1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bolts Follow 'Backer from Combine to Pro Day

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by boltmanbz, Mar 19, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://sdg.scout.com/

anyone have access to this article to see who it is? anyone going to get a start a thread of a list of guys we are looking at?

2. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    THUMPER YOU HAVE THIS ARTICLE?

3. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
  4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I'm thinkin Grable - but it should be Groves...

5. boltmanbz

Ratings:
    +86
    Bolts Follow 'Backer from Combine to Pro Day

By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com

The Bolts finished last season with 19 fewer sacks than the year prior. Looking to reverse that trend, A.J. Smith has honed in on a pass-rushing 'backer to add to his arsenal. The Bolts met with this prospect at the NFL Combine and were one of only four teams in attendance at his recent Pro Day. Find out more in this SDBoltReport.com exclusive.

The Bolts appear to have locked in on UNLV defensive end Jeremy Geathers. The Chargers were one of only four teams to send a scout to his Pro Day on March 5, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. The Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars and Oakland Raiders were also in attendance.

Geathers’ primary objective for his Pro Day was to improve his speed, which is imperative if he is to make the transition to outside linebacker in San Diego’s 3-4 scheme. He showed himself well, recording times 40 times of 4.74 and 4.83. Less than a month earlier at the NFL Combine, Geathers was clocked at 4.95 and 4.88.

Geathers (6’2”, 248 pounds) only partook in the running drills at his Pro Day, allowing his Combine numbers and game films to speak for themselves.

“I really feel like I'm a complete player,” Geathers said. “I just really want to work on just studying my defensive scheme and studying opponents.”

It is a telling fact that the Chargers were impressed enough by Geathers during their meeting at the Combine that they sent a scout out to his Pro Day, despite his limited participation. Geathers is projected to be a late-round pick, which is all the Bolts can afford to spend on additional linebacker help.

Geathers’ transition to the NFL will be eased by his family ties. His cousin, Robert Geathers, is a defensive end with the Cincinnati Bengals. Jeremy’s father, Jumpy Geathers, was a 13-year NFL veteran who made his rounds with the New Orleans Saints, Washington Redskins and Atlanta Falcons. Jumpy ended his career with the Denver Broncos in 1996.

Jumpy has told his son to "go in there and be yourself and everything will take care of itself."

A.J. Smith has an affinity for second-generation stars. Charlie Whitehurst, who Smith tabbed with a third-round pick in 2006, is the son of former Green Bay Packers quarterback David Whitehurst (1976-83).

Smith also has a fondness for versatile defenders who can get after the quarterback. If Geathers falls until the final two rounds of the draft, Smith may see him as the safest Las Vegas gamble a general manager can make.

6. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised... they've been spending time with alot of 6 & 7 rd prospects... here's some recent info on Geathers..

03/06/08 - Jeremy Geathers thinks he gave a good enough showing in his pro day workout Wednesday at Rebel Park to hear his named called in April's NFL Draft. Even if only four scouts came out to watch. The 6-foot-2-inch, 248-pound defensive end, who left UNLV after his junior year, was determined to improve on his less-than-stellar 40-yard dash times from the NFL scouting combine in February. He had times of 4.95 seconds and 4.88 in Indianapolis. After clocking a time of 4.74 seconds with a 19 mph tailwind and 4.83 into the wind Wednesday, Geathers thought he showed enough speed to warrant draft consideration. "It definitely tells (scouts) I have speed," he said. Geathers said he has received feedback from NFL teams indicating he could go anywhere from the second to sixth round of the April 26 and 27 draft. ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. said last month that Geathers probably would go in the late rounds. Geathers did not take part in any other drills Wednesday, preferring to let his other work at the combine speak for itself. He bench-pressed 225 pounds 29 times at the combine. - Mark Anderson, Las Vegas Review

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Late rounder, gonna be hard to make this squad unless he's a real baller. :icon_shrug: