1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bills TE Everett may never walk again

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Sep 10, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    So sad. I hope that he can one day walk again like Dennis Byrd.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20....simpson.sun.ap/index.html?eref=si_topstories

2. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Kevin Everrett

I wish him well, this kind of stuff is really sad..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3012007

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills reserve tight end Kevin Everett had surgery Sunday after injuring his spine on a kickoff against the Denver Broncos, and there is concern about whether he will be able to walk again.

AP Photo/Don Heupel
    A trainer attends to Kevin Everett after he showed no signs of consciousness following a helmet-to-helmet hit when he tackled Denver's Domenik Hixon during a kickoff to open the second half.
    "He's had some sparse movement," Everett's agent Brian Overstreet told The Associated Press in a phone interview late Sunday.

"The next couple of days is going to be critical," said Overstreet, responding to a question about paralysis. "Our concern is for him to come out of this healthy and, hopefully, be able to walk again."

3. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    So very sad and terrible. A nightmare come true. I pray for his recovery.

4. stone86

stone86 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25
    pretty sure i just started the same thread. my bad lol

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    It's really horrible. Let's pray for him and the familiy....

and wish the doctors and nurses well.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Every player's nightmare. I wish him the best in a full recovery.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I seen the play and it looked like he was knocked cold. He never moved after the hit and that's when I knew it was bad. I sure hope and pray that he makes a full recovery.:bolt:

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    So very sad. My brother is very upset (he's a Bills fan).

My heart and prayers goes out to him, I hope he makes a full recovery and is able to walk again. Never want to see this happen to anyone on any team.

9. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    So sad, I'm praying for the best for this young man.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Depending on where the break in his spinal cord is, he might be having difficulty breathing. For those who don't know the Spinal Cord sends messages from your brain to your limbs and other body parts to move (e.g. typing). If the break is high enough the messages to breathe and for the heart to pump might not be making it to its destination so the respirator is just for safety unless they know the break is that high.

Poor guy, hope he recovers soon.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Best wishes to him and the Bills...

12. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054

Yes, it's usual but it can also indicate a severe injury to the spinal cord where respiration is controlled. The higher up the insult the worse it is. It sounds like a really bad injury. Poor guy. His family and teammates must be distraught. What exactly happened during that play?

13. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    Opening kickoff of the second half and he made helmet-helmet contact with the returner. It was a tough thing to watch yesterday at the stadium. After that hit he went down hard and when he did not move you knew something was horribly wrong.

The loss to Denver was nothing compared to this. I hate to see a person's health and well-being become nearly lost when things like this happen.

When Kev was drafted one of his first practices I believe he broke his foot and last year he was used little. I felt he had potential to be a decent TE then this happens.

One of the guys at BillsAddiction is putting a small thread together and sending well-wishes to him and his family if anyone is interested. I can always create a thread and then link it to BA.com if possible.

14. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    No, you never get used to seeing serious trauma, esp spinal cord injuries. Or telling someone they have cancer or their heart is failing or their baby has diabetes...all of which I've had to do recently. It's all kind of been bugging me (among other things) lately but I'll snap out of it.

Selling real estate or being an accountant or working at Best Buy seems alot better to me lately lol...I won't say being an attorney because I know what you go through...:icon_eek: Plus if I was the manager at Best Buy, I'd get plasmas at a discount :icon_eek:

Seriously, I hope a miracle happens for this guy.

15. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I was watching this game also. It was a big hit, but it really seemed Hixon had gotten the worst of it. Hixon kind of froze deciding to go left or right and ended up crashing into each other. It looked like Everett hit him with the shoulder pad and not his head so I was surprised with the severity of the injury.

16. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Actually I went back and looked at the archive on NFL Gamepass and see his head went into the shoulder pad of Hixon. God bless him. I hope he recovers.

17. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I wish him a speedy recovery and hope he can walk again