1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Parcells retires...don't go Wade.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Burley, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Burley

Burley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I hope wade doesn't end up in dallas...

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,545
    Just read this...:icon_eek:

3. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66

4. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Please don't go wade!

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,886
    We'd lose our OC and DC
    and Wade, from my sources, really wants to get into coaching and isn't willing to wait for Marty to step aside. not to mention the Cowboys are a prestigious team

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    I think Wade deserves a shot as well, but he should not go there. TO is a fuking cancer and will mess up his coaching world there.

Hell, do you really think if TO was not on that team that Parcells would still retire?

7. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm not going to worry too much til they announce who their headcoach will be. But I will keep my fingers crossed.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,886
    they will hvae to go through the whole coaching process anyway which includes interviewing minority candidates so it'll take some time. But my source has confirmed Wade's VERY high on the list

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Its been mentioned that the cowturds would probably have to give up a draft pick or two to get a coach that is under contract from another team.

10. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,886

not a coordinator, lord knows the Dolphins aren't paying us anything for Cam nor the Browns for Chud

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +674
    Not if that coach is a Coordinator moving to a HC job. Doesn't apply.

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Well thats a bummer. I wonder if it could be clause in the contract that would restrict loosing wade for nothing. Just a hope.

13. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    How many shots does he get? I mean obviously it is well known he wants to be HC again but does anybody want to him from his history.

14. BIG WILLIE STYLE

BIG WILLIE STYLE BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    First Cam, now maybe Wade?!?!?

Great...just great.:no:

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Don' do it Wade :no:

16. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    Manusky's ready, but I am afraid he would bolt with Marty after next year.

17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,886
    my source says that Wade will be interviewed sometime later this week for the head coaching job

18. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Here is a list of possibilities.

Bill Cowher, former Pittsburgh Steelers head coach: Jones at least has to make the phone call. Wayne Huizenga of the Dolphins contacted Cowher's people and let him know of the Dolphins' interest. Cowher's intention is to sit out the 2007 season and maybe longer. No one expects him to change that position. For the Cowboys to be able to acquire Cowher, they would have to make a trade. The cost probably would be three high draft choices spread over two or three years. Cowher is so good, it could cost a first, a second and a third starting in 2007, but consider this option an incomplete pass.
    Jeff Fisher, Tennessee Titans head coach: Forget about it. Bud Adams wouldn't let Fisher out of his contract in 2007 for five draft choices. Plus, he would never let one of the top coaching assets in the NFL go to Dallas when Bud lives in Houston. This one is impossible. The Titans were very clear Monday night. "Dallas has not requested permission to speak to Coach Fisher and in the event they did, there are no circumstances under which permission would be granted," Chief operating office Steve Underwood told The Tennessean in Nashville.
    Mike Martz, Detroit Lions offensive coordinator: Jones is on the competition committee and that allows him the chance to get to know a lot of the top coaches. He got to know Martz when the former Rams head coach was on the competition committee. Fresh in Jones' mind is how Martz' Lions breezed through the Cowboys' defense in the regular-season finale with street free agents in the backfield and a converted undrafted safety at wide receiver. Jones knows the value of the quarterback position, and he knows Martz could do good things with Tony Romo.
    Wade Phillips, San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator: The Cowboys were a disappointing 3-4 defense last season. Phillips runs one of the best 3-4 schemes in the league. He keeps it simple. He lets playmakers make plays. His blitz schemes aren't complicated. Phillips has head coaching experience in Denver and Buffalo and has been a winner.
    Ron Rivera, Chicago Bears defensive coordinator: Jones can't interview Rivera until Feb. 5 -- the day after the Super Bowl -- but Rivera would be an ideal choice. The Steelers thought he was so ready to be a head coach that they were willing to give him a second interview had the Bears lost Sunday. Then it would have been Rivera going against Mike Tomlin of the Vikings. When the Bears had the fourth-quarter lead, the Steelers made their formal offer to Tomlin and made him their coach. The problem of waiting until Feb. 5, though, is the difficulty of getting a great staff together.
    Bob Stoops, Oklahoma Sooners head coach: No, this isn't a repeat of the Barry Switzer scenario. It's going to take a lot more convincing to get Stoops to leave Oklahoma. Stoops would be the biggest name available for the Cowboys. As a defensive-oriented coach, Stoops could do good things with the talent assembled by Parcells. The problem is getting Stoops out of Oklahoma. Money won't be a problem. Jones could pay him $4.5 million to $5 million a year. The problem is college coaches without NFL experience struggle and often fail. Of course, Jerry did have success with Switzer and Jimmy Johnson.
    Jim Mora, Seattle Seahawks assistant head coach: Mora is pretty well settled after accepting the assistant head coaching position with the Seahawks on Sunday. It gave him a chance to return to Seattle, where he went to college. It also gave him a chance to work with Mike Holmgren. Mora took the Falcons to the NFC Championship Game in his first season as head coach and at least deserves to be on any list.
    Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach: The Tony Dungy coaching tree is a pretty good one. Dungy is facing his former assistant Lovie Smith in the Super Bowl. Caldwell was active in a lot of job interviews after the regular season ended. He is a solid person and a good coach.
    Mike Zimmer, Atlanta Falcons defensive coordinator: One of the bad parts of Parcells' late decision is that the Cowboys didn't have a chance to retain Zimmer. Parcells was going to go a different direction and probably give Todd Bowles the job if he returned. Jerry Jones always has liked Zimmer, who is more of a 4-3 coach, but he learned the 3-4 working for Parcells. He knows the talent and could be of service.
    Norv Turner, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator: Turner made a big mistake trying to bail out the Raiders a couple of years ago, but it allowed him to return to the Bay Area to live and work. The 49ers gave him a chance to coach offense and not move, and Turner and his family liked that. It's hard for coaches to get three chances at head coaching jobs and Turner's already been a head coach with the Redskins and the Raiders. Jones likes Turner and rightfully so. When Troy Aikman was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Turner was the presenter. He meant a lot to Aikman and the Cowboys, but Jones would have to do some convincing for Turner to take one more chance at head coaching. He has a playoff team brewing with Mike Nolan in San Francisco.
    Mike Sherman, Houston Texans offensive coordinator: The former Packers coach gained a lot of praise for his help in maturing the Texans' running game even though it didn't have much running talent. Sherman has been active in several head coaching searches. He has a good offensive mind and is very organized. Plus, he was a playoff regular when he was with the Packers.

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,886
    Cowher - no way, he's retired
    Fisher - no way, a God in Tennessee
    Rivera - will be too late since hte Bears are in the super bowl
    Martz - does he really mesh with the Cowboys?
    Phillips - good possibility
    Mora/Sherman - already signed to new jobs/new deals
    Caldwell - good possibility especially with their recent success but like rivera
    Zimmer - Doubtful considering the Cowboys have been stocked these past few years to be a 3-4
    Turner - Thought of more as an offensive genius then a good head coach
    Stoops - Good possibility but stock took a hit with their loss to Boise State

20. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,057
    I had a Raider fan believing that Wade Phillips was going to Dallas, and that we had all ready had Rob Ryan the Raiders defensive coordinator coming down here to San Diego because he was pisssed at Al for taking Kiffin over him

21. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    I for one will be happy if Wade leaves. His 'simple' defense keeps other teams in ballgames they shouldn't be in. Dude is equally responsible for the playoff loss as the rest of em. Everyone is like "chargers defense" this and "chargers defense" that. Our defense is average. Once we start limiting teams to 6-13 points a game, I will pimp our defense.

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Without a couple of mindless blunders by players (Florence and McCree), we would have held NE to 13 points.

When this defense was fully healthy this year, they played very well. I'm not willing to hang Wade out to dry just yet. Our nickel schme could use some tweaking, but our base defense is rock solid.

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,847
    Agreed. Though his or Marty's knack for going prevent at the end of halfs is still a matter of frustration to me. But no one should be able to refute that our D has been very good to say the least under Wade and Marty.

24. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    quite honestly i never gave wade much respect or credit as a head coach, he's a dc not a head man imo. i don't think going to dallas would result in any kind of longevity as far as his career is concerned, dallas is looking for a quick fix till the next big name becomes available. stay here wade.

25. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    If Wade leaves, someone make sure he takes his prevent defense with him!!

26. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    What else is Parcells going to do sit on his fat *** and get fatter :lol: