1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bill Simmons - Sports Guy - Award-winning picks for Round 2

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Jan 9, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090109

I never heard MORE compelling reasons to lay my vCash on the BOLTS!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt:

Chargers (+6) over STEELERS
    For seven reasons …

1. Do you feel comfortable laying six points with the Steelers when they went 3-4 against 2008 playoff teams, scored just 101 points total (13 per game) and won those three games by eight points total? Me neither.

2. San Diego's defense impressed me Saturday: Not just for handling Indy so well but for its confidence on that final defensive stand (with the Colts needing one first down to win), captured beautifully on "Inside the NFL" as Shaun Phillips sang "You're Not Gonna Make It" (to the tune of Twisted Sister's "We're Not Gonna Take It") right before the series. Loved it. That's a defense I want to back on the road. And really, is Pittsburgh's offense any different from Indy's offense? The Steelers struggle running the ball and don't have a ton of long drives. Same thing, right?

3. Pittsburgh has the worst field in the league; Heinz Field invariably gets sloppy and tempers Pittsburgh's greatest strength (speed on defense). As weird as this sounds, I might consider laying two with them in San Diego. But giving six in Chunky Soup Stadium? No way.

4. I feel more confident about Rivers handling Pittsburgh's superb front seven than I do about Ben Roethlisberger handling San Diego's front seven two weeks after his third career concussion (and we're not including his motorcycle accident). "Ben" makes me nervous in this one. And nervous in general. Should teams really be throwing guys out there after a third concussion? I suffered a bad one when I was 16; even two-plus decades later, I can bump my head and feel weird for the rest of the day. You're just never the same. Nobody can tell me differently. I don't trust "Ben" in this game. At all.

5. Two words: Ewing Theory. Every time Sproles breaks a decent run, I want CBS to play a ka-ching sound (to honor his impending free agency), followed by the obligatory shot of a sullen LDT pretending to be happy. It's going to be funny watching the Golden Globes that same night as every losing nominee claps with that same facial expression.

6. If we're playing a low-scoring game on a crappy field, I want the team getting great field position for four quarters … which means I definitely want the Michael Jordan of Punters (Scifres), not the punter who got released for three weeks in November (Mitch Berger), as well as the All-Pro kick returner (Sproles, who averaged 24.0 per kick return and 10.3 per punt return) and not the pu-pu platter of Pittsburgh kick returners (20.3 on kicks, 6.0 on punts). Don't think that stuff doesn't add up. You're damned right I just used a double negative. Whoops, sorry, Phil Rivers.

7. I need an underdog for Round 2. This is the best bet on the board. And according to the Playoff Manifesto, you shouldn't pick an underdog unless you're convinced it can win outright. So …

The Pick: San Diego 19, Pittsburgh 17.

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    He makes some good points. :tup:

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    The Michael Jordan of Punters:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Nice takes this week, but phuk Bill Simmons. You should have heard the **** he was spewing last week.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Spew what he will - he makes valid points here. I DO disagree on one point in particular - Pittsburgh's offense is not as good as Indy's. :no: Big Ben is not the QB that Peyton is. And the sloppy field just may work more to our advantage. Darren has a low center of gravity & weighs less. Could very well equate to him slipping less. Hester is a mudder.

We need to be physical with this team. Our OL (& Manu!!) needs to protect PR. Attack their speed & swarming ability with misdirection & play-action.

Chargers, baby!! :abq2: I can feel the AFCCG headed to the Q!!! :bolt:

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word :yes: :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  7. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    He talks about that **** is this same article.

8. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    did anyone here that or better yet record it?

9. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    You can find it here, via NFL.com.

10. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Simmons can be grating.

But I usually find him fairly humorous. He's a Pats fan, but pretty open about it and his homerism.

In the article this week, he actually posted an e-mail sent to him by a poster over at the UT forums. People over there really freaked out over his article last week where he joked about Philip dropping F-bombs on the sidelines.

11. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    Bill Simmons is a tool he said in his podcast that he thinks the Mob fixed the Chargers Colts game:icon_eek:
    i DONT like the fact he picked us:icon_evil:

12. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Who is LDT? :icon_shrug:

13. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    I really find it annoying that some idiotic journalists can't seem to just use LT in reference to LaDainian Tomlinson. Like any fan of the NFL would confuse the best running back playing the game with a retired psychotic HOF linebacker. :icon_shrug:

Besides, Lawrence Taylor was cool with Tomlinson using the LT moniker:
    link

14. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    I'd like the pick a whole lot more if he wasn't already 0-2 this weekend.

Thought Chris Berman in his "Swami Says" segment on Friday picked the Chargers by the same score.