1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bolts: In need of change, or a defensive identity?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Chargerfn909, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    This is my first blog that I am actually sharing with everyone and I wanted some feedback. Feel free to be brutally honest! Thanks and enjoy!

Well can you smell it? The smell of fresh cut grass and the jasmines blooming…Oh and the sweet smell of FOOTBALL! As we inch our way closer to the 2010 NFL Draft a lot of things are changing for the San Diego Chargers... Or are they?

The 2010 Draft is said to be the deepest draft in 15 years! With the tides changing in San Diego, I do not think this could be a better time for a healthy, deep draft. There has been a lot of speculation about the Chargers targeting a Running Back (RB) in the first two rounds, but is this REALLY necessary? In a pass-first offense I firmly believe whichever young, fresh legged RB AJ Smith, Chargers General Manager, decides to pick up will be a big upgrade from the running game the Bolts had in 2009.

Evaluating the Chargers needs and wants this season is quite a bit more difficult than in the last few years. Some will say a RB is our first need, others will say defensive line, Inside Linebacker (ILB), or perhaps a ‘sledge hammer’ Safety. With it being unclear on which way Ron Rivera, Chargers Defensive Coordinator is going to swing the D, I think your best bet is going to be; sit back, grab a cold one and see how the draft plays out. In turn this will help our coaching staff determine which direction they would like to take our defense.

When talking defense, I think it’s fair to say there is a lack of identity. With the departure of Jamal Williams the Bolts have quite the void to fill, literally. I think the Chargers could very well switch to a 4-3 or 3-4, 4-3 Hybrid. Considering the background of Rivera and the personnel on the D it would make sense. It looks like Rivera has struggled with the 3-4, it’s not clear whether the front office of the Chargers are insisting that Ron continues to run the 3-4, or he is just trying to pull it off. Either way I think the Bolts have got to find an identity and GO with it. Where will they find this identity you ask? The 2010 Draft!

The Chargers have got to draft a few things: 1) Beef 2) Attitude 3)Pure FOOTBALL players. These 3, simple draft guidelines will ensure an immediate change for the best. Here is a list of 5 prospects that I think could very well end up a Bolt and be very solid contributors:

Terrence Cody- This man brings the beef, and I mean BEEF. Weighing in at 348 pounds on a light day, Cody would anchor the interior line, demand double teams and with time, be able to push the pocket on passing plays. Terrence is the top true 3-4 Nose Tackle in the draft.

Brian Price- I will break the “taboo” of Brian being strictly a 4-3 down linemen. This kid one of the most disruptive defensive linemen and is flat out quick off the ball. With some solid coaching, I am a firm believer Brian Price could become one of the leagues more dominant 3-4 Defensive End’s.

Sean Weatherspoon- The more you watch this kid, the more you love him. Sean absolutely loves football and it shows. He is one of the more instinctive ILB’s I have seen in quite a while. He can do it all and would bring a magnificent demeanor to our huddle.

Ben Tate- This guy is the complete package. Standing at 5’11’’ 220 Tate can do it ALL. Run between the tackles, bounce it outside, catch the ball, pass block, you name it this kid can do it all and with conviction.

Jared Odrick- He may not be around at 28, but if he is you have to think AJ is going to take a good long look at this kid. Towering at 6’5’’ and 305 lbs (with plenty of room to bulk) Jared is a disruptive force. With fast, violent hands and a non stop motor Jared could really boost our pass rush as well as help our stud Outside Linebacker’s (OLB) get to the Quarterbacks. He would need some coaching and focus to really anchor his run support, but there is not a doubt in my mind that he’s not capable.

Some other names to look for in rounds 2 and 3 would be: Tyson Alualu, Torrell Troup, Toby Gerhart, Brandon Deaderick, Cam Thomas, Devin McCourty, Jahvid Best, Brandon Spikes, Roger Saffold, and Sean Lee just to name a few.

Here we are 3 weeks and counting to the NFL Draft. As fans all we can hope is for is AJ to draft the best football player available. The more we look into this, the more I think we all realize the focus needs to be anchoring down that D and getting a serviceable RB.

There isn’t so much a need for change as there is for a true identity. If this can be reached through the 2010 draft and off season, look for our beloved Bolts to make a strong push for that ring we all want so bad!t so bad!

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    I am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to the draft, but well done man!

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    I only got two things to say.

1. Brian Price is a damn stud, but his true position is 4-3 DT, and much like Glenn Dorsey in KC we'd be foolish to fight it.

2. If we draft Odrick that is a CLEAR SIGN that we are going to try to be a hybrid defense.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nice work, 909. It is going to be interesting to see what we do with the defense. I think for now that we stay with a base 3-4, but it's pretty obvious that RR likes guys that can move around on the line. He had to rotate a lot of guys by necessity last year & I think feels that it worked pretty well. With this in mind, a lot of guys that you might not think of as fitting into a traditional 3-4 come into play.

Odrick definitely fits the mold of an AJ pick for DE. His size is almost perfect for what AJ likes. I'm a little concerned about how he holds up against the run. Right now his skill set seems more weighted to pass rushing. That isn't a bad thing, just something to be coached up on.

Price is an intriguing guy. If we were to draft him, we get a baller but it will likely also indicate that we are moving to more 4-3 schemes.

For me, the big kicker that will indicate where we're ultimately heading with this defense is what we do at the linebacker positions. Even if we take a guy like Cody doesn't mean that we have to stick with the 3-4. Look at the Vikes with the Williams boys. Linebacker & pass rushing DE's is where we don't fit into the 4-3 right now.