1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts’ defense ready for second chance at Broncos

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Thursday, Dec 25, 2008
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

The month of December has been a redemptive one for the Chargers. Their three-game win streak has provided them an opportunity to vindicate a 4-8 start.

Their eight turnovers in the last three weeks have rejuvenated their defense.

The fact that they’ve landed blows as they’ve fought with their backs against the wall has given them a renewed confidence.

A win Sunday against Denver would make their four last-second defeats basically irrelevant.

Sunday also provides the Chargers’ defense with a chance to make up for a disappointing Week 2 showing in Denver, a day in which the Broncos gained 486 yards of total offense, 350 of which came through the air.

“This is a game where we can erase a lot of things that happened this year,” safety Clinton Hart said. “And that was one of the worst things.”

In Denver’s Week 2 defeat of the Chargers, Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler completed 35-of-50 passes for 350 yards and four touchdowns. Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who has 98 catches for 1,210 yards this season, was on the receiving end of 18 of those.

Opposite of Marshall, the Broncos feature rookie Eddie Royal, who has 80 receptions on the season and caught five passes in Week 2, including a fourth-quarter touchdown that set up his game-winning catch on a two point conversion. Along with tight end Tony Scheffler, who caught six passes for 67 yards in Week 2 against the Bolts, the Chargers know they have their hands full.

“They’ve got weapons,” safety Eric Weddle said. “They’re not one of the best offenses in the league for nothing. They’ve got two great receivers. They’ve got a tight end that can run like a receiver and a quarterback who can make a lot of throws. We’ve got to bring our ‘A’ game.”

The Chargers secondary acknowledge the challenge Denver’s second-ranked offense presents, but the Bolts believe they are a much better defense than the one the Broncos saw in three and a half months ago.

“We’re different schematically,” Weddle said. “We’re more sound in what we’re doing, each individual along with the team concepts, what we want to do and what we’re trying to get done. Early on we were hesitant in what we were trying to do. I think right now we like what we’re doing. We’re making progress.”

As the Chargers gather answers for stopping Denver’s potent passing game this week, they may find some in the film of the second half of September’s matchup. After giving up 226 passing yards in the first two quarters, the Bolts settled in and allowed just 114 in the second half.

“We played a lot better in the second half and stopped a lot of that until the last drive. One of the things you have to do against them is not let them get big plays. That was the difference in the first half and the second half. We feel like we’re doing some things better. We are pressuring the quarterback better. We’re creating turnovers and protecting the ball. That’s been a big part of what we’ve done over the last three weeks.”

Injury update

Chargers defensive tackle Jamal Williams (foot) returned to the practice field Thursday after missing Wednesday’s drills, as did defensive end Igor Olshansky, who was ill Wednesday.

Wide receiver Malcom Floyd (collapsed lung) was limited Thursday and linebacker Brandon Siler (foot) missed a second-consecutive day.

Offensive tackle Ryan Clady and tight end Daniel Graham returned to practice for the Broncos as all 53 men on Denver’s squad practiced on Christmas.

Floyd feeling better

Ten days after suffering a collapsed lung, Floyd says that he feels fine. He ran during individual drills Thursday but is still unlikely to play Sunday according to Turner.

“He ran well and that would be the issue,” Turner said. “Every step along the way has been positive for him. Each thing they did with him, he’s been fine. I think he’s come back faster than anticipated. He’s a very physical player. He catches balls in traffic and unless he’s completely 100 percent, we wouldn’t put him in a position where he’s going to go get banged around.”

Floyd suffered the injury in the first half of the Chargers’ win over Kansas City two weeks ago. He battled shortness of breath throughout the game but continued to play. He even caught a fourth-quarter touchdown pass that set up an onside kick and subsequent game-winning drive.

“During the game it felt irregular, just my breathing,” Floyd said. “It was hard to catch my breath. I thought it was just because it was so cold but it was more than that.”

After the game, doctors recommended that Floyd undergo x-rays, which revealed the collapse in his right lung. He spent the night in Kansas City and had a tube place in the lung to re-inflate it.

“If I had gotten on the flight, it could have become really serious,” Floyd said. “I was disappointed I didn’t get to fly back with everybody but now I’m thankful the doctors did everything they did.”

Floyd is anxious to get back on the field but is trying to be patient and do what’s best.

“I feel normal,” Floyd said. “I’m going off the doctor’s word. They’ve got a close eye on me but I feel great.”
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

No Cottrell this time. :tup:

Different ball game. :yes:

Let's see more Naanee & Sproles. :abq1:
  3. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Sep 16, 2006
    No Cottrell and hopefully, no officials helping the Donko's. It all comes down to kicking their @#$%& early and running up the score. Jayboy is choking and as long as you turn up the heat on him, get him frustrated, he'll do dumb stuff. I think we can knock them around this time!
  4. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Oct 3, 2006
    Go Defense - It's your turn to save this season
  5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Nov 11, 2007
    the sig says it all... MAKE. THEM. PAY.

except that M80 is an even bigger stud than previously thought! he played an entire 1/2 with a collapsed lung!? jebus~
  6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Aug 14, 2008
    Everyone, that is all of the former pros that think they're qualified to be experts on football, is talking about the improvement of the San Diego defense. I'm hearing all about how more aggressive and quick San Diego's defense is but then I look at the numbers and not much has changed. Kansas City still ripped the secondary to shreds and Tampa Bay did plenty of damage. We are still ranked 31st in pass defense and we're facing the very pass offense in the league. That said I'm looking for pressure. I think that is the one missing component. Rivera was a pressure stud in Chicago when he had really fast corners that were useful in the pass rush. I'm not sure he has fast defensive backs though in San Diego. Still, more four or five man rushes are absolutely necessary. Another thought - play Antwaan Applewhite. Everytime that guy is out there he either makes a play or helps make a play. He may not be great in coverage but bring him in as a rushing ILB and I bet he'll make Cutler pay.