1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolt Rumors..sdboltreport.com

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BoltED619, Mar 18, 2007.

1. BoltED619

BoltED619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Good read, great prospects..Enjoy! (Stolen from another forum)

By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com
    Posted Mar 17, 2007

The weeks leading up to the draft are often compared to a poker game, as general managers rely on deception to produce a winning hand. If there is one tell that gives away a team’s intentions, it’s the meetings that team has with top players at the Senior Bowl and Combine. Three prospects met with the Chargers at both venues, increasing the odds of those players wearing lightning bolts next year.

One player the Chargers have met with twice now is Reggie Nelson, a free safety from the University of Florida. Despite leaving school after his junior season, Nelson was at the Senior Bowl to support his Gator teammates when he met with Chargers officials there. San Diego then met with him again in Indianapolis at the Combine and has arranged for a personal workout as well.

The Chargers would have to be lucky for Reggie Nelson to fall to them at No. 30. However, trading up for a player of Nelson’s ability is a distinct possibility. He is a ballhawk who excels playing centerfield and is a powerful tackler, too. In San Diego, he would likely be named the starting free safety the day he signed his contract.

“I’m someone with a great personality and I’ll be a great leader like I have been,” Nelson said.

The second player the Chargers have now met with twice is LaMarr Woodley, a hybrid player from the University of Michigan who would play outside linebacker in San Diego’s 3-4 scheme. Like Nelson, Woodley met with the Chargers both in Mobile for the Senior Bowl and at the Combine.

Woodley is an excellent athlete who offers a rare combination of quickness and power coming off the edge, registering 12 sacks as a senior. He can also hold his own against the run, showing the potential to be the type of two-way defender the Chargers lost in Steve Foley.

The third player the Chargers have met with twice already this offseason is Tony Ugoh, an offensive tackle from the University of Arkansas. As a senior, he helped drive the nation’s fourth-best rushing attack as the Hogs averaged a phenomenal 228.5 yards per game. Also, he registered five or more knockdown blocks in 11 of 14 games that year.

San Diego would benefit from adding a stud tackle like Ugoh. He could sit and learn for a year or two before moving into the starting line-up, likely bumping Shane Olivea inside to guard.

“I love playing ball and I’m very competitive,” Ugoh said.

Each of aforementioned trio has piqued the Chargers’ interests with his combination of productivity and potential. Because of that, each is a solid candidate to be picked by the Chargers on draft day.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Nice read, welcome to Bolttalk!! :tup: :icon_toast:

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    well said, welcome to the crew

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    welcome welcome, nice read, i would like to see us move up on draft day, we very seldom do but i wouldnt mind it if we are getting one of the top two safeties.

5. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Thanks and welcome!!!

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What his coolness said!:yes: :tup:

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Good stuff.

I'd like to see us talkin' with Patrick Willis. Chances are he won't be there at 30, but he'd be a great replacement for Donnie or Randall.

8. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    very good read:tup: :tup:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Reggie Nelson, I think he still might be there but its doubtful. He is as pure of a FS as there is
    Lamar Woodley is an awesome pass rusher and would be great depth for us at OLB

Would like to see us looking at more WRs ya know?

10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I only problem i have is that i think we don't need a FS as we have Mcree but we do need a SS as we let Kiel go which was a good move becuase of all the crap he brought

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Ugoh would be a waste of a first round pick, RT isnt one of our bigger holes right now and I think drafting one would be overkill in hopes to move Olivea.

Woodly would be hell of a steal in the second round, I see him going at about 44th. But I think he'd get limited playing time behind Phillips and Merriman.

Nelson I love! It would take a damn miracle for him to get past the top 20 though. I think AJ needs to lower the bar a little on this one.

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Cool site i just hope we could have interest in Steve Smith and the RB from Arizona but the rest is good

14. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Cool site. Thanks for the post. :tup:

• Like Like x 1
  15. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    No DT in that list ? :icon_shrug:
    the Chargers need some one to backup Jamal and in a few years replace him

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Damn skippy. That one has the Conc seal of "HELL YES!"

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    exactly what i was thinking lol

18. BIG WILLIE STYLE

BIG WILLIE STYLE BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Whats up with that safety MERIWEATHER?

He is the 2nd best safety out there.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931

he's one of them for sure but its a matter of his conduct

he's definetely no choir boy BUT from what i've been reading I don't see him as a AJ Nicholson or a Chris Henry

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    My guess is they make IGOR jamalls replacement in a few years. Which means they really just have to find another castillo type d-end. Which I hear they are looking for this draft.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I dont think Igor has the size to be Jamal's replacement.

22. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    "Reggie Nelson .... is a distinct possibility. He is a ballhawk who excels playing centerfield ...

Now, THAT'S what I've been talkin about (for years).... :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

23. compubolt

compubolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +186
    mc cree can play both spots. But honestly mccree is a SS not a FS. getting a top FS would really make a big difference in our backfeild.

24. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    YUP,... on all counts...:tup:

25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Igor has one thing already that would make him an outstanding NT; his power. Add another 20lbs on to him and he should be an outstanding NT.

Nelson very likely will be gone, the Jaguars might get him

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    20 lbs still makes him tiny compaired with Jamal...

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Next to the Manster Jamal... He still looks tiny...

Jamal is 10 stones high, shoots fire outa his eyes, and lightning outa his arse!