1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Blues and Golds: Week 7 Guest Writer Edition!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by maestro876, Oct 21, 2008.

1. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    You're probably all wondering what happened to BlueandGold, as this is his usual weekly piece. As it happens, he was out of town this weekend and unable to watch the game, and he didn't feel he could give it its full due.

So here I am.

Obviously the power outages affected all our abilities to watch and enjoy the game as usual (of course, the refs were still able to throw delay-of-game flags--"I don't care if you can't see the numbers on my stopwatch. People came here to see me throw flags, and by God I'm going to throw them!"). I was treated to two and a half quarters of the Steelers and Bengals trading punts. Beautiful. Perhaps it's better we didn't get to see Philip's airhead fumble, though coverage was restored just in time to view Lee Evans's impossible one-handed catch right behind Quentin Jammer. Wonderful. Then we got to see the Chargers move the ball, Vincent's nice little end around, and Philip's bullet TD to same. Nice.

At this point I had to exit to get to work, but was able to listen to the rest of the game on the radio. I just about threw up in my mouth when Josh Lewin announced that Philip had been picked in the end zone. Really Josh? Are you sure you weren't blinded by sparks from the mylar balloons in the power lines? Because the Philip Rivers I know never throws interceptions inside the 20. I spent the rest of the afternoon attempting to teach a bunch of high school kids how to score points on the SAT while simultaneously trying not to start kicking and screaming and generally look like a raving lunatic.

Honestly, the Chargers didn't play badly. They really didn't. It was one of those days that turned on a couple key plays that made the final score look worse than the game really was. It's kind of like one of those days you have when you only have a few things to do, but at the end of the day you're completely exhausted and wondering where the time went. That's sort of what it felt like at Buffalo--on paper the Chargers had decent stats and didn't play terribly.

That's not to say there weren't any Blues. Oh, there were Blues aplenty. But none of them were so egregious as to cost the game if it wasn't for those few key plays.

Now the Chargers are back under .500 and have to really figure something out. Fortunately, they aren't playing the Titans next week (it feels funny to refer to the Titans as the league's powerhouse--weren't they the group with Vince Young at quarterback?). Drew is coming off his worst game of the season, they’ll be without Reggie Bush, Shockey is hurt, and the Saints’ defense is just as bad as that of the Chargers, if not worse. There’s no home-field advantage for the Saints, so maybe we could sneak a few Charger signs into Wembley and trick the San Diego players into thinking it’s a home game. Hey, whatever works.

Ok, I’ve rambled enough. I suppose I should get into the actual “Blues and Golds” thing.

Blues

1. Philip Rivers.

What made you decide it was a good idea to throw a pass to Kawika Mitchell on 1st and goal? I know you said that you’d make that throw 10 out of 10 times because you didn’t think he could make that play, but come on. Take a look at the tape, Phil. Gates isn’t even looking for the ball yet, and even if Mitchell misses, Gates is double covered and there’s no way that’s going to be a completion. And what’s up with just deciding to drop the ball back in the 2nd quarter? Did you watch some tape of Cutler from Week 2 and say, “Hey, I can do that too!”? Ok, so the third fumble wasn’t really your fault, as it’s hard to hang on to the ball when the linebacker comes in unblocked. But wouldn’t it have been nice not to be in that situation to begin with?

2. Antoine Cason

Just terrible, terrible tackling. It’s amazing that it’s taken you so long to get into the Blues column seeing as you’re a rookie, but your play has been pretty solid up to this point. I didn’t see you for most of the first half, but if Hank Bauer and Stephen Cooper feel the need to chew you out, you probably didn’t tackle very well. Sure, you can try to claim that all the other guys on defense tackled just as badly, which would be true, but you had the misfortune to be singled out. Consider this an indictment of the entire defense, but seriously, you didn’t help much.

3. The defensive line.

Come on guys. I thought we were past this “can’t stop the run” stuff after last week. It’s not like Marshawn Lynch is Ronnie Brown (wait, who’s Ronnie Brown?). And for God’s sake, Edwards is coming off a concussion, and the Bills line gave up 16 sacks in 5 games. Did anyone even lay a finger on him? That Bills line is not that good, and they were missing their starting center. WTF mate?

Honorable Mention: The offensive line.

Sure, you kept Phil’s jersey clean for the most part. But when LT has only ten more rushing yards (41) than Vincent Jackson (31), a WIDE RECEIVER, something is not right. Get it together guys.

Goat of the Game: Philip Rivers.

Phil, Phil, Phil. I can’t believe I’m putting you here, but you haven’t really left me any choice. All the other stuff the team absorbed, but what they couldn’t absorb was a fumble when no once touched you and a pick on 1st and goal. You’ve been great so far, but those were bonehead mistakes. Don’t do it again.

Golds

1. Philip Rivers.

On a day when the offensive line couldn’t run block worth a damn, you were the only reason the Chargers actually moved the ball. 22/29 with 2 TDs, that’s pretty good. Your passes were crisp and accurate. You overcame a delay of game penalty in the red zone AND an offense PI call that negated a touchdown, and still punched it in for the score. We just won’t mention the other stuff.

2. Kassim Osgood

I know you want to be a receiver, but you are damn good at special teams. Whatever we may think of the decision to punt on 4th and 1 when down by a score in the 4th quarter at the Buffalo 40, you made the best possible play, and helped put the Chargers in a position to win. Can’t you just be happy with that?

3. Malcolm Floyd

You were very close to ending up in the Blues column after that offensive PI call. But, you put it behind you, got right back out there, and made a legit TD catch to put the Bolts ahead. You’re really starting to come into your own now that Chambers has been out for a couple games—4 catches for 65 yards and a TD. Keep it up, and you’ll see the field more.

Honorable Mention: Vincent Jackson.

Nice catches, nice TD, and nice moves on the end-around. You’re really becoming a great receiver. Keep it up.

Player of the Game: Philip Rivers

I know, I know, I’m going to catch flak for pulling this stunt, but I really do think it’s apt. Philip may have been the reason the Chargers lost the game, but he’s also the reason they were even in it to begin with. Sure, without him there wouldn’t have been the same turnovers, but LT couldn’t get any yards on the ground period. The Chargers relied on Phil’s arm to move the ball, and by and large he did it well.

The game in one sentence: The Chargers made only a few mistakes, but the Bills didn’t make any.

• Like Like x 5
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Nice job Maestro876! :tup:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Nice write up maestro876!!! :tup:

I like what you said about Rivers.
    It's the absolute truth!!! :yes:

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    aaaaaaaaaaaand rep for you! :) great job! after a couple days to digest the loss, everything you wrote made a whole lotta sense.

p.s. where's my Jyles Tucker? he's one of my blues for the week - I miss seeing him out there terrorizing people. come back soon!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Awesome work Maestro! :tup:

Couldn't have done it better myself.

As an aside, Sunday was the first Charger game I did not see live or at least listen to on the radio for the first time since my sea tour in the Navy eight years ago. Depressing.

Lucky for me, maestro was around to pick up the slack!

Hopefully they win next week - and the next, and the next, and so on and so forth - and make it all better. :bolt:

6. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    very nice! ur summary really says it all, we were nearly flawless, but the bills WERE flawless. good deal. theres some things you cant help and theres things you can, and rivers happened to be on both sides of that, he was our best, and worst guy this weekend. lets see what we can do in london. GO BOLTS! :bolt: