1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts hope late start means quick one

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Chargers left Friday afternoon to travel to Pittsburgh, which is located in a time zone that hasn’t been kind to Bolts of late. This season, the Chargers are 0-2 on the East Coast, having dropped decisions at Buffalo and Miami.

“It can be tough on your body,” safety Clinton Hart said. “They’re long trips. We leave early to try to get adjusted, but two days is a short amount of time. But we need a win this week and we’re going to do everything we can to find a way to get it done.”

One factor that may help the Bolts a bit is the fact that Sunday’s kickoff is scheduled for 4:15 p.m. on the East Coast. Generally when the Chargers play in the Eastern time zone, they kickoff at 1 p.m.. That’s 10 a.m. on the West Coast, which can be difficult on their bodies.

“We won’t feel like we are waking up at 4:30-5 a.m. had we played a 1 p.m. game,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “From a mental mind set, that certainly makes the approach more normal.”

The Chargers like the fact that they’re playing later in the day, but they won’t use it as a crutch.

“We’re not playing against the field or the time or anything like that,” tight end Antonio Gates said. “We’re playing against the Pittsburgh Steelers. We have to beat the Steelers.”

At 4-5, the Chargers have an opportunity to get back to .500 on the season and keep pace in a tight AFC West race, one in which they’re still very much alive.

“It’s a big week for us, just like every week is big,” linebacker Stephen Cooper said. “Pittsburgh is a tough place to play but we’ve got to do whatever we can to bring home a win.”

Pressure cooker

The Chargers have just one sack in their last 13 quarters and hope to get their pass rush back on track Sunday. The Steelers have allowed 31 sacks on the season, the third-highest total in the league.

“We’ve got to win some one-on-one matchups and create some pressure,” linebacker Jyles Tucker said. “We haven’t done a good enough job of that this season. It’s time for that to change.”

As a team, the Bolts have 17 sacks this season.

Career best

Wide receiver Vincent Jackson will likely set a new career high in receiving yards this week. Jackson enters Sunday’s game with 621 yards on the season, just two shy of his career high of 623 he set last season.

Jackson has 152 more receiving yards than any other Bolt this season and is averaging 17.7 yards per catch.

Feeling good

Wide receiver Chris Chambers has been active the last two weeks but hasn’t quite felt like himself. After two full days of practice Thursday and Friday, Chambers believes he’s in better shape than he’s been in about a month and is excited for Sunday.

“I feel great,” Chambers said. “I feel like I had a good week of practice and I’m ready to go.”

Chambers was active last week but didn’t record a reception. It was just the second time since October of 2002 that Chambers was active but held without a catch.

Gordon, Davis out

Cornerback Cletis Gordon (knee) and wide receiver Buster Davis (groin) didn’t practice Friday and will not play Sunday in Pittsburgh. Linebacker Marques Harris (hamstring) and safety Steve Gregory (neck) were limited in Friday’s practice and are both listed as questionable.

The Steelers will play without three starters and a key reserve Sunday. Tight end Heath Miller, offensive tackle Marvell Smith and cornerbacks Deshea Townsend and Bryant McFadden are out. Linebacker LaMarr Woodley missed last week’s game against Indianapolis but is probable.

Chargers.com

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I'd like to see Chambers fill the Buster Davis role... running the quick underneath stuff this week.

I'd also like for Clinton Hart to shut the fu/ck up about the east coast time change bullsh/t. I'm sick of hearing these guys set up the excuse machine. Just say: "(the time change) doesn't matter. We need a win and we're going to get one"

I don't like the way this is shaping up.:no:

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Man, Buster's gotta get on the field!!

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    To fugging true,

And stop with the celebrating,

you MoFos' are 4-5

Likely to miss the playoffs and generally suck as a team

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

5. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    I was watching ESPN earlier in the week and they said it isn't just the Chargers who have problems with the time zone difference. ALL western teams do.

So, thinking about that, why don't they go on Wednesday to better acclimate to the weather and time?

6. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Buster is a wuss.....needs to be traded:yes: