1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-Ray wins, HD-DVD is done...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2008_02/pr1903.htm

Toshiba was one of, if not the biggest backers of the HD-DVD format. With Warner Brothers no longer producing discs in the HD-DVD format and Walmart's announcement to only carry Blu-Ray, this move is not surprising.

Now if the Blu-Ray discs would just come down in price a bit.

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    This whole thing was pointless anyhow. Online content is the future.

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    BTW, lets see how much Sony price gouges the consumers now.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Sony isn't the only maker of players. Philips/LG, Samsung & Pioneer all make players as well. Some other minor manufacturers weren't going to stick their necks out and produce players until the format war was over. More manufacturers = more competition = more players = lower prices.

It does cost more to produce Blu-Ray discs and once production is ramped up, prices should fall.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Expect the opposite. Now prices will begin to fall now that one format has been declared "winnar" as all the complanies will being building hardware to play blu-ray.

Good, time to buy that PS3 I've been meaning to get.

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    They won't do that. That is how they lost the Beta war with VHS. They didn't let anyone else make the Beta machines and VHS ate their lunch. The Beta format was superior to VHS in quality as well.

As noted, many other manufacturers are making BluRays and Panasonic is one of them as well. Been looking at one to go with my pany plasma I got after thanksgiving. 1080P :abq2: Just was waiting for the format war to end and the prices to start coming down. We should see that now as more and more manufacturers start getting on the Bluray band wagon.

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Be careful of what PS3 you get. If you can find one with the 80gb hard drive, get it. The PS3's with the 40gb drives are not backward compatible with PS2 and PSOne games. It even says this on the box. Not a big deal if you don't have any PS2/PSone games.

8. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I was kind of surprised at this. I was waiting on making a purchase of the player until I saw who was "winning"...

This is good info to know.

Online content is definitely on the rise (movies on demand) but I don't think it replaces the tv/dvd player in the living room...