1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Billy Volek Trade?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by NORV4LIFE, Aug 21, 2011.

1. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    I know this is out of the blue and a little bizarre but, should the bolts trade billy volek? I mean if we got a 3rd rounder for whitey I wonder what we could get for volek, the best backup in football. If kevin kolb, who is largely unproven with a high bust potential can get the good cromartie and a 2nd rounder shouldn't volek at least garner a 2nd rounder or two? If we could do you guys think it would be worth it. It is reassuring having a capable backup in case the unthinkable happens but at the same time two 2nd rounders or whatever isn't too bad for a backup.

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think we can get a 3rd for him, not at 35 years old, and if we traded him, our backup would be an undrafted rookie, which is not a good idea IMO

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  4. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Damn he's 35 already. TIme sure flies. I remember him having his breakout backup seasons in Tennessee . In that case this thread is stupid.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Gee...how much do you suppose we would get for Rivers?.....No, that's not happening either.
    Focus people....football that counts is coming soon.

7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    I believe Billy Volek really showed us the value of having a quality backup in that playoff game at Indy following the 2007 season - I dread to think how it would've gone for us if we had some young & inexperienced or old & washed-up backup after Philip left that game...I for one appreciate his consistently choosing to remain here as a backup vice fleeing for greener pastures & an opportunity to start for some other team and trading him would be the ultimate betrayal.

Another place where Volek comes through big time for us is as a practice QB, expecially preparing our defense to face Peyton Manning who he became very familiar with seeing the Colts twice a season during his years in Tennessee.

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    If some dumbass team offered us a 1st rounder+ for him then by all means do it. I'd hate having to rely on an unproven rookie wearing #16 as our back-up but you gotta take that kinda value if it presents itself.

That being said, it's not going to present itself so this is kinda like asking whether I should take the payout or the yearly payments if I win the Powerball.

9. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    No. Then No. And then NO!

Bad things happen in the NFL...even if Rivers had to go out for a series, I'd be good with Volek...not with Tolzien. With Volek, the playbook is open. With Tolzien we're gonna run it three times in a row.

10. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    We need an experienced backup like Volek. Case in point, the Indy playoff game when Rivers got hurt, and Volek was ale to come in and eventually lead us to the winning drive.

11. Rule12b

Rule12b Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +116
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2