1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Simmons CHARGERS WILL NOT WIN ANOTHER GAME ALL SEASON!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JohnnyX, Nov 22, 2014.

1. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,421
    We just saw the Raiders beat the Chiefs and he thinks he can still read the future in NFL games?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    "A-gah-gah-gah-gah-gah-gah!"

4. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    But that's the Raiders, there's no way the NFL was gonna let their darling franchise have Ofer season. It's all about merchandise with them and a brand.

Regardless this OLINE is the worst in the league and Rivers is banged up. It's like 2012 all over again.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,421
    Do you really think the Raiders would be going 12 years and counting failing to win more than 8 games if the NFL wanted to protect them through covert means?

I'm not saying the Chargers are going to win any of the games left on their schedule, I'm just also not going to say they're going to lose them. If any of us had that kind of true clairvoyance we'd be making millions on bookie bets in Vegas.

Any given Sunday....the Jets also beat the Steelers this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Optimists. :rolleyes:

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    :eek: You're killin' me!!! :eek:

The Raiders haven't had a winning season since '02, and you think the NFL is giving them special treatment?!?

Okay, maybe Goodell should be fired!! Evidently he can't even play favorites properly!

Screen Shot 2014-11-22 at 5.44.44 PM.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Comedy gold!

9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,421
    I'm not being optimistic. I'm just not being pessimistic either.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    There are those that follow Benjamin;s principles of pessimism... It goes something like 'I would rather be a pessimist than an optimist. Optimists are disappointed when things go wrong, while pessimists expect it, and are pleasantly surprised when things go right...' (learned that from Bewitched in my younger days, had to watch that to wait for Genie to hit the 20" screen!)

So they insulate themselves in a cocoon of negativity that no loss, injury, or taunting by rival fans can penetrate.

Then there are those who stockily follow Churchill's thinking on the topic... It goes something akin to...
    'A pessimist sees difficulty in ever opportunity, while an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.'

British author Oliver Burkman touched on this topic in a recent article..Studies suggest…that optimistic affirmations designed to lift one’s mood, often achieve the opposite effect. …The Power of Negative Thinking essayist …both ancient philosophy and modern psychology suggest that darker thoughts can make us happier.”

According to Burkeman, Albert Ellis (a New York psychotherapist) rediscovered this key insight of the Stoic philosophers of ancient Greece and Rome: “the best way to address an uncertain future is to focus not on the best-case scenario but on the worst.”

Stoics called this worst-case scenario therapy “the premeditation of evils” and they believed that doing this would remove the anxiety “THE FUTURE” relayed. According to Burkeman, modern psychologist Julie Norem estimates that about one-third of Americans instinctively use this strategy which she terms “defensive pessimism.”

Burkeman further posits that: “The ultimate value of the ‘negative path’ may not be its role in facilitating upbeat emotions or even success. It is simply realism. The future really is uncertain, after all, and things really do go wrong as well as right. We are too often motivated by craving to put an end to the inevitable surprises in our lives.”

“Defensive pessimism” – that sounds about the right description of my philosophy. On the other hand, I think that worrying is highly overrated.

This begs the question: was Ben Franklin portrayed accurately in a sitcom a half century ago? This quote is attributed to him, according to several sources: “I’d rather be a pessimist because then I can only be pleasantly surprised.” So, kinda sorta, yeah.

So don't beat the poor pessimists about the head and shoulders. It is their defensive mechanism. It has been studied by scholars through out the ages. Our founding fathers apparently touted it's principles... So be kind to the negative Nancy's, the Pessimistic Perry's and the frazzled fans hither and yon, for they are coping with the big bad world in the only manner they are capable of. In the end, they will be there to celebrate every win they prognosticated as a defeat...

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341

So your sayin I have a chance....

Half empty, half full.... it looks like I'm gonna need another drink.

And Leo I was suggesting the thread title opinion holder had to be the optimist.

U kno I wouldn't call u a optimist without usin the corresponding tag.

And thanks again Conc for proving my way of thinking is more logical.

Silly optimists.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,421
    I'm just a realist when it comes to sports.

I'm not going to get my hopes up over wins that haven't happened yet but I'm also not going to be dejected over losses that haven't happened yet.

I only react to what has happened and nothing more. Anything can happen in future games.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Opinions :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Wow, Simmons had something negative to say about the Chargers. This is my shocked face. Next, you're going to tell me he had something positive to say about the Pats.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    If it means anything Bill had the chargers winning the division in pre season.

17. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I guess the big question is, who are you going to believe, Simmons or the Bolts?

18. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    It's November and Philip Rivers is our quarterback. :abq2:

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,421

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well Bill.... What have you learned....

21. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,421
    How about against the Rams?

22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Well Charger fans, who declared the team dead--multiple times--today...what have you learned? :whistling:

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That you wont stop picking on me.... Bully!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  24. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I Like Simmons but he doesn't seem to like the Chargers (neither does TMQ) now I can't blame him for thinking that, this team doesn't look good at all

25. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Lol shall we revsit this thread once again? Haha. This is why I do not pay any attention to crap like this.

26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    I felt that Simmons mostly made the comment for some cheap attention...

but all six (five now) of the games look very tough...average record now 7.4 wins, 3.4 losses...
    a phenomenal win percentage of almost 69%...given how the Chargers have fared against
    much lesser competition, a harsh statistical prediction would probably be 1 or 2 wins of the final 5. :(
    Let's hope the Chargers play better than they have through the first 11,
    because that level will not get the team to the playoffs...

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,421
    Better than they have through the first 11?

I recall them playing very well up until they hit a wall against KC and started the losing streak.

Well, I guess you can argue the close win against Oakland was where it started, but either way it doesn't cover all 11 games.

28. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    Uhh....I don't think any of those teams are checking a W vs the Chargers. Damm, I wasn't sure who I wanted to win against the Denver game but I'm glad the forehead won. Now that the Dolphins are facing the Jets, they'll destroy them and we get a break if we drop a game @Balt

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    True... But Oakland doesnt look as bad as everyone painted them. The terrible Dolphins almost beat Denver... The Rams DID beat Denver. KC has proven to be a solid team... So are the Chargers as bad as some see them?

30. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Yeah it would be great if we could get rid of them entirely, but then how would we poop?