1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Blackout looms for the Titans game...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/sep/12/all-white-chargers-opener-could-be-blacked-out/

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,406
    I prefer the headline...... White Out To Be Blacked Out. ;)

4. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Didn't they just win? I guess that didn't sell...
    They may not have dropped ticket prices in 5 years, but most folks' income has dropped in relation to everything else.
    Still, wouldn't be surprised if they got that 'few thousand' taken care of tomorrow...

5. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449

There are over 3700 tickets on stubhub right now listed with many lower than face value! ....

Why would anyone pay full price now?

6. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    "
    If the remaining non-premium tickets aren’t sold by 4:25 p.m. ET on Thursday, the game will be blacked out locally.
    The bigger question is whether the Chargers will buy the unsold seats at 34 cents on the dollar, given the team’s refusal to ensure local TV by reducing their minimum sales obligation.
    And the even bigger question is whether a refusal by the team to buy the tickets could be part of a broader effort to lay the foundation for a move up the road to Los Angeles.
    "
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/12/chargers-home-opener-could-be-blacked-out/

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    It would be hard to believe that they wouldn't want to sell out the home opener...... especially with the tribute to Seau. I expect they will buy up tickets if that's the only recourse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Apathy abounds in SD.

9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Hard to be anything but dissapointed in our fan base.

That said even if I lived in SD (which I don't anymore) I wouldn't go to more than 1 or 2 games a year, unless I was rich and could afford awesome season tickets...and the Titans wouldn't be one of my single game picks. Just too expensive, and too many seats where you feel like you need binoculars.

10. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    <------------------- is this how you guys feel?

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Just for the record, you don't need to be rich to have awesome season tickets ;)

I am sad that the opener is facing a blackout, eventhough it doesn't effect me. I understand it, but still a bummer. Wish I could be there for the Seau tribute... :(

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Well I can see more people are worrried about watching them for free then buying a ticket. The Chargers just do not have enough fans to fill that stadium up.

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
    Well, it's the case in every NFL city that tons more people opt to watch on TV than buy a ticket.
    Mostly because ticket prices are so much higher than other entertainment, games are a luxury for most Americans.

The Chargers have enough fans to fill that stadium if they are consistently winning.

This is an odd situation, because a 50+ year franchise--that had done more losing than winning until
    the current regime--uncharacteristically won so many games in the last decade, that fans came to
    expect playoffs each season (somewhat interesting to those of us who'd suffered multiple decade-long draughts)...
    that now, a two year (17 - 15) run with no playoffs is widely viewed as a colossal failure.

(and, for the record, I've lamented--many times over the years--the fair weather fan syndrome common in San Diego)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think it is a mixture of things, apathy being one. I think the bigest single factor remains the economy. I know several season ticket holders who could simply not afford their seats the last few seasons because of rising costs elsewhere in their lives that were more important than a game.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This is true. I think it's also that the NFL is courting the affluent fans more as well. Look at the push for more luxury suites, how the SB is inundated with corporate blocks of tickets, unbelievably priced PSL's ... why bother to line the pockets of these rich folks?

16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    but Lance when you go to a game, there are alot of the people in attendance wearing the colors of the other team. And there were games that if it was not 50% then it was awfully dang close.

17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    But there are other teams in the NFL that do not have a problem maintaining a waiting list for season ticket holders, and some of the lists are 20 and 30 years long. Those are the teams were people want to be there

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So is this all the fans' fault? No accountability for the organization?

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Oh I am positive that if Norv would have been fired last year, a lot of the season ticket holders would have renewed. BUT going back to my last statement there are not enough Charger fans who want to be at the game. A lot of those fans are of the "BAND WAGON" kind. And this town is famous for those fans. So IMO let them whine and complain when the game is blacked out, if they want to be there they would buy a ticket. They have all year to save the money. I always paid my tickets off when I got my income tax return, because I had a little extra taken out every check. BUT then if you look at Green Bay for years they were terrible, yet that season ticket holder list never shrank.

20. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So it's your fellow fans who are the issue? OK - just wanted to make sure who's feet you're laying the blame at. Give your good buddy Trumpy a call & tell him - he falls squarely into your box.

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Going back into the early 80's the stadium was sold out every single game with season ticket holders. There was even a waiting list. The joint was hopping every single game, there were yellow "CHARGER POWER" t-shirts in the stands everywhere you looked. What happened to those fans?

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    There are several issues which cause this phenomenon in San Diego, but not in other cities.

First, the San Diego economy is largely based on tourism, and supporting the military. Most, but not all, members of the military who come out to San Diego are here for 2-4 years, and then move on to somewhere else, or return from whence they came. This is not conducive to building a fan base among the folks who aren't lucky enough to have the cards fall right for a career stint in San Diego. Tourism, and it's partner, hospitality, results in a lot of people having to work on Sundays. Sadly, it's somewhat difficult to go to a game in the middle of your shift, and this impacts a lot of people in town.

Second, San Diego isn't burdened by "fair weather fans", just the opposite. Football fans in general are "bad weather fans", and the problem is that the weather in San Diego is seldom bad. All across the US, with few exceptions, there is a significant difference between the weather in late September, and the weather for the following 4 months. In Chicago, in October, you can't be outside without long sleeves on unless you're a freak or have a very serious beer coat on, and the same is true of the Pittsburgh area, as well as central Texas. It's simply too cold to be able to really enjoy being outdoors. In San Diego, this isn't the case. On Sundays, you can go to the beach, the Zoo, golf (the easiest tee-time to get at Torrey Pines is when the Chargers kick off), go to Sea World, or just chill out in Balboa Park. Doing these things precludes you from going to the game and tailgating, although not necessarily from watching it. In Green Bay, there's literally nothing for them to do in winter except go to the Packers' game. If it wasn't for the Packers, they'd probably all end up committing suicide from boredom.

The previous two factors are always present in San Diego, but the economy affects San Diegans particularly hard. With the cost of living being so high, the income margins for a lot of residents are significantly lower than in other parts of the country. Exclude everything else and look merely at the difference between what you have to pay for your house in San Diego and elsewhere. In San Diego, $300,000.00 buys you less than 2000 sq ft, and you're probably either in Chula, Poway, O-side, or Ramona, according to what I was able to find quickly on the Remax site. Similar single-family homes in Dallas were $200,000.00, or less, to say nothing of utilities, etc. Imagine how many more season ticket holders we'd have in San Diego if the Zoo, Animal Park, SeaWorld, and beaches shut down on Sundays, and everyone had 50% more money (or if costs were suddenly reduced by 33%). Don't chastise the fan base for being in a completely different situation from every other fan base in the country.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    What is the big difference with the people today vs. people in the 70's or early 80's? There are more people relocating today.

I will give you Florida as the main example. Back in the 60's and 70's the only people that migrated to Florida were retirees. There were actually people in Florida that were born and raised in Florida. Their parents and grandparents were also born and raised in Florida.

Today migration has started at a younger age for many reasons.

Take a look at this map and click on the Miami area (Palm Beach, Broward counties). http://www.forbes.com/special-report/2011/migration.html

Do you see the dark blue lines that are coming from the New York area? Does this answer why the Dolphins no longer have a fan base and that the stadium is at it's fullest when they play the Jets?
    Also this map does not show the influx of the Cuban/Latin American population boom that has occurred. Typically the Cuban population is a strong supporter of baseball. They were not raised with football so they do not really follow it.

You can also look at SD county. I do not live in that area so I can not speak for the migration pattern there.

Even in Texas, Dallas county has an influx of New Yorkers. I have no idea why they leave New York since they come down here and are so "vocal" about how great it is and how proud they are? ;)

Anyway the point that I am trying to make is that with all of the relocation, new generations do not have that "home team" mentality. Also add in the fact that the people who do have a team have relocated to another area.

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    That was before they expanded the size of the stadium in order to get a Super Bowl. If it was still the original size, you wouldn't have any problem selling out. It started out as a 50,000 seat stadium, and in '83 9,000 bleacher seats were added. For that "Charger Power" era, the Murph had 59,000 seats. In 1998, they added 11,000 seats to get the Super Bowl, pushing the capacity to 70,000.

Those extra 11,000 tickets are significant. There's usually a few thousand that they're always trying to sell at the last minute to avoid a blackout these days. I don't think that in the current economic climate that it's realistic to expect a Super Bowl sized crowd for every game..... especially when the opponent is not a marque team. The Titans certainly are not.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,154
    There are some very lengthy and theoretical posts here. I'm not sure how accurate
    those theories are. But I do know that in '81 Charger seating was about 52,500,
    and now it's about 70,500. Some of the new seats don't count against the blackout rule,
    but most do. And the newest, super-high east endzone seats are significantly less desirable.

Also, the team's performance--making the playoffs from '79-'81--was not remotely typical:
    Aside from those three glory years, the Chargers failed to make the playoffs every year after 1965 until 1992.

(The guys here that are hysterical about 17-15 in '10 & '11, could've never survived as Charger fans for most of the team's history)

p.s. I type slow...Blue's post wasn't up when I began mine...hence some overlap

27. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Once again "THERE WERE YELLOW CHARGER POWER T-SHIRTS EVERYWHERE" now sometimes at least 1/3 of the fans in attendance are from the other team. There are teams with a waiting list, funny how the economy doesn’t effect them. Oh wait now we have a suckass team with a crappy owner, and a head coach nobody wants, that explains it all. So until the bandwagon fans get back on board now and unless the fans from the other team buy those extra tickets, the San Diego fans will whine about the blackout.

28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The economy affects them the same as it does people in San Diego, however, when everything costs 33% less, the impact of a downturn on your disposable income is less severe.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hello LA!!!!! :roflmao:

As if this hasn't been Dean's plan all along. :rolleyes:

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,406
    To be fair, they aren't selling those yellow Charger Power t-shirts anymore...... that may be your real problem. ;)