1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts must make most of golden opportunity

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3491802

Q: Having been a season-ticket holder for 15 years and still a big fan, do you think that this is the year for San Diego to get by New England/Indy for the AFC championship?

Reid in Springfield, Mo.

The two-year window for winning a Super Bowl starts now, and the Chargers will never have a better chance than this season. They have the second-easiest schedule in football and should win at least 13 regular-season games. LaDainian Tomlinson is getting older and pretty soon the wear and tear of being an NFL running back will catch up to him.

In a couple of years, some of the contracts of the team's top young stars will expire, and San Diego won't be able to keep everybody. Right now, the Chargers are loaded, and if the Patriots didn't have the easiest schedule in football, I'd boldly predict that the Chargers are the AFC Super Bowl favorites.

San Diego will start camp with some injury concerns, but the only starter who may not be ready for the regular-season opener is center Nick Hardwick, as they signed Jeremy Newberry as insurance. This could be their year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This two year window stuff from the sports writers is based on the assumption that the team will remain static, that AJ won't uncover more talent and so when LT inevitably tails off and we lose one or two guys to free agency (not a certainty in the current situation) we will look like Denver or Kansas City. Horse Manure. Just exactly what did AJ ad with limited draft this year? Screw these guys.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I don't agree with the 2 year window assessment.

I agree with RC, AJ will find a way to keep that window jammed open, even if we lose guys (and it's inevitable, it happens to every top flight team, as guys wanna go get paid), AJ will continue to find the gems in the draft.

4. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I agree that we will have more than a two year window... but I question how gaping and huge that window will be. I think the next two years provide the most wide open window we will see.

While I agree we can have solid drafts to replace the stars on our team, I question if we will find stars as big as LT. So when he tails off and we get a replacement which is 80% of him, there will still be a window, but it won't be as big.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The next 2 years may be the best opportunity that we have in awhile. Nothing lasts forever in the NFL - well, except the Raiduhs commitment to excrement, perhaps. :yes:

AJ may or may not mine more of the same quality of talent. Yeah, I know it sounds blasphemous to some, but AJ won't have his main man Buddy Nix around in the future. We'll get to see how that affects our choices. Maybe he'll continue to find gems, maybe not.

But this year, I really believe, is ours for the taking. :bolt:

6. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    hey guys

Everyone seems to agree that AJ is the key guy.
    Does anyone know his situation?
    ie
    Does he make enough money?
    Does he like working for the Spanos'?
    Will he remain a Charger forever?

:icon_huh:

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I agree with all of you that with AJ, we will have more than 2 years to get this done (win the Super Bowl) but let's do it NOW!. Let's Get this Done Once and For All!!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    He just signed a 5-year extension in 2007.

So I think it's safe to assume he's happy in San Diego.

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    where else except maybe hawaii can you wear hawaiian shirts every day and it not seem weird :lol:

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    it happens with the Colts, the Pats, the Steelers, the Bears (somewhat), the Seahawks, the Packers, the Giants/Redskins/Cowboys. No one ever really talks about them falling out of contention, no one talks about a 'window' with them. just hte chargers. Almost makes me want to go 'embrace the hate' on them.

Guess they're just hoping we go back to sucking so ESPN can get their rocks off talking about the Broncos/Raiders.

• Like Like x 1
  11. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    This is our year if your not on it get on the bandwagon now im riding this train to tampa

12. chargerslondon2008

chargerslondon2008 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Sad, but true.

This could be the most talented Chargers roster of all time. Cheerish the next two years. LT won't be able to play at an elite level forever and we should lose some talented players to FA. Plus we are picking at the bottom of the draft, while the Chiefs, Raiders and Broncos are picking at the top of the draft. If they draft well the gap between the Chargers and the rest of the West should get smaller.

You don't just replace an LT. LT is a once in a life time player.

Can the Chargers win without LT in the future? Yes, especially if Philip Rivers plays at an elite level.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31

Woaahh pardner, hold on there.

LT is a fantastic player, but he's not the be-all and end-all of this team. Once he goes, the Bolts wont automatically go on a downward spiral. A good D is more likely to win a Championship than a marquee runner.
    LT is arguably the best player in Charger history - but he hasn't won the big one yet. Remember the Bolts only Superbowl appearance came with a chain moving bruiser called Natrone.
    I don't believe that LT's retirement at the end of his contract will signify the end of the Charger good times.

:tup:

14. chargerslondon2008

chargerslondon2008 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I agree the Chargers are more than a one man team, but LT is the straw that stirs the drink.

Perhaps LT would have won the big one if the Chargers didn't have a first year signal caller under center instead of Drew Brees or Cam Cameron didn't stop calling his number against the Pats in 2006 or we didn't get the injury bug last year. There is a fine line between winning and losing in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I just want to say to both Osmekaman and ChargersLondon that its nice to see quality posts by the new guys. way to jump in. hope to get to buy you guys a beer at the tailgater one of these years:icon_toast:

Welcome Aboard the best Chargers forum there is.:bolt: Glad to have you guys aboard.

:abq1:Lash Out:abq2:

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    i don't understand the golden opportunity thought in that column by mister peepers ( john clayton).

What the chargers have is alot, alot of talent now. And they are pretty expierenced. The opportunity is the chargers have at least a two year window to win the whole thing. But you have 31 other teams that want the same thing.

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The last line is the key. Rivers is maturing and you will see the results of that this season. AJ has found pro bowl talent as Free Agents, so I'm not terribly concerned that we will draft away from the early choices. With AJ doing the drafting, it is, quite possibly, an advantage because of the reduced cap hits. We will see Hester and Thomas develop. This team has crazy depth already, except in the O Line, but that is eminently fixable. We've got three drafts before the FA crunch hits and with the CBA out the window, the signing potential moves into our favor.