1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts’ defense continues to grow

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    When Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin flipped on the film of the Chargers’ win over Kansas City last week, he didn’t see any dramatic changes from the Bolts’ defense in their first game under defensive Ron Rivera.

“If there are any differences, they’re very subtle at this point,” Tomlin said. “As we move forward, I’m sure that Ron’s personality and imprint will become more evident on how they play and what it is they do from a schematic standpoint. That being the first time out, I’m sure there are going to be more differences as we proceed.”

On Thursday, Rivera agreed with Tomlin’s evaluation. The Bolts were able to tweak a few things against the Chiefs and will likely be a little more different this week in Pittsburgh, but Rivera believes change is a process.

“You can’t make wholesale changes,” Rivera said. “We’ve got to pick and choose what we’re doing. We got a little bit of it this week, we’ve got a little bit more coming up.”

One of Rivera’s biggest goals has been to simplify the playbook and get players in better positions to make plays. That involves some new concepts, but that Rivera believes that familiarity is also important, which means everything can’t change immediately.

“You can’t really just come in and say, ‘Okay, get rid of, get rid of…’ because that’s what you’ve been practicing for a year and a half,” Rivera said. “It’s going to continue.”

Since becoming the club’s defensive coordinator two weeks ago, Rivera has tried to create some changes, but perhaps his best work came on the fly during Sunday’s game against the Chiefs. The Chargers hoped to pressure Kansas City quarterback Tyler Thigpen more affectively, but when the Chiefs came out throwing on three-step drops, Rivera and his staff quickly rethought that idea.

“What they were doing offensively almost dictated what we had to adapt to as well,” Rivera said. “When I tried to attack it, all he did was get rid of the ball quickly. “We weren’t going to get the kind of pressure we’d hoped to, so we adapted and said, ‘Okay, we’ll play this call.’”

The adjustments worked out well. Kansas City gained just 106 yards in the second half and scored just six points. In the third quarter, the Chiefs had just 14 plays.

“The biggest thing about it, we were able to put the guys in place to make plays,” Rivera said.

Injury update

Four Chargers did not participate in Thursday’s practice. Wide receiver Buster Davis (groin), defensive tackle Jamal Williams (rest), cornerback Cletis Gordon (knee) and linebacker Marques Harris (hamstring) all watched during practice, while safety Steve Gregory was limited time on the field.

For the Steelers, cornerback Bryant McFadden (forearm), tight end Heath Miller (ankle), offensive tackle Marvel Smith (back) and cornerback Deshea Townsend (hamstring) didn’t practice, while linebacker LaMarr Woodley (calf) was limited.

Chargers.com

2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Thigpen got the ball out quickly, which quarterbacks have been doing for a while to neutralize our rush. Brees and Edwards both did it.

The nice thing about the Steelers is not only does their line give up a lot of sacks, Roethlisberger holds on to the ball for a very long time. This will help us get sacks.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Attention Norv: Shotgun may be a way to neutralize a strong Steelers pass rush. Mix in the no huddle and you make things even more difficult.

(And Philip, remember these words "The Tight End is your Best Friend")

jes sayin'

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    If they can get their **** together and get plays in on time.

I just want to see more improvement on the D and less of the hot dogging.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Bolts' defense grows? Yeah ok sure whatever
    Tomlin doesn't see any changes, i didn't last week, so they have to show me before i believe that garbage

• Like Like x 1
  6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That is precisely how I have suggested they open the game. Give Rivers a list of options that vary with the initial defense alignments and allow him to call from the line of scrimmage, taking what they give us. He has the smarts and experience to do that now and the no huddle would fit the strategy I favor to a tee. The last thing we want to do is dictate the run.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    So is the big turd sitting in my lower intestine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    That's what the headset is for. We should never have a problem getting off a play unless Rivers audibles with little clock time left.

• Like Like x 1