1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Black Monday 2014

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltFanDC, Dec 28, 2014.

1. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I still dont get this firing. I wonder what went on behind closed doors, if it was like a Marty/AJ thing...

3. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Probably a similar deal. Was reading that apparently Harbaugh and their GM do not get along at all.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Harbaugh must have worn his hush puppies to work today.

5. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Call Rex
    And wiz
    They will get us in shape next year

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Fact is, people will put up with almost anyone, as long as the wins are there.

Harbaugh may be the easiest person to dislike, personally, in the NFL...
    but as long as the results were real good, and a Super Bowl trophy was
    literally just one play away...his jerkiness could be tolerated.

But as his toxic personality wore most people down, the results declined too.
    Remember the opening of the 2011 season? Harbaugh won 9 of his first 10
    and many NFL fans were ready to cast him in bronze for Canton!!!
    In the UT forum (I discovered this site right about at the end of that impressive 9-1 run)
    using JH's stunning early success to bash our
    ruddy-complexion'd coach was almost mandatory.

Of course, some, like me, were peskily pointing out that the 49ers almost certainly
    had the best roster in football... (who knows how Singletary was holding them back?),
    but any competent coach could've got 12-14 wins with that awesome roster. (which only got better!).

JH finished out '11 at 4-2...certainly good...but also not the 90% win rate that made
    him the darling of the league. I'm not saying he did a bad coaching job,
    but when you take the best group of talent in the league, and have no rings, despite 3 close
    misses after '11, 12 & '13...well...that personality gets harder to overlook.

And the myth of the first 10 games...as a coach with the magic touch...starts tarnishing.
    Now, to take still arguably one of the finest collections of talent to an 8-8 record,
    suggests not just a flawed coach...but a sub-par one.
    Yes, at first glance, it's hard to imagine any 44-19-1 coach having trouble keeping his job.
    But--given the Porsche he was handed--and the trajectory of this team...
    (never mind what JH must be like to work with) ...a change seems not surprising but inevitable.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    For those of you that think Sexy Rexy would be a better fit in Dego, he got his walking papers and is ready to go.

8. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Mike Smith is out in Atlanta per ESPN

9. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    Phil Emery is out as GM in Chicago, also per ESPN -- wonder what this means for Marc Trestman...

UPDATE: Trestman is out too.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I'd like Rex at d coordinator.

But I thing Pagano has another year to show he deserves the job.

Rex will HC Oakland.

11. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    Call Rex and wiz

12. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    Hope not

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    The front office (McCoy) still putting out how good Pagano can coach and game plan. If your DC has to continually tweak and adjust during the game to stop the flood, he didn't do his diligence. With the exception of the Jags and the Jets, we squeeked by for our wins. Please hire Rexy!!! Say want you want, that man can build a bad A** defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I have to laugh at (the fact that) everyone pining for Rex Ryan. In the last 7 games the Chargers D allowed less than 1/3rd touchdowns when the opposing team entered the red zone (25, or 26 occasions I believe), and that is not enough.

Yet they want the man who's D we put up what, 31 points without a real running game this season?! O yeah and Vick and Smith combined for just 12 completions in 31 attempts? This guy can be an improvement? Really? Sorry, I don't buy that...

The Chargers ended with the 9th ranked D after facing Manning twice (one time holding him to 23 points), Brady, etc. To read some of your posts I would have thought the D ended up at 31, or 40 even....

*waves to the tantrum stalkers*

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    For those who are pining for Rexy, tell me how the other pod of his venerable family defensive tripod, i.e, Rob Ryan did this year?

To those who are screaming for Pagano's head, please enlighten me on how and in how many games our D cost us the games? If my memory serves me right, I think that in games vs both Rams and 49ers it was the D which had actually kept us in plus lets not forget vs the Ravens!!!

I am not saying that we had a spectacular D but come on guys, some of you are pretending that this team ended up 9-7 because of Pagano. In fact it ended up 9-7 instead of 7-9 because of Pag's D! In all fairness, both McCoy and Reich have a lot more explaining to do than John Pagano!

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    I have no interest in Rex Ryan coming here. He will instantly become the center of attention, and thus a distraction.

We certainly did not miss the playoffs solely because of defensive shortcomings; in fact, to the point of previous posts the defense held us in games -- NE, DEN, KC yesterday as examples -- that we should have otherwise gotten whacked in (note: before anyone says anything about MIA that was a horrid game all around).

There are holes in the Chargers, but the defensive coaching ain't among them IMO.

17. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Is Wiz available?

I'd be all for Rex if Pagano gets a HC job (he's in all the rumors for candidates) and Rex doesn't get rehired elsewhere as a HC.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Tweaking and adjusting is the hallmark of coaching.

That could be more a testament of the quality of talent he has on the roster.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    What does Rob Ryan have to do with how good of a DC Rex is? They're two different people who share the same last name.

That being said, I'm not for firing John Pagano. I'd just be all for bringing Rex in if John gets a HC gig, as he's in rumors for interviews (as is Reich)

20. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Try Googling it. I'm not going to make it easy for you!

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I highlight one game because it is the most applicable to 'Chargers fans'. I thought that logic would be readily apparent. Forgive my lapse in judgement on the matter.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Why do I need to Google it? I already know they're brothers. I already know they have similar philosophies by virtue of growing up in the same family under the tutelage of the same legendary coach.

None of that makes them the same person, though.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I fail to see where Blitzy ever eluded to the fact that they are one person. Leo must be bored again... ;)

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Which means what? He has had a longer career, but perhaps the game is catching up to his style of D. I am sorry if I don't see him as the second coming of Bill Arnsbarger...

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am glad to see he is not resorting to ad hominum attacks...

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    So, anyway, I do hope we keep John Pagano because I'm not soured on him like some appear to be.

But if he's hired to a promotion I'd be all for Rex

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Just give me an upgrade on O and D lines and I'll be happy. The coaches don't bother me as much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    OK, speculate for me, how would Rex handle not being the man at the mic? Further how exactly would he improve the D? It is my understanding that the Jest switched to a hybrid 3-4 that runs mostly 4-3 now. I don't follow them so I could be wrong. Pags runs a hybrid to, but it seems less of a gap attack when he goes hybrid and more of an attempt to create mismatches for the LBs.

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    That could take the whole draft. The DL is in better shape right now IMHO, the OL, I dont know maybe when healthy we could use 2 solid players (suggest center and tackle [move Fluker to guard])... I am hopeful that Telesco can make something happen between the draft and free agency.

Do we have a list of free agents for the team yet?

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1