1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Blues

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Oct 16, 2012.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Haven't written here in a while.

The truth is, it's been tough to be a Charger fan lately. I'm not a coach firer or player hater, but the fact is this team is incredibly difficult to watch. Even when they're playing well, they don't play with dominance - they play with a kind of sleight-of-hand. Instead of punching you in the face, they pick your pocket and hope you don't notice.

It's just not the kind of football I like.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a Charger fan for life. But at this point I'm honestly thinking of just DVRing all the games and only watching the ones that we don't melt down in. It's better for my heart that way.

A few points.

1. Enough of the ******* Shotgun.

I will be happy if I don't see that stupid formation from this football team the rest of this season. We do NOT have the kind of offensive line that can block for long developing patterns out of the shotgun, and it's not like Rivers stands still and scans the field anyway - as a QB is SUPPOSED to do in the shotgun - in his current shaken state. Put him under center, put two backs behind him, and give the defense something else to think about besides going full-bore at a QB who already has happy feet.

2. BEEF.

Yeah. Pretty obvious. It's time to stop using mid to low round draft picks on OL and start looking for our Joe Staley, because the tape-and-bubblegum gang aren't cutting it. Our tackles are marginal at best, our guards are only serviceable, and our center is undersized. This is the root cause of everything wrong with the Chargers on the field right now, because with a 24 point lead you just need to start hitting the linebackers over and over again with your fullback and just pushing the ball forward and burning the clock. This team cannot play any semblance of ball-control offense, and that deficiency rests ENTIRELY on the OL.

3. It's time to honestly start looking at a coaching change.

Like I said earlier, I'm not a coach-firer. But stuff like poor clock management, shotgun-on-the-one, and the inability to go to the run when it's clear that your QB is starting to show cracks - these are all things that a coach is supposed to do. He's supposed to make the best of your team's strengths and mitigate it's weaknesses. Norv is simply not doing that. Leaning on Rivers after the sack-fumble-TD was just the wrong thing to do. It was time to go to the backs at that point, even if only to restore Philip's composure. He failed to do it, and Rivers just fell apart.

This reminds of of Nate Kaeding's disastrous playoff game against the Jets two years ago. While the first miss was definitely Nate's fault, the second almost impossibly-long miss was a Norv blunder. You don't give a faltering player an impossible task - you give him a breather, a chance to regroup, then feed him small chunks until the confidence is back. His decisions helped cause Nate to fall apart in that game, and his decisions helped cause Philip to fall apart in this one.

---

That's about all I got.

It's hard to feel good about this team right now. 3-3, close second in the division, a long season to go - that's all well and good, but it's hard to see the way through the fog at the moment.

Twenty years ago, Bobby Ross apologized to the city when his team started 0-4.

I feel owed an apology right now. For better or for worse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kayworks

Kayworks BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    At least you stayed home to watch the almost blacked out game!

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    Yeah, but in doing that we had to put up with Gruden slobbing Peyton's knob and openly rooting for the Broncos during the duration of his completely biased commentary.

That said, here's what I posted up on my forums to the constituency there:

One thing folks/fans/whatever need to accept is that not every draft pick is going to boom - even the best drafting teams have guys who don't ever achieve what they want/expect them to do.

Believe it or not, there are parts (certainly not the whole, but parts) of AJ's approach to drafting OL that I agree with, namely his continued insistence on drafting almost exclusively from SEC, Big 10, and Big XII programs (granted that's changing a little as these conferences gain and lose programs or they shift around). These are largely the most 'pro-ready' conferences (in that they play the closest to 'pro-level' competition more often).

What I really wanted to highlight about the post above that truly seems lacking in this entire organization is a true vision. And no, "hoisting a Lombardi" or something as general as "building a dynasty" is not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to an identity, a culture, that when anyone (not just our fans) think of San Diego Chargers football it's the first thing that comes to mind. Because right now that identity is perennial underachievers and that's crap, or we're the "We'll get it next year" team... over and over again.

Norv isn't a vision guy. Before anyone chimes in with Gruden, I really don't see him as one either. He's so incredibly indecisive, he's like a kid in a candy store - he sees something newer and shinier and "wants that". Look at the majority of the coaches that have succeeded in defining, implementing, and seeing a vision through to establishment, you're not going to find a ton of coaches who are these "fiery," "overly vocal" guys (the team tends to model itself after its coach, and you get an overly blustering guy you get a Rex Ryan or Pete Carroll who really aren't as great as they think they are).

I know this is something that guys like HEXED and Buck have been begging for for a while. They'll tell you what vision they have/want for this team (HEXED certainly won't mince words but it's a very clear vision, all the same).

4. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Shotgun is supposed to slow down the pass rush and get the ball out sooner, Norv LOVES long plays.. NOrv must be AL Davis.

5. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    Hell, been a northern ca charger fan all my life and this is living man. This team will be in the playoff hunt all year cause the afc is mediocre and I like this a helluva a lot more than 1-15. Stop whining already, I wanna see a charger Lombardi before I'm dead as much as anyone, but either way I'm still watching. The last two blew the donkey in TJ all right, but you gotta wash that stuff out'a your hair and keep on dancein. We're 3-3 with 10 to go, buckle up.

6. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    You want to be in a playoff hunt all season, miss the playoffs at the end, and have ****** draft position for team building perennially? Awesome. I want them to be as horrible as possible from here on out, because we're not going anywhere with this line. Tyronne Green should've focused on run and pass blocking technique instead of dragging F250s this offseason.

7. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Shotgun isn't supposed to slow the pass rush down at all, nor was it ever intended to do so. Nor was it intended to get the ball out more quickly. The purpose of the Shotgun is to allow your QB to scan the field while not having to drop back, and allowing him to keep his head up during the process. However, the shotgun also puts your QB in more danger if your tackles are garbage and the DEs/LBs can just run right past them to the QB.

8. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    And who is to say that he wasn't focused on run and pass blocking techniques?

9. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    No I want to get into the tourney and see what happens.

10. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +226
    Very good points, all. Oddly enough, that 0-4 team that Bobby apologized for went on to win the division & a playoff game.
    Good post. I recall a few years ago when we lost at home to Denver on MNF, making them 6-0 and poised to run away with the division. We didn’t lose another regular season game that year, finishing 13-3 with the #2 seed in the Conference before our meltdown in the playoffs against the Jets.
    Me too, ‘cause one of those times it’s bound to break our way! This could be the year, especially with New England, Pittsburgh & Baltimore all looking like shells of their usual selves.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    If he was it's even more of an indictment of how inept our OL coaches are at developing, because his technique is inconsistent at best (from a 4th year player), and his motor is complete crap.

Hal Hunter... the guy whose praise was sung and got a promotion because the line he put together in 2010 with crape paper and Scotch tape wasn't as completely terrible as it should have been. Mind you, Dombrowski was still a revolving door that year, as was Clary (who somehow was the only OL who couldn't even succeed at getting injured properly that year). And our front office celebrated him like he was Hudson Houck or Mike Munchak.