1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts hear Tomlinson’s message

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wednesday, Dec 24, 2008
    By Casey Pearce , Chargers.com

Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson generally prefers to be a player of more action than words.

“I’m not going to get up in front of the team and talk a lot,” Tomlinson said. “I think it gets kind of fake when guys hear you saying something all the time. They kind of get tired of you talking all the time. I feel like when I really need to say something, then I’ll really say something.”

On the last day of November as the Chargers walked off the Qualcomm Stadium turf after suffering a heartbreaking loss to the Falcons, one that left them three games behind Broncos in the AFC West with four left to play, Tomlinson felt it was time he speak up.

“It was something on my heart to say something to the team because at that time it looked like we were pretty much done,” Tomlinson said. “When that happens, I’ve been on a team before where they have tanked. They’ll say, ‘The season is over and we don’t really have anything to play for.’ At that point it was all about not quitting and staying with it, finishing strong and being prideful about finishing our work, finishing the season strong.”

Apparently Tomlinson’s teammates got the message loud and clear. They haven’t loss since, and three and a half weeks later, they’re preparing to face the Denver Broncos with a chance to claim their third-consecutive AFC West title with a win.

“Whenever LT opens his mouth, it always gets our attention,” linebacker Stephen Cooper said. “He doesn’t really open up his mouth too much. He lets his play speak for himself. When LT speaks, we have to listen because he’s a leader of our team. He came in at the end of that game and he said ‘Guys we’re going to turn it around. We’re not going to give up.’ That’s what we’re doing.”

That attitude has the Chargers on a three-game win streak as Denver comes to town. Tomlinson said the last three weeks haven’t taught him anything new about his team, just reaffirmed what he already knew.

“It’s a really unique team from that standpoint of always believing that they’re still in it no matter how far we’re down or how many games out of first place we may be,” Tomlinson said. “This team to me has a knack for staying focused and really continuing to play football.”

Tomlinson is also proud of the fact that his team appears to be peaking at the right time of the year.

“We had talked about playing our best football at the end of December into January,” LT said. “It seems like we’re doing that.”

Injury update

Linebacker Anthony Waters (hamstring) returned to the practice field for the first time in almost a month, while defensive tackle Jamal Williams (foot) and linebacker Brandon Siler (foot) didn’t work Wednesday. Defensive end Igor Olshansky (illness) also missed practice.

Wide receiver Malcom Floyd, who suffered a collapsed lung two weeks ago in Kansas City, was limited. Floyd has spent a lot of time in a hyperbolic chamber the last week and a half and says he’s feeling fine. His status for Sunday has yet to be determined.

For Denver, cornerback Champ Bailey practiced for the first time since tearing his groin prior to Week 7. Bailey played last week against Buffalo and is expected to be available Sunday. The Broncos’ injury report included 16 players but only two – tackle Ryan Clady and tight end Daniel Graham – missed all of practice.

Even .500

If the Chargers are able to pull out a victory Sunday, they’ll become the first team since th 1985 Browns to win division title with an 8-8 record.

The Bolts are also aiming to become the first team in NFL history to make the playoffs after starting 4-8.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    How about first 8-8 team to win the Super Bowl? :tup:

3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    They're the only team in history to make the playoffs after starting 0-4, why not go for this one as well? :abq2:

4. ChargersBKK

ChargersBKK BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Couldn't agree more.

5. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Lets win the next game before we start counting our chickens....I see a win as much as everyone else but it starts with our next win.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    EF Hutton don't have **** on LT:abq2:

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Damn, old EF must be around 160 these days.:bolt::lol::icon_shrug:

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I do not think that is true any longer.

Ahhh it still stands. In '05 the Bills almost made it to the playoffs after starting 0-4. Thats what was tickling the back of my brain...

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    The Rams almost made it after starting 0-5 a few years ago but they barely missed as well.

The 92 Chargers record still stands.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That's my take, too. :tup:

I'd just like to know why it seems that it takes true adversity & having their backs against the wall before these guys take the situation seriously. Maybe I'm wrong ... but I don't think so.