1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Blues and Golds - Preseason #1, Cowboys at Chargers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Aug 10, 2008.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    BLUES:

1. ILB PLAY. The Cowboy 1st string O ran roughshod over our 1st D. I understand that 2/3 of our D-Line was out, but it was pretty bad. When the ILBs weren't missing tackles, they were getting burned in zone. Witten ate us up. I grant that it was a pretty vanilla zone out there, and Cotrell likely didn't switch up any coverages, but it didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling.

2. THE STARTING O-LINE. Was very disappointed. Newberry (I think) was just getting owned out there on a few plays - I'm talking about him getting run around like he wasn't there, one of them resulting in a sack.

3. PR. No panic here, but despite what our homer announcers said on TV :icon_tease: he did NOT look that sharp out there. Romo, in comparison, looked sharp. PR didn't. Hey, it happens. The plain fact is that we got helped out by two PIs, and if it wasn't for those the pass O was pretty much stifled.

GOAT OF THE GAME: Tie, Cooper and Wilhelm. They looked horrible. I noticed Cooper in particular was behind the play quite a few times. But... see below:

GOLDS

1. IT'S PRESEASON. That means all my BLUES above come with a huge caveat. Yeah, the ILBs didn't look great, but they were left out on an island in a pretty vanilla zone. Yeah, the O-Line looked awful, but Dallas clearly caught us by surprise when they brought the blitzes and stunts midseason-style (which LT alluded to in his interview). Yeah, PR didn't look great - OK, I don't have a caveat for this one. I expected him to look sharper. I think he will next week.

2. SPECIAL TEAMS. They dominated every - EVERY - single facet of their game. This portion of the contest wasn't even close - we dominated the Cowboys on Special Teams. Scifres, Kaeding, coverage, returns, you name it; we looked good everywhere. Very encouraging.

3. THE BACKUP RUNNING BACKS. Tolbert, Sproles, Hester - they all looked great tonight. Tolbert put down some crushing blocks, Sproles has just wicked acceleration, and Hester... man, what can I say about that kid. When he lowered the boom on that Cowboy LB I literally jumped out of my seat. War daddy? I think so. Either way, great performance at a position that lost Michael Turner and still somehow winds up looking better. AJ is Gawd.

PLAYER OF THE GAME: Tough one today, with many standouts, but I think I'm going to give it to Jacob Hester. He shone in every single area we expected him to - from catching the ball on the dreaded Neal flare-out (and getting YAC :tup:) to getting the tough yards in goal line situations. I think we've got a good one here, guys. Look forward to seeing more of him.

THE GAME IN ONE SENTENCE: After an unnerving first series, the Chargers prove to be deeper and more talented than the Cowboys.

• Like Like x 1
  2. matt1187

matt1187 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Good write up. The OL in the beginning was pretty lackluster, along with the DL throughout the game. Marcus Thomas also ran pretty well, along with Waters. Waters seems pretty fast and plays hard. I'd like to see more of him.

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Indeed... the trenches looked suspect on both sides of the ball. :unsure:

Not to mention we couldn't stop the "underneath" pass plays. You can give up short pass plays as long as somebody is there to meet the guy immediately. But the Cowgirls receivers were turning up field for at least a couple extra yards after making the grab.

Hester looked alright, but he doesn't have anything close to an explosive first step. I understand that as a HB/FB combo guy speed might not be his greatest asset, but after watching Sproles take a few carries it looked like the guy was moving in slow motion.

I enjoyed the PR to Chambers connections, except for the comeback route that Rivers through to the Dallas CB instead of Chambers.

4. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Yeah, but we knew that, right :icon_tease:

I just think that we drafted Hester for his utility and his ability to gain tough yards in tight conversion situations. He excelled in both those roles tonight.

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I can live with that. I don't watch much college football so this is really the first time I've ever seen the guy. But Michael Turner he is not.

6. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Heh, I'll agree to that. Still, Mike Turner didn't get us the conversions inside the 5 that would have sent us to the Superbowl against NE last year. I think that's part of why we drafted Hester.

I'm watching the game again on my DVR, and MAN does Tolbert impress. The man was a road-grader tonight - there isn't another stronger or more appropriate term. Very, very impressive.

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    hester was a friggin stud out there. did we all forget about cason?although he missed some underneath plays, the kid killed it and played relatively smart. i give his play tonite an A- overall.

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The defense is aligning in a very basic series of sets. The DB's feature two very young players, one who is just coming into his own and one real veteran. Plug in a true rookie and a sophomore so there was nothing unexpected for a first exhibition game. They'll gel in the next few weeks. Cason did a great job of jumping one underneath slant. Considering this was his very first NFL exposure he did awfully well.

9. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Nice take on the game BueandGold. I featured it on the front page. :tup:

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    As usual I agree RC.

My conclusions are basically based on one drive when we had our starting secondary against the Cowgirls (almost) staring offense. And they marched straight down the field running the dink-n-dunk that the Pats have made famous. And against our started DBs and ILBs no less.

But I can definitely buy the "vanilla scheme" explanation. And I will take my own advice and not draw conclusions or base expectations on what I saw from one drive in the first preseason game. :bolt:

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    yeah, nobody but the guys fighting for a spot are trying all that hard. we have sinister defensive plays, but why give it away in the preseason?

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Mark Jones did a great job on the punt returns. Averaged 19 yards per return. I think it was a combination of Jones' ability, our good blocking, and the Jessica Simpsons' poor ST.

In any case, if he continues to return punts well the next two games, I would make a case for booting Osgood or Floyd and keeping Jones.

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The dink and dunk stuff can be effective early in the preseason against a group like the Chargers. With the versatility of our back seven and their backups, Cottrell will be able to disguise coverages better than anyone else in the league. I figure he can even have players switch positions in the middle of a QB's signals. What will one of them think if Merriman jumps inside and someone like Smith suddenly jumps outside, while Weddle or Cromartie and Cason make a jump between one of the two of them in the nickel package while they show a blitz. I'm starting to twitch over the opening game.

14. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Wow, Ray! Thanks, what an honor. :icon_toast:

I'll see if I can do a less off-the-cuff writeup next time :lol:

15. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Yeah, same here! I'd hate to see Mark Jones go. He gives us some additional quickness and speed. Osgood wants out anyway and Floyd is a smaller, slower, less accomplished version of Vincent Jackson. I know it's only ONE pre-season game but Jones looks like he could fill a few back-up roles at least. Watch what happens if he does get cut...the Turds or Cheaters will pick him up!

16. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11

Floyd has done s*** since the 2006 Cincy game. Lets cut his *** and keep Jones.

17. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I'd love to see it, but when was the last time Cottrell pulled something like that? Even when our defense was doing well in the second half of last season, there was zero pre-snap movement.

There's always the excuse that he (and the coaches) are just being vanilla for the pre-season. Which is fine, assuming it's true.

Recall last season when everyone said the exact same thing while our defense sucked during the pre-season. "It's ok, he's just being vanilla so we don't give anything away. Wait until the real season starts and then he'll unveil it all!"

What happened? We sucked for two months.

Usually I'm an optimist, and I will reserve judgment until the end of August and the real thing gets started. But based on track record, I am worried.

18. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Yeah I remember this same talk. But we did pull it together by the end of the season, hopefully the adjustment won't be so slow this year. My biggest concern is stop the run. Jones cut us up pretty bad. And it was his first game in the NFL.

Especially with McFadden in our conference now... I hope Willhelm, Waters, and Cooper can get their **** together and get our run-d up to snuff.

19. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I know he is young, but Cason didn't really twirl my skirt up. He did have that nice breakup play, but I was really worried when he had that man-on-man pass play and the reciever juked him out pretty good. I'm sure it can be refined with coaching, but open field tackling should be instinct at this point.

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm not so worries about McFadden. The guys that beat us up are power RBs just like Barber. McFadden has toothpick legs.

[​IMG]

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    All of the Cowgirls RBs ran pretty well against us - Barber, Jones, & Choice. I was NOT impressed with the way that our D performed - from 1st string on down. I know it's preseason, but Teddy better pull his head out of his *** before opening day this year. We have the talent to disguise our schemes & mix up our looks. Wilhelm & Cooper need to pick it up - neither looked good against the run & even worse against the pass. Way too much YAC.

• Like Like x 1