1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bills-Bolts: 19 October, Game/Region Info for Visitors

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by y2craig, Sep 17, 2008.

1. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Hola amigos! For those making the pilgrimage to our decaying city for the Bolts/Bills matchup on October 19th I give you my brief guide to the Buffalo-Niagara region.

The traffic report: Get there earlier than you anticipate as there is the atypical roadwork by The Ralph right now on two of the major roads (20 and 20A, 20eh for the Canadian fans) and is not expected to be completed until 2009. Parking has gone up $5, but I normally park at the ECC (Erie Community College) lots for $15. It is a little bit longer of a walk, but much easier to escape the mayhem of the lots afterwards. Parking at The Ralph is $25.... $20 for season tix holders.

If you do intend on going and will be parking at the normal lots of 1-5 and B-F lots or the Camper Lot, be the first to PM me and I will send you my $5 parking coupon. Reason being is that most of the fans at some of the Bills message boards are self-centred and arrogant pigs and have treated me and a couple others like trash whereas people at this site have been very good the times I have been posting here. So I would rather help out a Bolt fan even if it means something basic like saving a whole $5.

Weather: Bring the scuba gear. Generally, October is a great time of year as the temperature is comfortable and the leaves are changing - pure football weather. However, this year has been dismal up here. I normally have near 750+ miles on my bicycle and I just broke 300 miles yesterday because it has been too rainy. My telescope and solar telescope get very little action these days and feel neglected. Opening game I was drenched and the game this coming weekend against Chokeland Faiders rain is in the forecast. I we crush them for you.

Fans: OK, I know a few Bolt Talk members had problems the last time they came here. End zone seats are good for a few scraps, but those are the drunken Bills fans. Should you have a problem in the stadium then call the Game Day Fan Hotline at (716) 312-8933 and report anything. As a season ticket holder and football fan I hate to see anyone's time, especially visitors, get spoiled by any jerks. Nothing makes for a lasting impression of a region like a drunken jerk. I do not drink, so you will get no grief from me.

Stadium: A question PMed to me the last time was how the view was from the first row or two behind the visitors bench. You will not get a great view of the playing field, but not too shabby if you want to be close to your team. I feel rows 15+ in the bottom section of the bowl are pretty good. My seat is in row 25, section 114, seat #7 (20 yard line-ish), and I love the view - can't beat it. Drop by and say "hi!" should you have the time. I hear upper deck seats have a great view as well and are not as bad as they seem though it is much windier up there. As I mentioned, end zone seats are a rough area due to drinking fans and expect to be hassled. It's one of the older stadiums in the league, but then again that partially explains why our tickets prices are the cheapest.

Hotel/motels: Book 'em now in case a convention just happens to be here. There does not seem to be too many by the stadium, so you may be stuck by the airport or downtown Buffalo. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=motels+orchard+park,+ny&btnG=Google+Search All roads lead to Rome, but I normally take Route 5 to the stadium as I live in the northern suburbs - for now. Route 5, under construction, is the lesser route and best after a game. Any questions about directions just PM me and I will try to reply as fast as possible. Or work the Google on the internet machine as it sometimes does a decent job.

Touring: http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/ Chicken wings and restaurants are plenty available. Anchor Bar is too notable and touristy - a better place is called Duff's on 3651 Sheridan Dr. (at Millersport Hwy., next to Bamboo House), Amherst. Cram Duff's into your GPS as it is worthwhile. Yes, we actually have authentic Mexican food here and I am not talking about Taco Bell. http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/restaurant.guide/cuisine.html#Mexican A couple of my favs are El Palenque and El Canelo. They actually have people of Mexican background working there instead of teenagers. Avoid Mighty Taco as they are notable fast food joint in this area and good for colonoscopy preperations if your health care coverage is good for nothing. Niagara Falls is within 30 minutes drive from the city and much further to the north is Old Fort Niagara. You will need ID for going into Canada - I believe a passport may be required. I will check into that.

Anything else to add just PM me and I will slap onto this list.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Awesome stuff man! I'm not making the trip out there, but I know that there are a couple of Bolt fans who will be. I will refer them to your post.

3. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Funny stuff man! :icon_rofl:

Great info, thanks a lot for it. I'm not going up that way for the game, but if someone is this will be a perfect spot for information. Especially the news about the bars! :tup:

4. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    mrs megold and i went to the last chargers /bills game in buffalo we wer able to park with our rental on someones front lawn for 5 bucks and walk to r.wilson i was prett easy .

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Any suggestions for Buffalo wings?

Do you have any favorites?

6. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Duff's is one of the better locations. Anchor Bar is OK, but I feel it is too much of a toursit thing.

You'll find Duff's at 3651 Sheridan Drive, Amherst for the GPS address entry. There is also a Duff's Famous Wings at 3090 Orchard Park Road, Buffalo 14224 that people rave about. They have other food there as well. Any pizzeria has wings - just avoid Pizza Hut or other national pizza chains.

Bocce's Pizza CLub on Bailey near UB has decent wings too.
    http://www.bocceclubpizza.com/

La Nova http://www.lanova.com/ has a location at 5151 Main Street, Williamsville. Pretty good pizza, subs and wings. Perhaps a little procey. Their location in the city of Buffalo is in a rough area, but oddly enough, it has never been robbed.

Yeah, there are parking areas along the major streets where people will allow you to park in their yards for dirt cheap prices of as low as $5. It's a small hike to the stadium, but you sometimes move faster than the traffic ... sort of like in the movie "Office Space".