1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Billionaire Ed Roski Wants Your NFL Team in Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerJeff, Jul 15, 2009.

1. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    LOS ANGELES -- Ed Roski wants your NFL team.

The billionaire real estate developer from Southern California is closely tracking the stadium and hometown dysfunction that plagues the three California franchises in San Francisco, Oakland and San Diego. He knows where fans are weary, where facilities are second-rate.

[​IMG]

He's got bull's-eyes centered on Buffalo, Jacksonville, Minnesota and St. Louis, too.

Give Roski your poor, your tired, your NFL huddles and masses longing for a state-of-the-art outdoor facility. Bring them to the City of Industry in the San Gabriel Valley, where he is convinced the fruitful Los Angeles market will welcome you.

Yes, that L.A. market. The same sprawling, Kobe Bryant-obsessed region that seems to have forgotten the ghosts of the Los Angeles Raiders and Rams and has embraced USC and UCLA football on Saturdays, and its choice of 32 teams on television come Sunday.

"There are NFL franchises out there that want a world-class facility, that want this huge market, and I'm ready to give that to them,'' says Roski (above), chairman and CEO of Majestic Realty Co., a key developer of the privately financed Staples Center and a co-owner of the L.A. Lakers and Kings.

Roski's an unassuming guy. "I did the Staples Center,'' he says casually. Well, he and fellow billionaire Phillip Anschutz did the Staples Center. On their dime. So Roski knows about getting stadiums and arenas built in the Golden State despite the notorious, choking loops of California development red tape that have stalled NFL stadium efforts across the state.

Yeah, you've heard this before. Dead Los Angeles NFL stadium projects -- buried everywhere from Irwindale to Irvine to Carson to Hollywood Park -- are as ubiquitous to Southern California as a Sig alert on the Santa Monica freeway.

So when Roski, 70, shows off that spectacular architectural model of his proposed $800 million, 75,000-seat NFL stadium as part of a shopping and entertainment complex he'll plant near the 57 and 60 Freeways in Industry, east of downtown Los Angeles, he's not kidding.

"Full-steam ahead,'' Roski says. All he needs are at least one -- ideally, two -- hungry NFL franchises to commit to relocating to his planned NFL palace and he'll turn the shovel on this thing.

"They'll play in the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl for two years while we're under contruction,'' Roski envisions, "and we plan to open by 2013." And play host to a Super Bowl in Los Angeles in 2016.

So how does Roski figure pull this off? Well, he's wealthy -- worth an estimated $2.5 billion and ranked No. 163 on The Forbes 400 list of richest Americans in 2008. He's got the financial chops to say the heck with buying up land, waiting out costly environmental impact reports or haggling with local cities for bond money.

The City of Industry isn't just the latest doomed site. From a developer's standpoint, it's a dream come true. Industry charges no business taxes, encourages retail establishments and factories to operate 24 hours a day and takes in tax revenue from those facilities.

No wonder Roski's Majestic Realty Co. is headquartered there.

In January, a majority of Industry voters -- all 82 of them -- passed a measure 60-1 to allow the sale of $150 million in bonds to push along Roski's stadium project.

"I've got the land, the right location, and public money isn't an issue,'' he says. "I'll be outdoor, and I'll build it into the side of a hill, so the stadium costs will be low."

For 14 years, Roski has labored to bring the NFL back to Los Angeles. His efforts to refurbish the historic Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for an NFL team faded when Houston got the last expansion franchise in 2002.

"All these years we've established a real good relationship with the NFL, understood what they want in a stadium -- what works, what doesn't work,'' Roski says. "And we were able to put together a project that meets all those requirements.

In L.A.? Where NFL stadiums go to die?

"The NFL really wants to come back to Los Angeles,'' emphasizes Roski, who was honored Monday night by the L.A. Sports & Entertainment Commission as "Sportsman of the Year" at the seventh annual NFL 101/201 event at the L.A. Coliseum. "But they want to make sure they do it in the right way."

The NFL isn't actively or publicly encouraging Roski's efforts to lure an underperforming franchise to the Los Angeles market. Nor will Roski name names when asked for an ideal tenant.

He leaves that to his right-hand man, John Semcken.

"Jacksonville, Buffalo, Minnesota, New Orleans, St. Louis and the three California teams. Now New Orleans just signed a lease for 25 more years, so they're out. But the other seven are still in," says John Semcken, Roski's vice president at Majestic Reality.

In Semcken's eyes, Jacksonville and Buffalo are terrible markets for the NFL, and the other franchises are unable or unwilling to maintain stadiums up to current league standards. So they're fair game.

"You know what I think? I think the Raiders and the 49ers are eventually going to share a building in Northern California,'' Semcken says, "and two other teams are going to share a building in Southern California.

"Two teams. Then we'll have 25 weeks of NFL here. Ten preseason and regular season per team -- that's 20. Both teams will be so rich that they'll make the playoffs, that's 22. Then they'll win the second round, that's 24. Then we'll have the Super Bowl, that's 25!"

From an environmental perspective, Roski's people had to plan for 25 games a year in a facility. "To show you how crazy California is, that's how we've had to analyze it,'' Semcken says.

"We've got one lawsuit from one city (Walnut, which neighbors Industry) -- there are 88 cities in L.A. County. We've got one little city extorting us for money, plain and simple.

"When that's done, we're ready to go. Ed can go buy a team, partner with a team to come here, whatever they want."

Roski isn't courting any specific franchise. "No, we don't talk to any of them,'' he says. "We'll do our job first and the NFL will make its decision who comes here."

But will Angelenos care?

"Of course. Those teams (the Rams and Raiders) left not because of the fans. Not at all,'' Roski says emphatically. "They left because they couldn't get the revenue sources out of the Coliseum they needed to be competitive.

"These are great NFL fans. You've got 19 million people here. And they'll come out. You watch. I know they will."

link

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Ugh... I hate the idea of having the Chargers playing up there so much it makes me ill...

What is this facination with teams sharing a stadium?! That's so lame... it's only about making money vs. having a HOME for your team :p

• Like Like x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Poor San Diego, keep voting these clowns in and we'll be watching the San Antonio Chargers.:no:

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    KNX 1070 AM radio (Los Angeles) had a news spot today sponsored by none other than ..... you guessed it .... the San Diego Chargers. :icon_eek:

Read into this all that you want but this is the first time I have heard the Bolts sponsoring news spots originating in the L.A. market. :tdown:

Hmmmm...... :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    49ers and Raiders sharing the same stadium? Some how, I doubt that.

Bottom line... the guy wants any team he can get. I'm sure he'd perfer an expansion but I don't think that's going to happen.

6. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    I just don't understand California politics, man!

You guys need to get something built ASAP....would hate to see you guys lose out on this deal.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We don't have much in the way of visionary or for that matter intelligent leadership

Have you seen what this state looks like?

8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    So, we are going to raise taxes, or worse bonds for a new NFL stadium in San Diego? I do NOT want to see the bolts leave, but it seems we want something, then dont want to pay for it. This city is BROKE. Concrete, steele, etc are sky high, and nobody has money to pay for a stadium to be built here.

that said, I hope the niners, raiders, jags, rams go to the city of industry. :lol:

9. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Actually, Concrete, Steel and Copper are at their lowest in years. :yes: As well as the design / engineering people are slow. Construction workers are out of work, so a # of the better ones are looking for work.

It's the perfect time to build something like a stadium, if you can get the money.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You're right. I'm a surveyor & work almost exclusively in engineering firms. Work is slow & bids are VERY competitive.
    There's almost never a better time than right now for the Spanos' family to build a stadium.

But they have to get off of the song of wanting the land for next to nothing. Otherwise .... they'll have to make a deal to re-locate. CA is too broke to give land for a stadium. Not in these times.

11. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    I realize how broke that Ca. is. Do you think that Spanos is losing out on this economy also? The 2 have to work together to make it work. :yes: Spanos,alone can't just give the City of San Diego everything they want. That's bad business.

San Diego will be making money under the proposed Qualcomm idea. If the Chargers go to either Chula Vista, Del Mar or O'side, what does San Diego end up with? Nothing!

Spanos isn't stupid. He's not asking for the moon. If San Diego thinks they can do better with the available land than helping the Chargers, they're crazy!

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    But don’t they have some of those clauses written into the contact that the builder will pay the prevailing wages, that way they do not have to worry about a shutdown due to a labor strike?

13. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    2 different things.

You may be thinking Prevailing Wage vs PLA.

Prevailing wage is that the Contractor will pay the current wages being paid in the area. That keeps a contractor, say from Arizona, from paying wages in their area. Wages in Arizona are lower than in Ca. and they have to pay the SD wages. That apply's to Union and non-union contractors.

The other is the PLA...Project Labor Agreement. When the job is 100% Union, there will be no work stoppage due to CBA's.
    The Unions and Contractors agree that the job will continue.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

I knew it was something like that, and that they had those things written into the contract to prevent any work stoppages from labor.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly what I was thinking...
    BOTTOM LINE... Now is the time to buy if you got the $$$$$. People with that kind of money are buying like crazy right now.

16. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

The stimulus money is a prime example of contractors bidding the **** out of construction contracts. The states are getting great construction deals. The stimulus money is going further because the contractors are hungry.

What most do not realize is that the COUNTY of San Diego is very well capitalized versus the State.

When the Murph was built it took a visionary by the name of Jack Murphy working in concert with something called a Joint Powers Authority.

The Joint Power Authority was a county representation of the major cities in San Diego County (Oceanside, Escondido, Carlsbad, Bonsall :lol: etc).

The cities in San Diego County realized (along with the COUNTY of San Diego) that the Chargers were a regional asset and as such all the cities needed to pool their collective efforts to get the stadium built.

Until we see a Joint Power Authority (deja vu) formed the stadium is effing eh dead in the water.

It will take all the big swinging ***** in this county, not just the City Of San Diego (because that place is run like a drunken crack whore house), to get 'er done.

PS .. Clinton Hart .. remember the name !!! :bolt:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    The Chargers do not want the city to foot the bill for a stadium, they will build it + the necessary infrastructure - they are asking for the land to build on (a stadium + a little extra for commercial/residential developments to help fund the project)

One idea is to incorporate the Sports Area site into the project as the land for commercial/residential development and then when they build the stadium (ideally downtown) there would be additional convention center space and either the stadium would be multi-use or a newer arena would be in the same area. I'm no engineer or anything so I don't really know how it would all work out but that's one of the rumors I've consistently heard for quite some time which is now getting more and more positive play.

As far as getting the land for "Free" I think it's a great deal for the city that takes them up on it, even if it seems hard to do right now. It's a small investment relative to the return. Considering that the Q is costing the City of SD several million a year (IIRC it's more than 10M/yr maybe as high as 18... have to look it up again) anyway considering that - ponying up some land for redevelopment downtown and where sports arena is + freeing up the qualcomm site to be redeveloped would be a HUGE step in the right direction for SD imo.

San Diego is in trouble, the whole state is in trouble but now is the time to make a good investment in our future. It can be done - maybe it's time to summon the spirit of Jack Murphy to help save us again? :icon_shrug: whatever it takes :lol:

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The mayor of San Diego needs to get the present Murph site declared a blighted zone.

The soil is contaminated with **** from the refineries across the street so that needs to be cleaned up. There are federal super funds available for this kind of clean up. Line up the money someone ........

Oh and if anyone from the Chargers say there are no developmental partners for the stadium project ... the mother effing Chargers are LYING.

I am sick of the lies. :icon_evil:

The goddamm local Indian nation said they would partner up with the Spanos Construction team to get 'er done yet that little blurb gets hush hush'd and swept under the rug.

Anyone feel like they are getting "played?" :icon_shrug:

19. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Why not propose those questions in the Fabiani thread? I'd be very interested to hear his answers on the matter :yes:

I don't believe we're being "played" necessarily - I think we the fans are stuck watching a delicate poker game between the City and the Chargers. That said, I trust Dean Spanos but the man isn't stupid and he has people in place to get a good deal worked out for the Chargers. The City of SD has been jacked up for a long long time - I trust them and the representatives agendas far less after the situations they have put our city in. Dean Spanos has earned my trust, the city has not. :icon_shrug:

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Asking Fabiani anything is a waste of time. Scratching my nuts is more productive.

If you think my questions are worthy of asking, then you or someone else ask him because I will not go there. I would rather scratch my nuts. It is a productivity thang.

If you have not gotten a feel for Fabiani's canned answers, just practice saying "it does not pencil" over and over.

As a fan, I do not trust Spanos for ****. This is all about the jack. The fans are merely pawns. As a business man, I would respect the old man's decision to pull up stake and say FU.

Trust no one.

Not even your shadow.

21. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'd take that over the LA Chargers :yes:

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If anyone wants to ask Fabiani anything ask him this question.

Have you researched the last Joint Powers Authority Agreements in the 60's which launched the building of the Murph and if so is there a blueprint or roadmap we can follow to get this biiitch done.

OR

Mr. Fabiani are you here just to collect a paycheck and play us for biitchess ?
    :bolt:

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    As usual, you're fulla shitttttt. Either get involved & ask or STFU. No one here is your minion to do it for you.

Good questions. Again - if you can find the time to come in here & shoot your mouth off, you can use that same time to put your questions in the Ask Fabiani thread. Seems to me that would be at least as productive as your crowing here. And you might want to try some powder for those itchy nuts. :lol:

Oh yeah - Hart is a scrub!! :icon_tease:

See ya on 9/20. :icon_toast:

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Why should I do or ask anything? Because you say so ? Let others do the bidding. My time is better spent elsewhere.

If you are so moved to tell people what to do from your gopher hole then YOU ask instead of stroking your tiny forum ego. Before you shoot off your mouth, think for once.

Why do you still post here? No one even cares about what you post anyway.... :lol:

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yeah ... and everyone just flocks to your little shitthole.

Keep stroking it, Trumpy - maybe you'll get to your brains someday. :icon_toast:

26. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I think it's pretty obvious that LA will get a team sooner or later, but this must be giving the NFL fits. How dare a city not bow and capitulate before the almighty NFL and it's demands for cargo ships full of cash!

Lots of people slam SoCal sports fans as being soft, when in reality, they are behaving like smart consumers; Put out a good product and we will buy it. Act like a boob and run the team into the ground and we'll head to the beach.

27. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    So what does this mean, it will cost 999 Million, and not a Billion for a new stadium? It is not like prices on materials, and labor have fallen to the point where a stadium will cost 400Million to build a stadium.

I am not sure if it is equitible to give away land, but I'd like to see the numbers. I think downtown San Diego, or Mission Valley would be best. I have to admit a stadium in Del Mar (yeah right) with Ocean view, would be pretty awesome.

I heard one of the Chargers stadium reps on 1090 this AM, and now they are re-focused on Oceanside. I probably can dig up a couple articles saying O-side was out of the question from a few months ago. I think they are biding their time, and outta here to City of Industry, when they can buy out of their contract for under $30 million.

28. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I have had the opportunity to speak with him directly, one-on-one on more than one occasion - Have you? He has always been very forthcoming in answering my questions. I think asking the tough questions (like yours) are critical and since you're too stubborn and lazy to do it yourself, I will do it for you.

Dean Spanos might be a business man but he's also a San Diegan and he's done a whole hell of a lot for the people of this city - his father too, much of it purposefully under the radar b/c its not about recognition it's about doing right by your community.

Not everyone is as jaded and cynical as you Trumpy - being old and grumpy doesn't make you right :p it just makes you sad.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I think I'm in love. :wub:

Trumpy, you've been castrated. Just stick your balls in a box & mail them to Syd. :icon_twisted:

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    "OUCH"