1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Blackouts the Root Cause

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SDRaiderH8er, Feb 29, 2012.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ys-forbes-atlanta_most_miserable_sports_cities_022812

It’s been quite a year for sports fans in Atlanta. Since last spring, the NHL Thrashers left town for Winnipeg, baseball’s Braves blew a near-lock playoff spot on the final day of the season, and the NBA Hawks and NFL Falcons got bounced out of the post-season early yet again.
    That was enough to push Atlanta, always among the top finishers in Forbes’ annual ranking of America’s Most Miserable Sports Cities, back to the top spot for the first time since 2008. Last year’s “winner,” Seattle, slips to No. 2. Phoenix, Buffalo and San Diego, as usual, round out the top five.
    Our unique sports misery methodology isn’t focused on long-term futility, as epitomized by such teams as the L.A. Clippers, Baltimore Orioles, and until recently, the New Orleans Saints. You know about all that. This is about misery as defined by heartbreak – teams good enough to win a lot of games and advance through the post-season, only to disappoint fans in the end by falling short of a championship. Which cities have endured that the most? No one tops Atlanta, a combined 1-5 in World Series and Super Bowl play, not to mention numerous post-season flops in earlier rounds.

Misery points are earned in the heaviest doses by poor winning percentages in the championship round (Super Bowl and pre-Super Bowl era championship games, World Series, NBA Final, Stanley Cup Final), and then get incrementally lower as you move down the playoff ladder to conference title games (and baseball’s LCS) and then to earlier rounds (we also count second place, non-playoff baseball seasons, the rough equivalent of an early playoff exit in the other three major North American sports leagues – hence the Braves’ collapse last September cost them on the misery meter). We round out the calculations by giving some weight to championship droughts (17 years for Atlanta, 33 years for Seattle) and to the ratio of total seasons to championships won (for example, the four teams in Phoenix sports history have competed for a combined 95 seasons with one title to show for them, won by the 2001 Diamondbacks). We also toss in a bonus misery point for losing a sport to relocation, such as the NHL in Atlanta and the NBA in Buffalo and San Diego.

Because we’re taking each city’s full sports history into account, not just recent years, we stuck with sports cities that have at least 75 total seasons of NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB play. That’s to avoid including relative newbies like Charlotte or Nashville or one-team towns like Portland or Salt Lake City alongside traditional sports cities with multiple teams and long histories. Also, we count the ABA basketball and AFL football histories of those franchises that eventually migrated from those leagues into the NBA and NFL.
    What we don’t count: old leagues that weren’t forerunners to modern ones, such as the Pacific Coast Hockey Association, a four-team league on the west coast from 1911 to 1924. Hence, the Buffalo Bills’ 1965 AFL title counts, the Seattle Metropolitans’ 1917 Stanley Cup doesn’t. No offense to that club, but there’s no reason to go down the slippery slope that could lead us to Triple-A baseball, Major League Soccer and the WNBA. Better to draw the line at the major sports leagues, i.e. those that significant numbers of people care about

Now you know why there are blackouts, San Diego is in the top 5 for WORST Sports towns!

2. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Yup we made the top 5 list, and we should be proud of this fine accomplishment. It has taken decades of hard work to achieve this high level of mediocrity! Owners who are only in it to make a buck, and fans that accept that performance. The media around here does not put the coaching staff under the microscope like the east coast does. Everyone works hand in hand and is not out to make any waves! Is it no wonder why when one goes to a game there are more fans from the “OTHER” team in attendance? Is it because there are not enough people who care and who want to make a difference? There are reasons why games get blacked out, and there are not enough fans around here who care enough to voice a concern. Instead of trying to work on the root cause of the problem, why are there are not enough people in the seats, people want to scream about lifting the blackout. Yup that will fix the problem!

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  4. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Nobody wants to respond. We have a crappy owner who tells us he wants a winner, but it sure looks like he is only in it for the prestige of being an NFL Team owner. It is what it is, the only Championship we have is from 1963. There are not too many people around here who can remember that game being played.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am sure that the sting of losing the season tickets has not colored your view at all. Not that I blame you, it would piss me off, even if I were going to give them up.

6. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    It’s not about that at all, Yahoo Sports has created a list of the Most Miserable Sports Cities in America. We came in at #5. I don’t think there are too many people in this city celebrating that fine accomplishment. That position also translates into why we are in the mess we are in right now. Both Pro sports teams in this town are struggling to put people in the seats. Mike Royko maybe had it right when he said “A laid-back city of surfers and quiche-eaters like San Diego did not even deserve to be in the World Series”.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    It only matters if you believe or care what anybody else thinks.

8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Until any team in San Diego gets any respect you are going to continue to hear about it from the other fans as you enter the stadium. And until the season ticket holder's stop selling their tickets to "THE OTHER TEAMS FANS" the ratio of fans from the other team is going to continue to rise. Sitting there and seeing all those Green Bay and Raider fans inside the stadium was heart wrenching last year.

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Who cares what Yahoo thinks? I dont. If you do, ok. I am not going to put a bag over my face or stop following the team because some faceless person at Yahoo has an opinion.

I think New England would have been number one up until the Brady era...

10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    So I guess we do not have a problem with putting people in the seats, we have never won a Lombardi. We dont have huge disccsuions about "XXXX" needs to be fired, and everyone loves Spanos.

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I fail to see how any of this corelates. If Yahoo tell you all that. So be it.

12. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Well than I guess we go on and continue how the blackout is stupid rule instead of putting people in the seats! Green Bay doesnt seem to have a problem as they have a waiting list thats 25 years long.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I think that people get on that waiting list just so they can say they are on the waiting list. My friend here in Big Bear is on the waiting list as are his wife and daughter, and I don't think they have any intention of actually ever getting some.

There is not dick to do in Green Bay except go to football games. The team has been around forever, since there were only a handful of teams, so it's also a generational thing. And let's not forget that the Packers are one of America's Bandwagons, so there are always new people jumping on, especially since they are winning.

San Diego will ALWAYS have fans of other teams in the stadium. It's been discussed many times, but people move TO San Diego from whatever sh_thole they lived in before, or they relocate because of the military, or the good weather, or whatever. Those people arrive with a favorite team already, and they will buy tickets to go see that team when they are in town.

Add in the frontrunners who latch onto the America's Bandwagon teams (Green Bay, Dallas, Pittsburgh, and whoever happens to be winning at that time) and the dipsh_ts who latch onto the Raiders so they can feel like tough guys, and you have a bunch of people who invade our stadium.

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If a sports team is the final measurement of an area then that's a pretty sad tale.