1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts & Dolts; Ram Tough

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Nov 23, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Bolts
    Brandon Flowers - This team needs to resign him
    Chris Watt - This is the present and future of center
    Ryan Mathews - Even with injuries, it's a completely different running game with him as the bellcow
    Ladarius Green/Seyi Ajirotutu - Stepped up when needed and did a great job
    Andrew Gachkar - great head's up play
    Marcus Gilchrist - one play can absolutely turn a man from a Goat into the hero

Middle Ground
    DJ Fluker - love his fight but he's clearly recessed
    Philip Rivers - Just not understanding some of his thinking but at the same time he went from worse of 2012 to the best of 2013.
    Donald Butler - considering his past games this is a huge upgrade
    Johnnie Troutman - best game in a long while, but gave up a big sack when needed
    Keenan Allen - made some huge plays but a massive boneheaded fumble

Dolts
    Shareece Wright - had one of his worst games in a long while
    Chargers pass rush - Amazing pressure but need to get a sack
    Chargers special teams - their worst game in likely two years
    John Pagano - Saved by the end but he called a horrid game
    Frank Reich - I understand there is a learning curve but he's not making great progress in his game plan

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,149
    Rivers had one tragic play---and I'm not sure if it was his fault or Allen's...but 29 of his other 34 attempts...Bolt

Mathews almost 9 yards a carry...awesome given the (lack of) run blocking we've seen this season. Bolt++

I'm guessing you mean "regressed" on Fluker...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Does this go in the books as a "sloppy win" or "this victory goes to the team that lost the least?" :)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Lol at all the Mathews haters, the Chargers have simply missed him a lot.

Please, Marcus Gilchrist did not have a good game. He made one play, in which the ball was thrown right at him. He was burned way too much by a mediocre core of receivers and a below average QB. 38 can walk in the spring..

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Bolts: Rivers, Allen and Mathews. OLINE!!!!!!!
    Dolts: Defense wasn't were it should of been. Special teams.

6. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,149
    Well, since the Dolphins folded and let Denver go to 8-3, I guess it's "sloppy second"

7. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    a lot of players had both good and bad points, obviously gilchrist's interception after being burnt all day, allen fumbling after a huge gain, the special team getting a blocked fg + nick novak being automatic but otherwise poor.

Dam flowers is good and ryan mathews played well too

8. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,149
    It was just one play...but it was huge.

How many times did we see Jammer drop the ball in a situation like that?
    You can't take that catch for granted...especially a ball in the air for such a short time.
    Gilchrist isn't going to the Pro Bowl any time soon...but that was a clutch play.

Who knows, that play could be the difference between the Chargers making the playoffs, or not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I still can't trust Gilchrist.

Maybe one too many lost *in the damn bag* AFC Championships because of Marlon McMee gives me hesitance.

10. chahjah

chahjah BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +134
    Chris Watt stepped up a lot
    We don't have to worry about the center anymore. Oline got a bit better. only a bit, though

11. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Didn't get to watch the game. But Mathews got hurt again? You don't say.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yeah after averaging over 10 yards a carry through most of the game and single handedly getting the Rams off Rivers' back. You want to bag on that go ahead.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    Shoulder injury, and he was out for most of the 4th quarter, but did return for last series or so.

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,149
    Probably not a good day for that lazy meme.

(a minor injury--that RM returned from--after destroying the Rams at almost 9 yards a carry)

15. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I saw his stats. I forgot about all the Rygina homers here. I will say it was nice and have a running game. We will see if he can stay on the field more than 1 week.

16. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Lmao every day is a good day to get you all upset because someone doesn't think as highly of him as you do.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Rygina homers? I guess that is an attempt at cleverness.... sad that you cant get over forum arguments and give credit where it is due.

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,149
    Well, I guess that's one way to accept the news that I'm delighted to see RM
    vindicating what I've been saying for years...no way to upset me today as I watched
    Mathews show how special I--and some others--have been saying he is. :D

Now, was that more fun than watching the bold predictions of a Charger loss by the usual wrong predictors? :p
    Tough call. :abq2:

19. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Lol nobody ever doubt's his talent when he is on the field. The question as it seems right now will ALWAYS be WHEN HE IS ON THE FIELD. You can't deny that he is the most if not very close to being the mist injury prone starting RB in the NFL.

20. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Lol attempt at cleverness? You might want to read posts on this forum dating back a couple of years. Its been said all ready many many times. Soooo clever? No. Nice try though.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Forgive me for giving you credit for originality. If being a parrot is what you prefer so be it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    I'll give credit where credit is due, when this kid proves he can't just do this for more than 10 weeks a year on a consistent basis. Sorry if my non- Ryan Mathews kool aid drinking was to much for you. ;)

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,149
    No, it's never been just about the injury time
    --any real NFL fan knows that running backs get injured routinely--
    it's also been about fumbling, vision, dedication, etc.
    No rational person expects any back to be as healthy as LT was...
    the question has always been does RM have enough talent to keep him...
    despite some here calling him "a bust" and worse. No need to try to re-write the history now...

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Gilchrist had several opportunities this year to make a key play late in the game to help us win; finally he came up BIG! Great Job Gilchrist!

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I understand what your saying LT-Epress. In my view Ryan Mathews made a difference today! I applaud his effort and the fact he held on to the ball! Endurance issues aside, the Bolts are a better team with Mathews in the game!

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    I think as a whole, when most of the players on this team are healthy, the TEAM does well.

27. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    You don't have to be a homer to be impressed at 10 yards a carry. Unfortunately for Mathews, his upright running style leads to more hits and more injuries than other backs. Rod Bernstine was the same way back in the day--great when he was on the field but always getting dinged. I don't think people are upset because you don't think as highly of Mathews. It's that you question his toughness by calling him Rygina. The fact that Mathews style leads to more injuries than other backs does not mean he's soft.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,149
    Well, I used to do detailed statistical analysis comparing Mathews' productivity
    to other running backs of his draft class, and of our division, etc. to demonstrate that
    this injury-prone meme wasn't really what some assumed it was.

But then I learned that some fans have zero interest in comparing RM to the real world
    of NFL running backs, and damn it, they're just going to stick to their flawed perceptions,
    and not let facts move them.

So, no...no more explaining it for me. If anyone wants to believe that RM has been
    significantly less productive than other backs...fine...it's not my job to educate people.

I only pointed out the bad timing--with RM crushing it today--of trying to play the
    injury card...if you want to kick a Charger when he's down :rolleyes: at least wait 'til he's down.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Bolts

Thought the O line looked better than it has most of the yr but still don't believe Troutman is starter material. We can do better than he surely. Been saying it for weeks but Watt needs to informed that he is the center for next 10 yrs. Let's go with him. Smart guy will only get better and stronger.

Mathews ran with power and burst.

Loved how Keenan came back after the fumble but still thought he was carrying the ball a bit loosely on the TD. Needs to clean that up. He is a stud if he can get his concentration/focus down.

Great to see Green and Tutu see some action on O. Long time coming.

Not going to big up the D in general as this was the Rams we were playing and we still couldn't hammer their QB. Run D suffered some too. Pags prevent D continues to prevent nothing.

A 2 min drill with proper clock mgmt at end of 1st half, thank God for small mercys, can he/will he do it again is the question?

Dolts

Shareece Wright - I still like 29 but this was his worst game in memory. He won't be starting in 2015 if Flowers is kept on. Verrett and Flowers to start but I like Wright as a back up.

Gilchrist - kudos for being in right place right time but one has to wonder was it an accident. He did say he 'didn't have a lot of responsibility' on that play. I wonder was it because he was horrific up to that play? I don't know what position this guy is supposed to play but he sure ain't no cover corner (he played corner in college, but seems to be designated a Safety now). I won't miss Gilly when he is not re-signed in offseason. We can improve on him.

Chris Davis - wakey wakey.... WTF were u doing?

The refs, jaysus do they love some yellow.

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Mathews work helped spring the offense, when he's on his game I can't think of many that would be considered better. Simply put, the Bolts are much better with Mathews than without him and his running style still reminds me of Chunk Muncie.