1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts just miss on final play

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Chargers safety Eric Weddle felt like he was so close.

“I thought it hit my finger tips,” Weddle said. “Just that much more, the ball gets through and we win.”

Weddle was pretty hard on himself Sunday after he narrowly missed tipping the ball away from Panthers tight end Dante Rosario on the game-winning touchdown in Sunday’s Chargers opener.

With two seconds left in the game, Carolina quarterback Jake Delhomme rolled out, pump faked and fired into the end zone. The ball sailed past a pair of Chargers and into Rosario’s waiting hands. While Weddle was disappointed, one of his teammates felt the ball should have never gotten to the second-year safety.

“I put that on me,” linebacker Matt Wilhelm said. “I read it and was there. I just have to make the play and next time I will.”

According to safety Clinton Hart, the Chargers were in “quarters” coverage and Weddle’s ability to get to the spot should be commended. Hart encouraged Weddle after the game and even tried a light-hearted barb to get his secondary mate to smile.

“I’m going to get him on some calf raises so he can jump a little higher,” Hart said. “Eric put himself in a good position to even be that close to him. It’s tough.”

Weddle led the Chargers with 11 tackles Sunday in his first NFL start.

Feeling good

Just after the conclusion of Sunday’s game, linebacker Shawne Merriman was feeling good, but he knew the next few days would tell the full story.

“My adrenaline is still going right now so I don’t feel anything,” Merriman said.

Merriman spoke of a little discomfort Sunday due to the brace he’s wearing on his left knee but felt optimistic about his play. He was credited with a tackle for loss and two quarterback hits Sunday.

The three-time Pro Bowl linebacker doesn’t expect to do much different this week after his most rigorous contact in several months

“I’ll go back and assess it,” Merriman said. “I do so much to take care of my body anyway. Right now I’m getting ready for Game Two.”

Fine line

The Chargers had two new faces in the starting offensive line, and both left tackle L.J. Shelton and Jeremy Newberry were praised by their quarterback for their work.

“I thought L.J. did a heck of a job on (Julius) Peppers,” Philip Rivers said. “You’re talking about one of the guys that’s considered one of the best pass rushers in the league. I felt him back there a few times but not any more than in any other game.”

Peppers was credited with just one assist on the day. He hit Rivers once, but it was on an inside stunt where he had a free run at the quarterback.

The Chargers rushed for 105 yards as a team and Rivers was sacked only once despite the fact that Carolina brought a lot of pressure. Newberry makes the protection calls for the Chargers offensive line, which went smoothly.

“Newberry was outstanding on the calls, the communication, the snaps,” Rivers said. “There was no problem there.”

Special play

Carolina’s average starting field position was their own 26 yard line, thanks to a strong day from the Bolts’ special teams. Punter Mike Scifres averaged 47.6 yards on five punts and placed two kicks inside Carolina’s 20.

Finish strong

Wide receiver Vincent Jackson spent the first three quarters blocking for LaDainian Tomlinson and helping others get open, but when it counted most he came through.

Jackson caught three passes for 47 yards on the day. His first two catches, a 25-yarder and 17-yard grab respectively, came on the Bolts’ fourth-quarter touchdown drive in which they trimmed Carolina’s lead to 19-17. He then scored the go-ahead touchdown on a five-yard grab with 2:32 remaining.

Keeping clean

Penalties are not uncommon early in the year, but the Chargers were flagged just twice Sunday for 12 yards. Both infractions came in the third quarter.

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Aug 14, 2008
    Yeah. He shouldn't have had free run since we picked up that same stunt a few plays earlier. Good work though. Shelton kept on trucking along but it was the run blocking where #70 literally stopped LT once and din't help him any other time.