1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts, Broncs renew rivalry

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    While the verbal sparing between Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers and Broncos starting signal caller Jay Cutler at the teams’ matchup in San Diego last year has been replayed endlessly, both players dismissed the notion that would boil over into Sunday’s game at Invesco Field.

“I’m not really sure what happened,” Cutler said. “I think it was kind of blown out of proportion.”

Rivers agreed, saying he felt he and Cutler were a little miss-portrayed by the “flap” that ESPN has continually run through the offseason.

“If that doesn’t get on TV, I don’t think such a big deal would be made about it,” Rivers said.

The thing both quarterbacks won’t dismiss is the intrigue of Sunday’s matchup between the teams that have finished one and two in the AFC West in each of the last two seasons, particularly considering the revamped rivalry between the divisional foes.

“It’s getting to be a rivalry,” Cutler said. “I think with us having kind of a younger team and these are the guys we kind of see as the team to knock off. They play at a high level.”

Sunday’s contest brings intrigue from the Chargers side because it’s their first division game; it provides the opportunity to pick up their first win and a victory would keep them from falling two games back in the division.

“Division games can be crazy because you know each other so well and so much is on the line,” safety Clinton Hart said. “We didn’t play as well as we wanted to last week and it cost us. We know how important it is to be at our best this week.”

The Chargers are looking for their fifth-consecutive win over Denver. After losing six straight in the Mile High City from 1999-2005, they’ve now won back-to-back games in Denver. The Bolts have never won three-consecutive contests in the Mile High City.

“Certainly we know how hard it is to go there and win,” Rivers said. “We don’t take those two that we’ve gotten there these past two years for granted. They were tough and we had to earn them.”

While the Chargers have a lot to play for, so do the Broncos. Coming off a 41-17 win in Oakland last week, Denver would love nothing more than to show their might by picking up a second-consecutive win in the division.

There’s also the redemption factor. The Chargers outscored Mike Shanahan’s club 64-6 in last year’s two meeting, and Denver’s head coach was very blunt this week when discussing the disappointment he had in the way his team performed against the Bolts last season.

“We weren’t in the game,” Shanahan said. “They kicked our rear ends both games. It was an embarrassing situation in both games, home and away. It was a pretty good beating both times. The only thing that was different (between the two games) was the field.”

The scoreboard wasn’t the only place the Chargers dominated the series last year. They out gained Denver 484-296 in the first game and 334-225 in the second. The Bolts won the turnover battle by a combined 6-1 and controlled the ball for 10 minutes longer in both games. Cutler easily recalls the way he felt after those contests.

“It’s tough,” Cutler said. “Especially to have a divisional opponent like that just dominate you, it’s a hard one to take. It’s definitely a hard one to go back and watch. They did everything right. We did everything wrong. They controlled the ball. They controlled us on defense. We’ve got to get better. They’re the AFC West champions. They have been for the last couple of years and they’re a tough team and they deserve it. We’ve got our hands full.”

Shanahan said Wednesday that his club is much better than they were a year ago, due to maturity and the fact that they’ve added weapons. In Monday night’s win, rookie wide receiver Eddie Royal caught nine passes for 146 yards. That was without the help of Brandon Marshall, who caught 102 balls last season but was serving a suspension last week.

“It’s going to be a challenge,” Hart said. “They’ve got some young guys who can make plays and they’ve got a talented young quarterback who can get it to them. We’re not walking in there thinking we’ll beat them because of what happened last year. It’s a whole new ballgame.”

Rivers, who is 4-0 with seven touchdown passes and just two interceptions against the Broncos, expects a playoff atmosphere Sunday, one he can’t wait to play in.

“They’re excited and they’ve got a lot of reason to be excited,” Rivers said. “We’re hungry and excited because we didn’t off to the start we wanted. This is the reason you play the game, to play in games like this. It’s going to be a lot of fun.”

LT, Cromartie rest

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson (toe) and cornerback Antonio Cromartie (hip) missed a second-consecutive day of practice Thursday due to injuries. Both have a chance to practice Friday and the team believes they’ll be ready to play Sunday.

Chargers.com

2. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    I am starting to feel some bad Karma about this Denver game. I don’t know if we can overcome all of our injuries. I thought McNeil would have been back from a stinger by now. Plus Cutler and company are sure trying to use last years PR smack talk as a motivational tool. :mellow:

3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    originally reported as a stinger but has been a bulging disc in his neck:icon_sad:said to have had a good MRI and may be back for the jests game. i'm concerned about this game as well. Cutler is the real deal i'm afraid and they were pulling some weird **** from deep in the playbook last week. who knows what weird **** they'll try this week.
    don't get me wrong, I still believe we will win, but it may be alot harder than some people expect

4. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    Cutler is the real deal. (makes me sick) I think this is the first time I can remember when the Donks will use the passing game to open up their running game. Our secondary better be ready. At least we don't have any major injuries there. It's going to be tough to stop Marshall and Royal.

5. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Cutler is not the real deal, he's a Jeff George qb, a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head. Cutler hasn't had a winning season since high school, while Rivers has been a winner at every level.

Can anyone explain why Shanahan opened the playbook against the Raiders?

6. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    He does have a million dollar arm, but from what I have seen so far he hasn't made to many mental errors in preseason or against the turds. I think he is unfortunately going to be a really good Qb.

7. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Why do I keep hearing this crap? How can you possibly say someone is the real deal because of his performance against a team that is MAYBE the equivalent of Helix High's football team?

8. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    Look how fast and accurate the ball gets from point A to point B.

9. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Not difficult to do when there's no coverage to speak of and no pressure in your face.

I'm not saying he sucks. He's better than me that's for sure, but then again that's not what I get paid to do. But I have yet to see proof that he's the "real deal". I just saw a professional football team play against a high school football team.

Not impressed. :tdown:

10. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    I will have to show this post to a turd fan friend of mine. :icon_rofl:

11. Chad Peter

Chad Peter BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    You can convince yourself all day that the worst team in the NFL (the Raiders) is the equivalent of a HS football team, but you're an idiot if you do. Plain and simple, it's still the NFL and while teams can have a crazy difference in talent level, you're still fighting against professionals - I don't care WHO you play for.

As far as Cutler's talent level - as far as I'm concerned I doubt the majority of you are qualified to even answer that question. I'm guessing you've seen what, six games of his total? Please.

12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    You're a fool if you think we don't pay attention to ALL our division opponents games.

13. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    The only mental error he could have made with the Turds is to place a bet on them to win the game.

I'm not saying he didn't play well but there are few starting NFL quarterbacks that couldn't pick apart a defense with the time he was given.

Wanking him off for one good game against one of the worst teams in the league is pretty short sighted.