1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bolts hard at work after day off

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Aug 8, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +262
    <strong>August 8, 2005</strong>
    Source: <a href="http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2226">Chargers.com</a>

After a well-deserved day of rest on Sunday, the Chargers went back to work Monday morning. The Bolts were in full pads for a physical practice, one that was almost too physical at times.

During team drills, cornerback Drayton Florence took exception to a block that tackle Wesley Britt laid on him. The ensuing scuffle drew a crowd in the middle of the field. Fortunately, no one was injured, but Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer didn't seem pleased about the disturbance.

"There's no room for that mess out here," Schottenheimer said. "We've already addressed it."

Added quarterback Drew Brees, "After a day off, guys are a little fresher, so that stuff happens. We're ready to play somebody else. We're tired of beating up on each other, so we're ready to test it out on our opponents."

Wide receiver Greg Camarillo drew an applause from the crowd when he made a diving grab on a pass delivered by quarterback Philip Rivers. Camarillo made several nice catches on the day.

"It's a non stop route, the Quarterback's job is to throw it outside," Camarillo said. "He put it where it needed to be. It was about third and seven and he threw it out nine yards and I just went out and caught the ball."

Veteran linebacker Steve Foley had an impressive morning, capped off by the viscous hit he laid on running back Michael Turner. The second-year back got a substantial amount of work Monday, and ran well during team drills.

Cornerback Sammy Davis also had a nice workout and knocked down a couple of passes.

"The day off went well for me," Davis said. "I was able to rest and it helped me out with my recovery a lot. I'm progressing pretty well and just going out there and making plays."

Players who did not practice today were defensive end/linebacker Shawne Merriman (hamstring), defensive end Luis Castillo (foot), linebacker Ben Leber (foot), linebacker Marques Harris (back), tight end Ryan Krause (foot), offensive tackle Courtney VanBuren (knee) and wide receiver Malcom Floyd (calf).

Teams do not issue official injury reports during the preseason, but Schottenheimer said that if he did, Merriman and Castillo would be questionable for Thursday's opener at Green Bay. In addition to a tight hamstring, Merriman had his toe stepped on during Saturday's practice and received minor medical attention. Castillo is battling a minor foot injury that doesn't figure to be a long-term issue.

No Jinx Here

Britt was featured this week in the "Leading Off" section of Sports Illustrated. The rookie from Alabama was photographed while relaxing in one of the cold tubs outside of the Chargers' training room. The issue, which features Packers' training camp on the cover, is currently available on newsstands.

Return to the Tundra

Chargers wide receivers coach James Lofton spent nine seasons of his illustrious career with the Packers. In addition to being a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Lofton is also enshrined in the Packers Hall of Fame.

"James is one of the most gifted athletes in the 86-year history of the organization," Packers team historian Lee Remmel said. "He was a deadly receiver, but I vividly remember James scoring an 83-yard touchdown on a reverse one time. He had incredible speed and knew how to use it."