1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Blackmon caught DUI (CMON MAN!!)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ThunderHorse17, Jun 3, 2012.

1. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-three-times-limit?module=HP11_headline_stack

Blackmon agreed to take a breathalyzer test and blew a .24 -- three times the state's legal limit.

Stillwater police tried to pull over Blackmon for speeding -- he was clocked at 60 mph in a 35-mph zone -- and driving left of center early Sunday morning. Blackmon drove about four blocks before stopping in a gas-station parking lot.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    What that article fails to mention that this is his 2nd DUI. He had one in College too.

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    Boy, CBF, you're sure lookin' at the glass as half-empty:
    In his 2010 DUI, Blackmon was doing 92 in a 60 = 32 mph over (at 3:45 am).
    This time it's only 60 in a 35 = Just 25 mph over (at 3:00 am)

So, not only is he not staying out (as) late, but he's also speeding less when intoxicated.
    You've got to admit, there's progress there on both fronts!

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Better than the old nitwit that was in front of me yesterday. Cut me off making a right hand turn when I had the right of way in a 50 MPH zone. He proceeded to make another right turn at the next stop light, and plowed into the back of somebody's Prius..... bumper and body parts strewn everywhere. :rolleyes:

5. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Sadly, I've had ****** nights the last two times I've been drinking and wanted to just go home and ended up driving. I bet I would've blown at least a 0.24 last sunday. Yes, I am the worst piece of scum I admit it. I'm just glad there were no other cars on the road or pedestrians.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    First, I have no fantasy that a few well-meaning words from a stranger twice your age
    will mean a god-damned thing to you...but I wouldn't forgive myself if I didn't say something:
    Dude, you just can't do that! It's not fair to everyone else out there. It's not fair to those who
    care about you. It's playing Russian Roulette with other peoples' lives, as well as your own.
    Not cool. I'm not here to call you scum or any other names...just to try to get you to re-think
    ever doing that again. It's. Just. Not. Worth. It.
    Don't fvck up your whole life (and someone else's)...find a damned ride or sleep it off.

p.s. My college roommate died that way on his 19th birthday...parents never really recovered...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    You gotta be smarter about things like this, for any person, regardless of wealth, the cost of a cab fare is significantly less than the cost of getting caught and losing your licence.

And that doesn't even consider the legal cost if you are to damage something or crash into another car, or even worse the legal and moral ramifications of hurting another person in the process.

It is such a stupid thing to do for anyone, even more so a rich guy in the public eye, totally not worth the risk.

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I think that a large source of DUI in the US is the city layout. Typically a downtown surrounded by endless suburban sprawl, with all of the good places to go partying being in the downtown area, and there being no reliable, efficient public transportation to/from the downtown area into the suburbs.

One of the cooler things about a city like Hamburg is that in spite of the size of the city (1.8 million people inside the city itself, not including surrounding areas), the public transport is amazing, and you're never more than a 1/2 mile walk to a train or subway station. In many ways, our automobile society in the US is responsible for much of our drunk driving problem, as it undermines any efforts to develop proper mass transit in most places in the country.

9. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    There is never an excuse for it. People need to plan their night out in order to ensure they have adequate transport. If getting a ride home is a problem don't go there in the first place, if someone is intending to drink, why drive on the way there at all?

I live in London, and if you're trying to get around after the undergound closes, it's difficult, and cab fares are crazy, but you know what, we plan this stuff in advance, even if it means getting a hotel room, or having 1 person take their turn as a designated driver who doesn't drink, or even on occasions waiting until pretty much sunrise for the tube station to open. Under no circumstances is there ever a legitimate excuse to put yourself and others in danger by drink driving.

One of my closest friends was hit and killed by a drunk driver, it's one of the hardest things i've ever been through to have to try and accept that she isn't here anymore, all because somebody else thought it was ok to take a risk and drive drunk.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I lost my Aunt to a drunk driver. She was in the car after they closed down a bar in Ridgecrest CA. The truckers said the car was doing 90 MPH at 3 in the morning. Sad part is if she had been wearing a seatbelt, she would have survived with only minor injuries. As it was she was ejected through the back window of a Mustang. I have a ghost story to go along with this.

Going back a few years ago, I was in the same shoes, party my arse off, then head home after the bars closed. I look back at it now and wonder how or why I wasnt caught. But as I have gotten MUCH older now, I have learned that drinking and driving dont go together at all. I do not go out, so I dont drink now. Its time to stay at home with the family, and I am okay with that now.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Your confusing an excuse with a cause. There's also a difference between difficult and impossible. There are lots of places in the states where you can't get a taxi, and where walking isn't an option. Obviously drunk driving is a result of irresponsible behavior, however, that doesn't explain why it's still so prevalent, inspite of the significant legal and life consequences of doing so.

San Diego at least has the advantage that you can get a cab virtually anywhere. From living in SD, I wouldn't even consider driving downtown, as the cost of your gas/parking is certain to exceed the cost of a cab.

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Getting back to Blackmon, there's no reason for him to be driving drunk. He could have certainly hired a cab/towncar/limo for the night, likely for relatively little money, and gotten as wasted as he liked.

13. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Oh I agree with you, I was definitely in the wrong. There isn't an excuse I could make that would justify it to myself, let alone anyone else.