1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts 2009 opponents

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Dec 29, 2008.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Tough schedule next year.

HOME
    Baltimore
    Cincinnati
    Philadelphia
    Washington
    Miami
    K.C.
    Denver
    Oakland

AWAY
    Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Dallas
    NY Giants
    Tennessee
    K.C.
    Denver
    Oakland

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    That won't be fun period
    I will enjoy getting another crack at Eli Manning, and I'll probably be heading east for that game

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'm also looking at either the Giants game or Dallas. I used live in Dallas and have been looking for an excuse to go back check in with old friends and visit all my old haunts!!. And check out their new house at the same time. :tup:

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Perusing Denver, KC, and Oakland's 2009 schedule, I see at least 9 losses for each of them.

So.... that means 8-8 wins the division for us again next year! :icon_rofl:

Plan: Go 6-0 in the division and beat both Cincy and Cleveland. That should clinch the division for us.

5. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Why do we have to play Miami and Tennessee?
    Is it because we finished first in our division and so did they? So does Denver have to play Indianapolis and New England again?

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I am willing to put up some bolt cash on this one.

We play Dallas on Thanksgiving Day.

Because it is either us or Oakland.

Who offers the better game?

7. floridaboltfan

floridaboltfan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Yeah they will get both of them. And they can have em.

8. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    At Pittsburgh, Dallas, NY Giants and Tennessee??

Brutal.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Somebody help me out here. Why are we playing IN Pittsburgh again this year?

BTW - I'll probably hit that game if anyone else is coming.

10. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Because we played them twice in a row here, due to different reasons.

Just like Indy played here in San Diego last year, and this year as well.

First, we played Pitt here in 2005 because both teams were first in their division after the 2004 season.

Second, we played Pitt here in 2006 as well, because it was part of the AFC North rotational schedule (we played Cleveland, Baltimore, Cincy as well that year remember).

Thus, in 2008, we played at Pitt because we were both first place in our divisions. Because the last time we played Pitt due to that sole fact, it was 2005 and Pitt came here, we now played in Pitt.

In 2009, we play Pitt again, but it's mainly because the AFC West plays the AFC North as part of the rotation. The fact that both teams won their divisions is secondary. Because the last time we played Pitt as part of the rotation, it was here in 2006, we now travel to Pitt in exchange.

In 2006, we also played at Baltimore, at Cincy, and here versus Cleveland. So now, in 2009, we play Baltimore and Cincy here, while we go to Cleveland.

In 2003, we played the AFC North as well, and if you recall, that year played Baltimore and Cincy here (lost to Baltimore 24-10 and to Cincy 34-27), while going to Pitt (lost 40-24) and Cleveland (won 26-20).

Now, should both teams finish first again next year, they will face each other in 2010 as division winners being the sole reason. Then in 2010, Pitt will come here. Now, should we repeat that again in 2010, each being division winners, we will travel to Pitt in 2011.

In 2012, we play Pitt as part of the rotation again. The last time we played Pitt as part of the rotation, 2009, it will be at Pitt. Thus, in 2012, regardless of whether we played Pitt in 2010 or 2011, it will be here in San Diego.

We also play the entire NFC East (Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, Redskins). The last time that happened was 2005. Back then, we played the Giants and Cowboys here in San Diego, and at Philly, and at Washington. Thus, now, in 2009, we play at New York Giants, at Dallas Cowboys, while the Eagles and Redskins come to San Diego.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks, Sluggo!! You are a veritable fountain of information! :tup: :lol:

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    9-7 or 10-6 will win this train wreck of a division next year.

Given the Chargers sweep the division which should not be a problem that puts us at 6 wins. The Bengals is a 7th win, Browns are an 8th win, Redskins is a 9th win .... Baltimore or Giants/Dallas could be a 10th win..

We lose against the Steelers, Eagles, Titans and Miami again for some weird reason and then someone else because the players lose their minds and focus.

If we look at it this way, it really is not that hard of a schedule to make the playoffs.

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    8-8 wins the division again next year.

Looking at the Donks, Turds, and Chefs schedules, I see 9 losses for each of them. :tup:

So, as I said above, just go 6-0 in the division, and beat Cincy and Cleveland. That's all we need. :lol:

14. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

This doesn't mean nothing. We had the 2nd easiest schedule this year, and look what happened. NOBODY expected MIAMI, ATLANTA, and CAROLINA to make the playoffs. Those teams are really good this year.

Pittsburgh had the #1 hardest schedule, and they still rolled out double digit wins.

Did anyone think Jacksonville would go from 12-4, to 4-12 ??

Our schedule could end up being easier than you might think.

After what happened this year, I'm not going to make any predictions.

Well, o.k., 2009 division champs again, and 10-6. :yes:

15. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Well at least i get to go to 2 games this year (Cleveland and Tenn). Looking forward to it.

remember 1 thing...............................

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

16. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    AFC WEST

Denver
    Home: Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New England, Dallas, NY Giants
    Away: Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Washington

Kansas City
    Home: Denver, Oakland, San Diego, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Dallas, NY Giants
    Away: Denver, Oakland, San Diego, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Jacksonville, Philadelphia, Washington

Oakland
    Home: Denver, Kansas City, San Diego, Baltimore, Cincinnati, NY Jets, Philadelphia, Washington
    Away: Denver, Kansas City, San Diego, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Houston, Dallas, NY Giants

San Diego
    Home: Denver, Kansas City, Oakland, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Miami, Philadelphia, Washington
    Away: Denver, Kansas City, Oakland, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, Dallas, NY Giants

17. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Either Denver or San Diego is going to have one hell of a season at home. Denver might lose every home game. San Diego could win every one. But that raod schedule - ouch!

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd rather the Chargers play the dolphins and titans than the patriots and colts (Denver will lose those two, badly)

Pennington and Collins can't be as good next season as they played this season

19. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    I may try to make the Tennessee game too. Got a buddy that lives in Memphis who's a Charger fan. Could be a fun trip.

20. bleed_bluengold

bleed_bluengold BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    man, thats a hard schedule there. except for the divisional games lol. if the bolts get thier act together, MAYBE we might do pretty well.

21. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    We need to go undefeated at home in '09.

22. Vinny ECB

Vinny ECB BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Bolts Fans,

As an East Coast Bolt, you can pretty much pencil me in for the GMen game. Hopefully, its scheduled by the 1st wk of Nov. I was at the Pittsburgh game this year. Not sure if I'm going back out there. Their fans are ok in my book. Tenn game could be interesting depending when its scheduled.

I have so many Cowboy relatives that we might have to put a plan together to get to my first Cowboy game. New stadium next season w/ Super Chargers coming in... My 1st cuz lives in Beaumont so I'll have to find out if he has any ticket connections.

Go Bolts! Kick the crap out of the stinkin Colts & awful 2008 MVP choice!

:abq1: :abq2:

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Man, they should let the Division winner play the division losers. That would give extra incentive.

Our schedule this year looked like cake, then suddenly all the teams on our schedule didn't suck.

It's not who you play, it's when and where. Looking at what JL posted, I think we have the best chance of success w/ our schedule than our division opponents do with theirs.