1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

BILLY "BIG BALLS" VOLEK

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080119-9999-1s19volek.html

Volek primed to bolt from the shadows

By Bill Center
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 19, 2008

[​IMG]
    Over the NFL's past 39 seasons, no quarterback has thrown for more yards in his first 10 starts than Billy Volek.
    Problem is, Volek has made only 10 starts in his eight professional seasons – and only one since 2004.

JEFF ROBERSON / Associated Press

Chargers backup quarterback Billy Volek attempted a total of just 10 passes during the regular season before directing last week's winning drive against Indianapolis.
    Which brings us to tomorrow and the chance that the 6-foot-2 Fresno State grad will be starting against the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game.
    Even if he doesn't start, Volek is likely to play.

Volek says he is ready.

“I feel good where I am right now,” Volek said yesterday after the Chargers' final practice before boarding a plane for a five-hour flight.

“I approached it all week as though I was going to be the starter. If my number is called, I have high expectations.”

That possibility of him playing, Volek said, is up to Philip Rivers – more directly the condition of Rivers' damaged right knee.

If it's decided tomorrow morning that Rivers can play, Volek will watch as he has done throughout his two seasons as the Chargers' backup.

“If he's not ready to go, then I've got to be ready to step up and play,” said Volek, who attempted a total of 10 passes during the regular season before directing last week's winning drive at Indianapolis.

“I'm as ready as I can be, given the situation.”

For most of the season, Volek has directed the scout team during practices with a minimum of reps with the varsity cast. Last week, for example, he played the role of Peyton Manning.

That, of course, changed this week when he took most of the snaps in practice as Rivers rehabbed his right knee. Volek took all the reps Wednesday and Thursday, but fewer yesterday as Rivers tested his knee.

“Being a backup quarterback, it's not easy,” Volek said. “I've been a backup player for a few years now and I approach every game like I'm going to start. The only difference this week is that I was treated like I was starting by what I did in practice.”

Be clear about one thing, however: Volek believes in his ability. And he doesn't believe he'll always be a backup.

Asked about the difference between him and Rivers earlier this week, Volek said: “Ability-wise, not much.”

“I think I'm a little bit more of a runner than Philip,” Volek said. “And he's very vocal and I'm kind of a quiet guy. I think that's why we get along so well.”

Nor does Volek seem overwhelmed by the situation.

“You can't make too much of it,” he said. “It's just a game. It's going to be cold. It's a big game. But the sun is coming up Monday no matter what happens. I'm ready. And I'm excited. All of us are.”

Volek admitted he – and all the Chargers – would have to be “almost perfect” to beat the Patriots. He's been close to perfect before.

In 2004, while starting for the injured Steve McNair in Tennessee, Volek passed for 918 yards and eight touchdowns in two games (including 492 yards on the road against Oakland), becoming only the fourth NFL quarterback to pass for more than 400 yards in back-to-back games.

In his 10 NFL starts, Volek has thrown for 2,789 yards.

“But we didn't win as much as I'd have liked,” Volek said. “Here, this is just a strong, balanced offense. You can't draw comparisons to what I did in Tennessee and what's needed of me here. It's different, I'm different. I've learned a lot.”

And he's still listening.

This week, Volek saw Brett Favre talking about playing in cold weather. “You have to take care of the football in cold weather,” Favre said.

Nothing that Volek hadn't heard. But he took note. “Just hearing it from Favre helps remind you how important it is,” Volek said.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    this is why we traded for volek in the first place, because he's experienced at QB and can handle himself in any big game situation

now we get to test it

3. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Volek juevo's grande (sp?)

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Billy Volek: signed 4-year deal thru 2007-2008 season on 3//25/04- + the deal includes an option for the 2008-2009 season worth $2.2M- + he receives base salaries of $1M in 2006, $1.25M in 2007- + he receives a $500,000 roster bonus in March of 2006 and 2007 Agent: Drew Rosenhaus

We own Billy "Big Balls" Volek for next season and have an option ($2.2million) to pick up to keep him after the conclusion of this next season coming up.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Is that a team option or a player option?

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Team option otherwise, it is a buy out option and I have never heard it referred to as a player option in Billy's case. I have never seen the contract so ............

7. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155

He's here for the rest of this season, with an option for next.

This season is 2007-2008.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Billy "Big Balls" Volek ?? :icon_huh:

I'd think they would get in his way. :lol:

I just hope they're made of brass & he has ice water in his veins. :tup:

9. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I dunno if their as big as Rivers. The reason why Philip's a slower guy is because his massive testicles get in the way.

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Too bad his agent is Douche Rosenhaus. If Volek plays and does well, expect his agent to start planting seeds about asking for more money next season.

11. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    If that were the case it would mean a Lombardi.

I would take that trade off. :yes:

12. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I got anxious :lol:

13. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Is it true that he uses 2 cups, one for each nut?

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Brother has a posse to push the wheel barrow he needs to cart those boulders around.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Must be why he has such strange footwork in the pocket.

16. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The way Rivers has been playing I can't believe I may have to rely on Billy Volek to win this game. :icon_eek:

Fuc it. :abq1::bolt::abq2:

17. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Do I know you? You look familiar...

:lol:

18. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :lol:

We all have our own way of doing this bro. You sound like maybe you ate some mushrooms or something...... :icon_party:

Go Chargers!!! :yes: :abq1::bolt::abq2:

19. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I can't believe that I am posting with a famous poster, but I called off the dogs and started my long strange trip with a Sierra Nevada and a shot about a half hour ago.

I am ready for a piece of that NE ***. :yes:

We can't go home, might as well get it on. :yes:

20. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I have just been informed by the powers that be at the UT that I am not allowed to comment any further.

Please refer all questions to Mike Aguirre where he will be happy to tell you how great he is.

Everybody has a little captain in them!

:abq2::bolt::abq1:

21. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    GO BOLTS!!!!!!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6iZ2gK8M86U&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6iZ2gK8M86U&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

:icon_banana::abq1::abq2:

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Something to keep in mind...

If he has to play tomorrow, the Patsies will have NO film to study him!!!

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    They will have some. Old film from the Titans. A few clips of him handing off. I am sure their Ghetto dressing coach will think he has it covered.