1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Billick Fired

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltdiehard, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Billick fired after 9 seasons in Baltimore

By DAVID GINSBURG, AP Sports Writer
    December 31, 2007

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Brian Billick was fired as coach of the Baltimore Ravens on Monday, less than a day after his team concluded a disappointing 5-11 season.

Players were told of the dismissal as they packed up their lockers at the team's practice facility.

ADVERTISEMENT

Billick won the 2001 Super Bowl in his second season with the Ravens, and led the team to a franchise-best 13-3 record in 2006. But Baltimore lost a team-record nine consecutive games this season before ending the skid Sunday with a 27-21 win over Pittsburgh.

"This is the reality of our business," cornerback Samari Rolle said.

Billick's nine seasons with Baltimore was tied for third with Philadelphia's Andy Reid as the third-longest current run with the same team. He took the Ravens to the playoffs in 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2006, but Baltimore won only one postseason game since its Super Bowl run after the 2000 season.

"Sometimes the message can get repetitive after a while," 12-year offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden said.

Ogden said this month that Billick had informed the team he would be returning in 2008. But owner Steve Bisciotti evidently changed his mind.

The Ravens expected to compete for a world championship this season after bringing back almost every starter from last year's AFC North champions. But injuries and a turnover-prone offense contributed to a complete collapse after a 4-2 start, and Baltimore finished last in the division.

"This year the injury bug not only hit us, (it) hit our prime-time players," linebacker Bart Scott said.

Billick, 53, was hired as Baltimore's second head coach in January 1999, succeeding Ted Marchibroda. In Billick's first season, the Ravens reached .500 (8-8) for the first time. Then he led Baltimore to a 12-4 record and a berth in the Super Bowl, where the Ravens beat the New York Giants 34-7.

Billick was 80-64 as Baltimore's coach. He was the offensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings before being coming to the Ravens.

"I'm not saying I agree with it," kicker Matt Stover said of Billick's dismissal, "but sometimes things have to change."

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Good for the Ravens. Too bad that they didn't fire him a few years ago, or they might have been able to retool the offense enough to utilize that great defense. Now I feel like it's too late.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not too surprised.

If Rivera moves on, think we could snag Rex for DC? Or do you think that he'll get the HC job in Baltimore? Or is Teddy staying put w/us? :icon_huh:

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    I knew this would happen, even after the higher ups in the Ravens organization gave him a vote of confidence. Too bad that came before they lost to the Dolphins.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    To the ex-Charger duo of Cleo Lemon and Greg Camarillo! :tup:

Chargers - spreading joy throughout the league!! :lol:

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    If they want some sort of offensive genius I wouldn't be surprised if they kick the tires on Mike Martz, even if he is insane. I don't know if they'll just promote Ryan, who's ready to be a HC and everyone says it, or they might look at Rivera.

My guess is they'll hire Ryan and Rex will bring in his brother Rob from the Raiders to be the DC

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Probably a damn good guess, Ant. Hadn't really thought about that duo, but weren't the announcers saying something during yesterday's game about Rob probably being gone after this year? :icon_huh:

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Oh, I think I'm going to cry. And Billick was such a nice guy. :lol:

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There is speculation about Martz winding up at UCLA.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Rick Neuheissel was hired earlier this week

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Somewhere Bolts4Life is drooling and praying we fire Norv and hire Billick.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Yeah, I just remembered. Old Timer's disease is a biatch. Neuheissel is on the NCAA's poop list. I hope Rick's lower digestive tract is clean and healthy. All those lower GI's he's going to get are going to become tiresome.

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    rex was fired too

If Cotrell is one and done here*, i pray to god AJ hires him

*Saying that considering his age/retirement, not that he would get fired
    Also, saying that assuming Rivera finds a DC/HC job this year

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Depends how this season ends.
    If we make the AFC Championship at the minimum... I will gladly eat crow.
    A win over the Titans will not be enough for me to credit Norv.
    A win over the Ponies would!!!

Although we should have beat the Patsies last season... they've been there and done that many times during this decade. So have the Ponies.
    What have the Titans done (within this decade and with the current roster?)

Though I'm afraid that even if we lose to the Titans (God help us), Norv will be back next season.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I was talking to a friend of mine in Baltimore last night. He said the fans are equally as pizzed at Ryan as they are Billick.

16. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    I think that even though Rex did a great job for the ravens; bringing him here to run the D would be a step in the wrong direction...

By the time he and the players got to know each other and implement the system, this D we have going for us would have us moving faster in the right direction. I am happy overall with the collective coaching staff changes; as long as this coaches open the floodgates as far as calls in the playoffs and the players keep taking the ball we will be marching home with the championship.

GO BOLTS!

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I'd only think about bringing him in if Cotrell retired or somehow got a HCing job.

After the way the defense played to end the season I'm willing to see Cotrell kept longer.

18. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Cotrell isn't going anywhere unless he himself retires.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    The Ravens need a QB. They have the right players in place on offense, maybe add another good reciever opposite Mason. They will go NOWHERE next year with Troy Smith, Kyle Boeller, and father time McNair, at the QB position.

20. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117
    Brian Billick, say hello to Arthur Blank and the Falcons:yes:

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    ...or is offered a HC position somewhere.

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

EXACTLY!!!
    Even since the 2000 Super Bowl, they can't seem to get a solid QB to save their lives!!! They should have kept Dilfer and looked to draft a young guy too.

McNair was great last season but like you said "father time."
    Last season was their last chance with their current roster.

23. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

My feeling is they will make a play for McNabb :yes:

24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  25. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

I think Mart would make an EXCELLENT college coach :yes:

26. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

If McNabb goes to the Ravens, they win the division, or at least go back to the playoffs. But they would only have a 2 year window to make a legitimate run to the Super Bowl with everyone's age.