for him to make a 54 yarder against the Pats in the 2006 playoffs? :flail:

27. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Out of the 32 kickers where does Nate rate? Doesn't matter. This is a team game and the PLAN is what makes it happen. The offensive line was overpowered on many plays due to the obvious play calling. Telegraph anyone? 1st down run to the 4 hole. 2nd down run to the 2 hole. 3rd down throw. Next series. 1st down run to the 2 hole. 2nd down run to the 4 hole. 3rd down throw behind LT out in the flat. (Rivers is a great QB but can he hit LT in stride?!?) I say stop with the predictable and start disguising what you are doing. You can still run the same plays just stop showing what they know you are going to do. I must say the a true test is to line up and see if they can stop you but when they do you must adjust. Oh and Nate is the greatest since Rolf.

28. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

29. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Because HE wasn't the reason we lost the game? :icon_shrug:

30. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    I also think that to put a game on a kicker is a cheesey way of winning. Sometimes I think a kick in OT is a cheep win. Should be by a TD. But a win is a win and we hate it when they kick one but love it when we kick one. Nate is not cap waste. Where does he rate again?