1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bingham out

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Bingham out

By Kevin Acee
    August 17, 2009, 7:12 p.m.

Defensive end Ryon Bingham has a torn triceps and is going to be out at least the preseason and perhaps into the regular season.

That is not good news, since Bingham is a key part of the rotation at defensive end. The Chargers, however, believe Bingham will be back in September and do not have immediate plans to make a roster move.

His absence will give Vaughn Martin more snaps.

Kevin Burnett worked with the first team at Mo (weakside) inside linebacker. Norv Turner said it happened because Brandon Siler was out with a balky hamstring and they needed Tim Dobbins to play the Mike (strongside) LB spot on the second team. But Turner didn't deny Burnett will end up as the starter when the season begins. I say that's a better than safe bet.

Jacques Cesaire (calf), Stephen Cooper (ankle) and Cletis Gordon (hamstring) returned to practice.

Larry English (hamstring) and Louis Vasquez (foot) worked on the side field. That's the final setp toward them getting back to practice. Maybe they work tomorrow. Turner said both rookies should be back by Wednesday.

Kynan Forney (neck) did not practice. Scott Mruczkowski worked at right guard with the first team. Forney likely just needs a day or two off.

Guard Brandyn Dombrowski, battling to retain his spot on the practice squad, returned to practice after missing last week with a hamstring strain.

Also a good thing for Darry Beckwith that after a week out with a hamstring strain he returned to practice. He was having a good camp and could make the practice squad.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Bingham is just a guy imho. I know we did a 'Whiffhelm' on him and gave him a decent contract extension etc but he would not be a massive loss were he to be IR'd say. Any of those new backup D linemen could probably do as good a job. OK if he can get back by end September then hang on in there and wait for him, any later then IR.

3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think it hurts our depth. I think Martin is the guy but it would be nice to give him more time to develop.

:tup:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Martin needs ALOT more time to develop, and I still believe he'd be better at NT more then DE.

But anyway one of the UDFAs will have to step it up and maybe we'll find someone in the scrap heap to fill out the chart

5. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    But with Ryon Bingham going weak into the season, AJ
    has to get Ian Scott and Keith Grennan as depth on the 53roster. That's 7 for 3 starters. as long as Jamal is healthy
    Vaughn will be in the mix with Jaques and Castillo for DE.

6. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    A veteran should become available at some point here. I'd like to see us pick one of them up, a Jeremy Newberry type who we know we can rely on. I don't see the UDFA being much more than PS players at this point, and I still don't think Martin will be making an impact until next season.