1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bills Cut LT Langston Walker

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LFEpooh124, Sep 8, 2009.

1. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Walker used to be a RT before the Bills moved him over to LT after they traded Peters to the Eagles this offseason. Walker did sign a 5 year, $25 mil deal back in March of 2007. He was scheduled to make $3 mil for each of the remaining 3 years left on his contract. Cut for cap reasons? Maybe we can use this guy in place of Clary?

Please don't tell me this guy is worse than Clary.

[Full Link]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/09/08/bills.ap/index.html

2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Where is your reasons for thinking he is better than Clary?

Prove to us that he is better than Clary first. Just because he was cut by the bills doesn't make him a good pickup. :tdown:

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Didn't this guy also play for the Raiders?

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Guys, I dont get it. AJ Smith, someone who has proven time and time again he knows football, can tell a good football player from a bad football player has kept Clary. Coach Turner has said that Clary is a good lineman. Yet the fans keep basing him. Is it that we dont know what to look for or Clary has been feending Norv and AJ special brownies?

5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Yes, and he has some of the worst footwork I've ever seen in a lineman! :tdown:

6. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I get what you are saying, and some people should remember that these guys have better football minds than we do. However, they are also not going to throw their starter under the bus and say they suck. Just a couple weeks ago they were telling us how highly they thought of Forney too.

7. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    This.

8. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Granted, the OL is one of the hardest positions to find able-bodied, above average players to fill. I think it's a consensus among most fans on this site that SS and RT are two of our weakest positions. When a player becomes available at said "weak position" wouldn't it help our team to bring them in? Now I'm not saying bring everyone at SS and RT that's been cut in, so we can "try" them out. Walker did play RT for two years and attempted to make a switch over to LT, which I hear is pretty difficult. But like I said, maybe he was cut for cap reasons.

I never said Walker is better than Clary. (Even though it wouldn't take much to be better than your boy at that position.) But since I'm such a sucker for research and numbers, here's a stat:

2008 (Number of sacks given up by RTs)
    T-8. Langston Walker (Bills) 3.0 sacks allowed (16 starts)
    T-22. Jeromey Clary (Chargers) 6.5 sacks allowed (16 starts)

How else do you measure an OL worth?

But then again, somebody else on the board said that Walker has some of the sloppiest footwork, that I can take for what it is.

9. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Well let's start with these from your first post:

Maybe we can use this guy in place of Clary?
    Please don't tell me this guy is worse than Clary.

To me that says that you think Walker is better than Clary.

Then many( including me of course ) don't think that the 6.5 sacks attributed to Clary is right. I think that 3 - 4 are his and even then at least 2 of those were caused by Goff not getting the job done next to him.

The problem with "trying someone out" at this time of the year is how do we evaluate him? We would probably have to cut someone for a period of time, sign the new try out player, then see how he works out in practice and some limited time in game(s). I don't see how it is worthwhile unless AJ and his scouts determine that the player is clearly better than what we have.

10. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    With my first statement, Maybe, was a simple question proposing a potential scenario, in which Walker comes in and replaces Clary. Now if I had said: "We NEED to bring him in to replace Clary!" Then, you might have an argument. But I never said that. This statement alludes to the fact that yes, I don't hold Clary in the same regards as you. Don't quote me as saying Walker will be the answer, or better than Clary. If a better player is available than the one we currently have, why not bring him in to make this team better.

With the second statement you quoted, it goes back to the above paragraph that I still don't hold Clary in that high of a regards.

If it'll make you happy, maybe, CLARY > WALKER. I'll give Clary a pat on the back for being a better RT than Walker. But at the end of the day, we still have a back-up RT moonlighting as a starter on this team. If we can bring in any RT that will do a better job than CLARY, I'm all for it.

Back to the original article, my assumption is Walker got cut for cap reasons. I could be wrong. Maybe he just sucks now, it took the Bills 2 years to figure it out, and they're just cutting their losses. If the latter is the case, then we can look beyond Clary for someone else.

Just to reiterate again. Maybe Walker isn't better than Clary. But then again, Clary isn't all that great either.

Sincerely,
    A San Diego Chargers Fan

11. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    The Acee in his Q&A says that the chargers are looking at Walker, but that they would wait until after week one to sign him so that they are not committed to his whole season salary.

I think it would be good to add some depth at the very least.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Rumor has it the Chiefs worked out Jon Runyan.

That is about the only guy out there I would want to bring in at this point.

Langston Walker was shhhhhhhit with the Raiders. Got cut by the Bills.

He is a career backup who got ousted by two of the most confused franchises in football.

NO THANKS.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'll break it to you gently. Yes, he is. His attitude is lower than whale poop.

14. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    this is an awesome thread.

15. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    This.

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    That...

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    There...

18. creeboltz

creeboltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Journalistically Speaking........

Who, What, When, Where, Why......and How?

How about we wait and see how Clary does with his new seatmate----Mr. Louis Vasquez fighting off the Bad Guys next to him...Maybe it was Goff's fault!!!!

:bolt::bolt::bolt::bolt::bolt: