1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Bolts Look to Replace Florence via the Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Thumper, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By Jaime Cattano
    SDBoltReport.com

With the swell of talent at the NFL Combine, the Chargers pressed the view in search of a cornerback. With the loss of Drayton Florence, the Bolts’ secondary has a tear that needs mending. One prospect’s amazing speed and clever body positioning were on display in Indy, where the Bolts pulled him aside for a private meeting.

The Chargers drew Zack Bowman of Nebraska aside for some one-on-one time at the Combine. The Bolts departed with confidence in this 6-foot-1, 196-pound prospect's talent and potential.

Bowman ended his senior year with 29 tackles, one interception and six pass break-ups. He had a successful season despite only starting four games, but it was the rocky path leading up to the season that's in question.

In 2005, Bowman concluded a dynamite junior year by recording 14 pass break-ups, two interceptions and 27 tackles. His high hopes of continuing at that stellar pace diminished after he tore his ACL in fall practice before the 2006 season.

Choosing to red-shirt that year, Bowman aimed for a speedy recovery. Back on the field again in March, injury hit him again, this time rupturing his patella tendon in his right knee.

Bowman felt the pressure at the Combine to confirm his fully-recovered status. He opted to let his performance speak for itself. Clocking a 4.38-second 40-yard dash, one of the fastest times at the Combine, was enough to put him back on the map.

The Bolts lost Drayton Florence via free-agency last week to the Jacksonville Jaguars, and now the focus is to replenish the secondary. While starting cornerbacks Antonio Cromartie and Quentin Jammer have secure spots in the lineup, a new nickel back remains a priority.

Bowman is a high-risk player in terms of his injury history, and his comeback only flaunts his dedication, work ethic and promising potential. His status doesn’t hinder a look from the Bolts, a team known to take chances on high-risk players.

Cromartie--the 2007 NFL blue-ribbon holder with 10 interceptions--spent his entire junior year at Florida State sidelined with a knee injury. Instead of heading back to the Seminoles the following year, he entered the NFL draft. The Chargers grabbed this volatile player and haven’t looked back since.

If the Bolts take the same chance with this Husker, their multi-year rebuilding project in the secondary may finally be complete.

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I like Bowman... here's why "and his comeback only flaunts his dedication, work ethic and promising potential. His status doesn’t hinder a look from the Bolts, a team known to take chances on high-risk players."

he's an overachiever... and his combine was more impressive than I thought it would be...

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I doubt that we pick him up. Don't we always seem to pass on the players that we interview extensively at the combine?

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    perhaps, but he "fits" the mold and he's a convertible - can play corner and safety... I didn't figure him for a 4.38 tho.. was thinking 4.5 so I probably have him too low... time to rethink his slot...

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    What precisely did Lombardi mean by "multi-year rebuilding process"? Last I checked the secondary doesn't need rebuilding more then it does tweaking

and as long as Bowman's avaliable in the 4th-5th round I'm fine with it

6. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    on my board (pre-combine) I had/have him in the 6th... don't think that's gonna happen now...:no:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Sounds about right considering his impressive run
    unless everyone saw something in him that just repulsed them he's probably 4th now

8. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I have a few convertibles on my board... I really think they'll grab one considering we have have needs in both positions...

here's my pre-bine board - in order by position...

1st: J.Stewart, RB, 5-10 235 4.48 , Oregon, Chris Williams, OT, 6-6 315 5.07, Vanderbilt - I'm praying hard... Pat Sims, DT/NT, 6-2 310 5.06, Auburn, N.Carolina, Q.Groves, 3-4 OLB, 6-3 250 4.57, Auburn, D.Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, 6-1 182 4.33, TennSt., R.Smith, CB/FS, 6-0 200 4.55, Oklahoma

4th (Comp): J.Zuttah, OT/OG, 6-4 303 4.99, Rutgers, M.Harrison, NT, 6-3 315 5.10, Arkansas, T.DeCloud, FS, 6-1 207, 4.48, CAL, J.Adams, SS, 6-2 210 4.56, Michigan

5th: A.Patrick, RB, 6-1 195 4.45, Oklahoma, C.Boyd, RB, 6-0 213 4.51, So.Carolina, B.Keith, OT, 6-5 343 5.21, N. Iowa, L.Dotson, DT/3-4 DE, 6-4 296 5.36, Arizona, D.Terrell, CB/FS, 6-2 200 4.43, Missouri

6th: P.Hubbard, WR, 6-3 221 4.46, Wisconsin, F.Velasco, C/OG, 6-3 318 5.14, Georgia, B.Johnson, DE, 6-5 280 4.65, Gardner-Webb, K.Dykes, DT/3-4 DE, 6-4 295 5.06, W.Virginia, Z.Bowman, CB/FS, 6-0 200 4.38, Nebraska, J.Silva, SS, 5-11 205 4.80, Boston College

7th: B.Barnes, OG, 6-2 325 5.06, Grand Valley St., C.Clark, OT, 6-5 315 5.20, Texas A&M, J.Geathers, DE/OLB, 6-2 256 4.95, UNLV, G.Chukwu, DT, 6-1 312 5.02, Rice, J.Ikegwuonu, 5-11 194 4.45, Wisc INJURY, E.Wicks, SS, 6-1 205 4.60, W.Virginia

9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321

you're right... he might've actually made the third with his combine... read one of the Risers articles and he got good press...

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Kiper has the Chargers passing on guys like Jenkins, Flowers, and Talib to draft some tool named Justin King.

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    well then you've seen the NFLDraftScout on Molden...
    they have him in the 4th...

02/27/08 - Flying under the radar a bit is Eastern Kentucky's Antwaun Molden. He played physically and showed the ability to turn and run with receivers at the Texas vs. The Nation all-star game practices in El Paso. He then ran better than most expected at the Combine (4.4 40), jumped out of the building with a 37.5-inch vertical, put up 23 bench press reps (more than some offensive linemen) and displayed sweet feet in the three-cone (6.85) direction skills. He could be in a team's sights during the fourth round -- possibly higher. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com

02/26/08 - Eastern Kentucky University senior football player Antwaun Molden was one of 55 defensive backs to participate in the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine this past week in Indianapolis. Scouts and coaches throughout the National Football League use the combine to help prepare for the upcoming NFL Draft. The NFL Scouting Combine uses a wide array of tests to gauge a player's abilities and include the 40-yard dash, bench press, three cone drill, broad jump, vertical leap, 20-yard shuttle, 60-yard shuttle, position specific drills, physical measurements, NFL team interviews, the Wonderlic test, the Cybex test and injury evaluation. Molden led all corner backs in the 225-pound bench press with 23 repetitions. He also ranked among the top-three corner backs in the vertical jump (37.5”), broad jump (10’9”) and 60-yard shuttle (11.33 seconds). A native of Cleveland, Ohio, Molden is regarded as one of Eastern Kentucky’s top professional prospects heading into this spring’s NFL Draft. The corner back led the Colonels with nine pass break-ups in 2007 while finishing fifth on the team with 70 total tackles. Molden started every game as a senior while recording interceptions in wins over Southeast Missouri (Oct. 13) and Tennessee State (Oct. 20). - EKU Sports

02/12/08 - All-Star Game Risers Team: CB Antwaun Molden (Eastern Kentucky): Molden takes a bit of offense being considered second-fiddle to Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in the realm of Ohio Valley Conference cornerback prospects. The prototypically-sized (6'1", 200) Toledo transfer showed off his own skills during his week in El Paso, lining up outside or in the slot and using his physical nature to effectively press and support against the run. And he if he clocks in the 4.4's in the 40 at Indy…his stock could shoot up yet again.

re:Red... late 3rd's about right, maybe early 4... he occupys space... I just don't see Bryant ever being a pass rush or TFL pressence from the interior... Sims can bring that push... Chispa's boy Dre Moore, a real 3-4 NT, has probably passed Bryant... and Rubin is likely to as well... he's moved up considerably...

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I moved this to the draft section, because the article is really draft related.

13. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    This guy is pretty Legit. 37.5 Verticle Jump. He performed very well at the combine with a few high scores. I would love to get him if he is still around. He would be perfect at Nickle!!!

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    AJ won't sniff at Jenkins, he'll go top 15... I doubt Flowers will be selected in the first day... 5'9 ain't gonna work in the NFL... if AJ is looking at King, it's because of his size/speed ratio and his 4th rd grade... he'd be a project... Kipers full of ****... personally, I like Charles Godfrey, another convertible....

Mike Jenkins -
    02/27/08 - None of the top three corners in this draft class disappointed Tuesday. Mike Jenkins (4.38), Leodis McKelvin (4.38), and DRC (4.33) all cemented their first-round status by running and performing in drills as expected.

As part of the next tier of talent at the position, Antoine Cason's and Aqib Talib's sub-4.5 40s numbers were big as some questioned their deep speed. Both players gave up big plays in college and neither will wow scouts with fluid transitions, but they deserve their spots in the top 40 picks due to their size and ball skills. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com

*** I watched all of So.Florida's televised games this year (they were my "pet" team) - Jenkins should be solid... I also liked Trae Williams...

Brandon Flowers -
    03/05/08 - 03/05/08 - Draft Scout Fallers: Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech: As little as two weeks ago, Flowers was the top-ranked cornerback on many teams' boards. Scouts will have to re-evaluate that assessment after a dismal performance from Flowers at the Combine. He measured in smaller than expected at only 5-9 3/4 and 189 pounds, and was much less impressive athletically than projected.

Before the Combine, some forecasted Flowers' all-around test results to rank among the year's elite -- regardless of position. Instead, Flowers produced pedestrian numbers in the 40 (4.58-4.63), vertical jump (30 inches) and bench press (14 reps).

With other top-rated corners performing well, Flowers could fall completely out of the top round if his results aren't significantly improved at Virginia Tech's Pro Day March 20. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com

*** Something about Va.Tech CB's in the last few years - all have been Overrated...

Justin King -
    02/27/08 - On the other side of the stopwatch, cornerback Justin King put up a sizzling 4.31, but teams going back to the film will see a very raw talent who fails to play strong enough to handle pro receivers. He won't go as high in the draft as some might project based on his workout Tuesday. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I'm a HUGE HUGE fan of Brandon Flowers, the guy is a lightning rod of energy.

16. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    oops,...
    but,... but,... can he shut down Calvin Johnson.... :lol:

17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    AJ won't sniff in his direction.

UW star facing burglary charges

Some other interesting stuff on the kid ....

Drew Rosenhaus, pure evil, strikes again
    CollegeFootballNews.com also takes a shot at the former Wisconsin CB:

The kid tore both his ACL and MCL in the workout.

Ikegwuonu's trial delayed until March 24

18. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I guess his workouts won't get in the way of his court dates... :lol:

19. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Apologies if this is a little OT but Found this article.........

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/032708/jag_262067868.shtml

This statto Joyner makes a v interesting point.

Florence said the demotion was a business decision because Cromartie was a first-round pick a year ago, and the Chargers knew Florence would leave in free agency. But Joyner said Florence had better numbers in 2006 than 2007. In 2006, he allowed 7.3 yards per pass thrown at him, and teams completed 46 of 81 against him. Last year, the figure jumped to 10.8 yards per pass, and teams completed 46 of 60 against him.

Joyner said a 7.5 figure is average; a figure above 10 often gets a cornerback benched.

Florence reckons he will start in Jax. Williams is to move to safety. Poor ol Jax. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 2