1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolt Rookies ready for training camp

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Casey Pearce

Offseason Coaching Sessions came to a close Thursday for the Chargers’ rookies and select veterans, and the young players found the period beneficial.

Throughout the spring, Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner has repeatedly said his main goal for the team’s Offseason Coaching Sessions is to get his players ready to compete once they return for training camp.

As the team’s rookies concluded their OCS period Thursday, the young players felt good about their progress and believe they’ll greatly benefit from their work when they return in late July.

“I’m more than grateful for this time,” said cornerback Brandon Hughes, the team’s fifth-round draft pick. “I’ve been encouraged by the progress that I’ve made over the last four weeks. I understand the defense better, I understand what they’re asking of me and I got a feel for what camp is going to be like.”

When asked what they found the most helpful over the last month, players cited the crash course they received in the team’s offense and defense, the time spent with their new coaches and teammates and the first opportunity to work with accomplished NFL players.

“I’ll be able to play faster in training camp because I know what’s going on, what I’m supposed to be doing,” safety Kevin Ellison said. “Seeing the level of competition is big, knowing what you’re up against and just getting a feel for how things are run from as a program. It was a good month for us.”

Running back Gartrell Johnson echoed Ellison’s feeling and voiced his pleasure over the individual attention he received from running backs coach Ollie Wilson during OCS’s.

“Coach Wilson really helped me out with my feet the last few weeks,” Johnson said. It was great and I needed it. I got some great one-on-one coaching with him showing me the right way to do things. I feel a lot more comfortable.”

With many of the veterans gone, the Chargers rookies saw their number of snaps go way up during the last week, which helped even more as they make their transitions.

“ Reps make you better, so the more reps I’ve got, the better I feel about everything,” guard Tyronne Green said. “I’ve had a chance to work on my hand placement and my pass sets. Coaches have been encouraging, so getting that little extra confidence helps.

The rookies will be at Chargers Park through next week as they conclude their portion of the team’s offseason conditioning program. The week of June 28, the draft picks will attend the annual NFL Rookie Symposium in West Palm Beach, Florida. Hughes will keep a diary for Chargers.com while at the event.

Rookies and select veterans report to training camp on July 26. They’ll be joined by the rest of their teammates on July 31.

Like many of their veteran teammates said a week ago when they wrapped up the on-field portion of their offseason, the rookies said they’ll take some time off over the next few weeks but won’t completely shut it down.

“I’m still going to work out pretty hard because I know training camp is going to be tough and I want to be ready,” Ellison said. “It will be nice to have a little break but the work is far from finished right now.”

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    So, who stays & who goes. It's gonna be interesting.

I'm guessing there will be a few surprise cuts this year.

Currently, there are 14 linebackers on the roster.

There were 10 on last's year's 53 man.

Something's gotta give.

3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I would get rid of the white guys first.

If we are still over 10, then let performance in training camp and exhibition games be the deciding factor.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    :icon_rofl:

I remeber last year we argued about this...

good times... good times...

:icon_rofl:

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wilhelm is gone...

6. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    AJ is already setting the TK plan in motion.

From Chargers.com:

"In addition to signing Hughes, the Chargers released four players Friday. Offensive tackle Sam Allen, cornerback Ramarcus Brown, wide receiver Jeremy Childs and linebacker Anthony Felder, all of whom were undrafted rookie free agents, were waived."

Anthony Felder is white.

:icon_eek:

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The Black Attack. :abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

So long, ballerina boy!! :tup:

8. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    FWIW: I am not averse to playing white dudes in the trenches on both sides of the ball, slot receiver, placekicker and punter, holder, or at quarterback. I can see how my comments could get taken out of context.

9. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Or even IN context, for that matter! :yes:

10. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Yeah and no more fat Lithuanian midgets!

11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    You suck dude, I'm Lithuanian. :icon_evil: I am.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm ready for TC, too. :tup: