1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts acquire Chambers from Dolphins

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Tuesday, Oct 16, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
    The Chargers added another explosive playmaker to their offense just prior to Tuesday’s NFL trade deadline as they sent a 2008 second-round choice to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for wide receiver Chris Chambers.

“We are very excited to add Chris to our team,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “He brings a wealth of experience and outstanding production. He is an extremely talented football player and we have held him in high regard throughout his career.”

Chambers is a seven-year veteran who has a history with Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner. In 2002 and 2003, Chambers’ second and third seasons in the NFL, Turner served as Miami’s offensive coordinator. The Wisconsin graduate caught 52 passes for 734 yards and three touchdowns in his first year with Turner. In 2003, Chambers had a breakout season while working with Turner. That year he caught 64 passes for 963 yards and 11 touchdowns.

“Chris is an explosive, talented player and I’m thrilled to have an opportunity to work with him again,” Turner said. “He’s a very consistent player and he has big-play ability. We think he can add to what we’re doing on offense.”

Chambers earned a trip to the Pro Bowl following a 2005 season in which he hauled in 82 passes for 1,118 yards and 11 touchdowns. In six games with the Dolphins this season, he’s caught 31 passes for 415 yards.

The Chargers believe the 5-11, 210 pound receiver can contribute immediately due to his knowledge of the team’s offense. In addition to working with Turner in the past, Chambers has spent the last six months working in Cam Cameron’s offense, the same system that Turner runs and the same one that is still in place from Cameron’s tenure as the Bolts’ offensive coordinator.

“The bonus for us is that he’s familiar with the system,” Turner said. “It should be a quick and easy adjustment for him. We expect him to come in and be productive right away.”

Chambers ranks fourth in Dolphins history in receptions (405), receiving yards (5,688) and touchdown receptions (43). He has 15 100-yard receiving games in his career. Consistency has been a strength of the fleet-footed pass catcher as he’s recorded at least 50 receptions in each of the last six seasons. In 2001, he led all rookies with 883 yards and his 48 receptions trailed only LaDainian Tomlinson (59) among first-year players.

In order to make room for Chambers on their roster, the Chargers placed wide receiver Eric Parker on "Reserve - Injured" Tuesday. Parker has been sidelined since August with a toe injury.

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
  3. Boltbaby

Boltbaby BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    Best news I've had since Sunday! WooHoo, beware the BOLT! :bolt:

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    If we want to use the other thread, at least add Chris Chambers' name to the thread title!

5. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!! WHEN HE HAS SOMEONE TO THROW TO HIM HE IS A TOP 10 WR BY FAR!!!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW

6. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I'm sure the gloom and doomers will find a way to negatively spin this, but I'll take a receiver like Chambers for a 2nd round pick next year, any day. I like this a lot! Way to go A.J.! :abq2:

7. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    And he's catches the ball with his hands :yes:

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    In order to compete with the Patsies and Ponies... we HAD to upgrade our receiving team!!!!

Good work, AJ!!!! :bolt:

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    My Raider fan buddy just IM'd me to give me the news...

His message to me: "Merry Christmas Mutherfukker!!!"

HOLY CANNOLI... this could be huge.

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    :yes:
    Ant is on full-tilt in the other thread.

PS: MERGE TIME.

11. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Another WR... Yippee, we are doomed....

:)

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
  13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    In order to make room for Chambers on their roster, the Chargers placed wide receiver Eric Parker on "Reserve - Injured" Tuesday. Parker has been sidelined since August with a toe injury. :icon_sad:

14. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I think Chambers will make an immediate impact :tup:

15. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I hope he does:tup:

16. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

I'm going on record to predict 100 yards recieving in his debut against Houston.:tup:

17. TJBOLT

TJBOLT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Im going to predict 100 yds for Gates and for LT, and he will have 5 catches for 45 yds (c'mon its his first game)

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Trading for Chambers smart move for Chargers
    Oct. 16, 2007
    By Clark Judge
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer

While Chris Chambers' exit signals the beginning of a purge in Miami, it could mean the start of something big for San Diego.

For years the criticism of the Chargers has been that they didn't have a credible outside threat at wide receiver. Well, now they do. Now they have a 29-year-old potential star who once hauled down 82 passes and has 15 100-yard performances on his resume.

Better yet, they just acquired a guy whose contract doesn't expire until after the 2009 season.

Chambers was going nowhere in Miami, where the Dolphins have given up on the season, but he could -- no, should -- flourish in San Diego, and here's why:

First, the Chargers have a far superior team and a far superior quarterback situation. Second, they're pushing for the playoffs, which means he should be reinvigorated. Third, and most important, Chambers has been involved with coach Norv Turner's system when Turner was the Dolphins' offensive coordinator.

"The system is a bonus," said San Diego general manager A.J. Smith. "Plus, we have a bye."

Critics contend the Chargers gave up too much in a second-round pick, but I disagree. When you need something -- especially when you think you need something to take you to the next level -- you do what you can to acquire it.

That's why the New York Giants paid a stiff ransom in 2004 for Eli Manning. They had a conviction about him.

And the Chargers' Smith has a conviction about Chambers. He's not concerned about his team's record this season; he simply wants to win the AFC West and reach the playoffs. The Chargers already were the favorite in their division because of an abundance of talent, but this move just clinched a playoff berth.

It makes them better on the outside, which should make them better pushing the ball inside with LaDainian Tomlinson.

Opponents have stacked the box this season against San Diego, daring the Chargers to beat them with Antonio Gates and Vincent Jackson, and the results have been mixed. But the arrival of Chambers will force opponents to respect him, which means one or two fewer obstacles in the path of Tomlinson, and you figure out what that means.

Chambers' acquisition is the latest bold move by Smith, and he made it shortly after putting receiver Eric Parker on injured reserve. Parker hadn't played all season, and Smith was determined to improve the club at potentially vulnerable spots.

He just succeeded.

...continued here...

19. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    I've really liked Chambers and hoped we could get him earlier because of his potential. It's tough to give up a 2nd rounder for him though in my book. A new WR will be nice in the mix though. If Chambers can get over his dropsies with a quality QB throwing him the ball, then he'll help. Will he help in proportion to the cost? Maybe not. AJ is going all-out to fill the needs on the team. He overpaid for the chance to get Weddle. He used next years draft pick to get Oliver. He overpaid for Chambers. It's pretty obvious he's in a win-now-at-all-costs-this-year mode. Hopefully we see the results.

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Chambers was a second round pick himself. Wasn't he? I think the career #s he's put up are on par with a second round pick. But I think his potential to come in and have a big impact far outweigh the potential of a second round pick next year stepping in right away and immediately impacting a defensive scheme.

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Second Round in 2001 #52

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Exactly. So what are the odds that the #52 pick in next year's draft comes into the league and is as good as Chambers is right now? Or even two or three years from now?

Crap shoot IMO. But I like our chances with Chambers versus grabbing :icon_shrug: in next year's draft.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    An excellent post. I remember the game where Chambers torched the bolts. I am stoked about this!:tup::icon_banana:

24. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    One of those games that made people distrust the awesome skills of Jammer. All part of AJ's plan, of course. :yes:

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Gil Brandt is on Sirius NFL radio right now just praising the move. Lots of calls coming in now from San Diego about this trade and the positive impact it will have in the locker room as well as the production of the offense.

Specifically discussing the fact that Jackson is going to get loose now...

26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    What's not to like. Chambers is a quality person, a durable guy and a solid playmaker. He's going to make everyone on this offense better.

This move is a sign of the good working relationship between Norv and AJ. No doubt that Norv pushed for Chambers, since he'd coached him before.

27. gobigblue

gobigblue BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    He's gonna wear #89!!!

Again, I'm not making comparisons but the last time the Chargers traded for a WR that took #89, Wes Chandler made our already potent offense even more dangerous. Chambers will make this offense even better as mentioned earlier. He'll spread the field. Take double teams off VJ and lessen the number of defensive players in the box. I can't wait to see this offense fine tune itself against the Texans and Vikings before taking on the Colts!

Just realized that Chandler initially took #86 and eventually switched to #89.

28. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Wasn't Boston the last #89 WR we traded for? :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  29. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    We didn't trade for him. We signed him as a free agent.

• Like Like x 1
  30. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Oh yeah, my bad... it's all coming back to me now.