1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Billichick to be suspended? Not soon enough.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Sep 13, 2007.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007...ring-two-or-three-game-suspension-for-bill-b/

Report: NFL Considering Two- or Three-Game Suspension for Bill Belichick
    Posted Sep 13th 2007 6:32PM by Michael David Smith
    Filed under: Patriots, Boston

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is considering suspending Patriots head coach Bill Belichick for two or three games as a result of the Patriots sign-stealing scandal, Don Banks and Peter King of SI.com are reporting.

The report also says Goodell is likely to dock the Patriots a first-day 2008 draft pick. But forfeiting Sunday's game against the Jets is not under consideration.

The suspension would be a huge stain on Belichick's career. It would be unprecedented in the NFL, and it would mean more than just sitting out a game. Belichick would be barred from having any contact with the team, and from spending any time at the team's practice facilities, for the duration of the suspension. The suspension would be without pay.

Although Belichick's suspension could be announced this week, he apparently would not begin serving it until next week at the earliest, meaning he will be on the sideline when the Patriots play the Chargers Sunday night.

2. Helmutt

Helmutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    While it would be great to get his suspension started before the game, I'm more excited about us going to their house and beating them down then suspending him on Monday or Tuesday.

Then Bellycheck will have 2-3 weeks off to stew in his defeat and humiliation. :icon_twisted:

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I heard this being discussed yesterday on ESPN radio, and I think that I would rather they lose out on one of their first round picks. They are going to make the playoffs in that piss-poor division regardless of Belicheck getting suspended or not. It would just give the sneaky cheater free time to break down possible January matchups with us and Indy.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Roger Goodell - ahole.

Pacman
    Tank
    Vick
    What shock?

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :rolleyes: :icon_rofl:

6. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    you kidding? Goodell is awesome!! finally some accountability. These idiots keep forgetting they get paid millions of dollars to play a game. And they go and do stupid sh*t and f' it all up. If it was Norv, Rivers, or any other charger, I'd expect the same treatement.

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Here's another opinion of a possible punishment-

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/spor...17/detail.html

Source: NFL To Fine Belichick, Pats
    Coach To Pay $500,000

BOSTON -- The NFL is planning to punish the New England Patriots and the team's coach, Bill Belichick, after the team got caught taping signals during the Jets game, sources confirmed Thursday.

SportsCenter 5's Mike Lynch reported that a decision will be announced Friday, but sources have said the NFL is going to fine Belichick $500,000. The fine has to be paid by Belichick himself and cannot be paid by the team's owner, Robert Kraft.

In addition to the fine, the Patriots must forfeit two high draft choices. They could be as high as a first- and a third-round draft choice, sources said.

A letter will be faxed to Belichick telling him of the NFL's decision, and he will not be required to appear in person at the NFL headquarters in New York City.

The controversy started when a Patriots cameraman was caught videotaping a New York Jets coach's signals during last weekend's season-opening game.

In a news conference Wednesday, Belichick issued a terse written statement before his regular weekly team news conference saying, "Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league's decision, I will have further comment."

Belichick indicated he may have misinterpreted the National Football League's rules regarding recording games.

"Earlier this week, I spoke with Commissioner (Roger) Goodell about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules. At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling," Belichick said.

The Patriots were accused of spying during Sunday's game against the New York Jets by Jets coach Eric Mangini. NFL security officials confiscated a video camera from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the sideline Sunday.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I guess a suspension could be determined as appropriate punishment for "cheating"...

...a more direct and appropriate punishment would be a forfeit of the game in which they were actually caught cheating. But since that will never happen, I guess suspension is the next best thing. At the very least, it would be a permanent black mark on his resume.

9. richpjr

richpjr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    He's not an ahole, he's the first commisioner with the balls to let everyone know that he won't tolerate players acting like thugs and coaches cheating. I say good for him.

10. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Its almost like goodell didn't suspend bellycheck because he's white. :icon_eek:

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Damn I hate agreeing with you...

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup and he has green backing him.........

13. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I AM PISSED. WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT! BILLICHEAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED 4 GAMES MINIMUM. NO, HE SHOULD HAVE BEEN BANNED. BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT!

CHEATERS WIN. GOODELL IS A COWARD!

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_eek: :frightened: