1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bills rehire Nix as scout

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Orchard Park, NY - The Bills are dipping into their past, to beef up their scouting staff in the future. News 4 has learned that veteran NFL scout Buddy Nix is returning to the Bills, in the positon of National Scout.

Nix confirmed the appointment when we talked to him by phone, from his home in Tennessee. He spent eight years with the Bills as a scout and personnel expert, when John Butler was the team's general manager, and AJ Smith was the chief pro scout. When Butler and Smith left the Bills in 2001 for San Diego, Nix followed them West.

He eventually rose to the position of Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel with the Chargers, a position he held for five years. Nix stepped down from the job a year ago, after an apparent falling out with GM A.J. Smith.

Nix is 69-years old. He'll report to Bills VP of College Scouting Tom Modrak and act as a National Scout, looking over college talent.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/Bills_hire_veteran_scout_20090122

2. Binary Bolt Fan

Binary Bolt Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    I saw that on the Buffalo TV's website... any idea what the 'apparent falling out' was?

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No idea. Using the term apparent, it could be speculation. :icon_shrug:

4. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I you remember when it happened, it was pretty apparent there was a falling out with AJ and that it mostly came from AJ. Do a web search and find Nix's statements about his departure back from when he left San Diego.

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_huh:

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080430-9999-1s30nix.html

So far theonly thing is "The league was abuzz last night with talk both that Nix had been forced out and that he would work again soon with another team." which to me is just a way of saying RUMORS ARE FLYING...

7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    It could have been that he also wanted to have more options.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_118981.asp

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am not finding any comments form Nix. If you find them could you post them please?

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    It was a rumor that became an accepted fact when there was nothing really to back it up. It's not inconceivable that at his age he wanted a break and then decided he wanted to get back into it. Besides he's been hired just as a scout, maybe he's doing SEC/ACC south stuff which is close to his home.

Also personally speaking, if i had a bad falling out with someone i'd be pretty angry and would want my comments out there that i didn't do anything to deserve this. The lack of them puts some water on this rumor

10. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Good post...it will be interesting to see exactly what his scouting responsibilities are.

11. Binary Bolt Fan

Binary Bolt Fan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Nix lives on the east coast and his specialty is scouting ACC teams. Makes sense that he returned to employment for an east coast team.

12. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    This move doesn't surprise me at all. I had strong feelings that Nix would be back in the NFL after reading this article shortly after the situation here last year. No surprise that AJ was involved once again.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Very interesting.

14. ESCOBAR 92113

ESCOBAR 92113 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    im curious, anyone know how AJS' draft have been since Nix left? i think its Buster Davis, Jacob Hester,Eric Weddle right?

15. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    No, those were the last drafts when Buddy Nix had more responsibility in the draft.

16. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I find these part interesting

What could possibly go wrong between Nix, the Chargers’ director of player personnel, and Smith?

“It all started about four months ago,” said Nix. “Things just got strained. We all thought it would get better and it didn't. It got worse.”

It hit bottom Sunday night, just after the conclusion of the NFL draft. According to Nix, the draft went as it had always gone. He ran it. Smith and the coaching staff offered imput.

But when this year's draft ended, Nix says Smith pulled him aside and told him that he had some ideas about restructuring some things.

Nix listened for awhile, then said, “So what are we going to call this? I’m I resigning, retiring or being fired?”

So, how much of the trading of draft picks was Buddys idea?

17. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    His wife is probably driving him crazy and the road looks like the better option right now. :icon_tease:

18. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    She probably beats him at golf. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Very good question. Although I would hope that, even if Buddy ran the draft, AJ would stop him BEFORE he did something that was this contrary to AJ's wishes.

20. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't know and probably we will never really know. Without knowing the job descriptions and exactly who was responsible for what we will never know. It's possible that AJ didn't have the power to actually say no to Nix. I always thought it odd that AJ would be the one trading multiple draft picks to move up when he always talked about how favorable it was to have extra picks.