1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts run defense expects a test

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Through three weeks, the Chargers defense have seen more passes (138) than any other team in the league with each of the Bolts’ opponents attempting at least 40 throws.

But as the Bolts prepare for Sunday’s AFC West matchup in Oakland, the numbers show they’ll likely face a little different offensive philosophy this week.

“They come down hill at you,” Chargers defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said. “They’re very physical. They want to get a hat on a hat and pound you.”

Oakland currently ranks third in the NFL in rushing this season with 361 yards and are averaging 5.1 yards per carry as a team. While starting running back Justin Fargas missed last week’s game in Buffalo and hasn’t practiced this week, rookie Darren McFadden has already gained 252 yards (5.7 per carry) and first-year back Michael Bush has picked up 145 while averaging 4.8 yards per carry.

“They’re obviously running the ball as well as anyone in the National Football League,” Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner said. “They’re using a couple backs and they’re just pounding it and pounding it and pounding it. They’re a big, physical offensive line. We’ve got to get ourselves ready to play a very physical football game.”

In contrast, no quarterback who has started three games this season has fewer attempts than Raiders starter JaMarcus Russell. In a last-second defeat in Buffalo last week, Oakland attempted just three passes in the second half.

“It’s no secret we’ve been conservative,” Raiders Head Coach Lane Kiffin said earlier this week in a conference call with San Diego media. “That has put us in the best position to win. There’s been a number of things in practice through the offseason that we just haven’t been able to do because of the circumstances, two very loud stadiums and our third-strong left tackle.

“We’ve been very cautious, very conservative because I just felt that put us in the best position to win and it did. Two weeks ago we won in Kansas City and this week with six minutes left we were up by two scores. It gave us a chance to win and we didn’t finish it off this week.”

The Chargers enter Sunday’s game ranked 18th in the NFL against the run. While they gave up 142 and 145 yards on the ground in their first two games, the Bolts allowed just 41 last week in their win over the Jets.

“Since I’ve been here we’ve taken a lot of pride in stopping the run,” said linebacker Tim Dobbins, who has seen his role increase in recent weeks. “We did a lot better job last week and hopefully we can build on that.”

Oakland’s run game has involved a little trickery. While at Arkansas, McFadden gained a lot of attention for his use of the “Wild Hog” offense where he took a direct snap and either ran the ball, handed off to another back or rolled out and passed.

Last week, the Dolphins used the same formation to score five touchdowns with Ronnie Brown running the show, and the Raiders have shown the gadget

“I’m pretty sure Miami caught New England by surprise,” Cottrell said. “We’re going to be ready. Oakland has shown it because of what Darren McFadden did at Arkansas. He has that ability. In this league, quarterbacks don’t get a lot of designed runs. It’s usually a scramble situation. We’ve just got to play our assignments and tackle well throughout the game and we’ll be alright.”

Chargers.com

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Fat Teddy better have this D prepared. If he doesn't, I'm gonna **** in his corn flakes. :yes: :icon_twisted:

3. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    He better or I'm going to stick an apple in his mouth and roast him on a spit over an open fire.

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The D will be something to watch this weekend, that's for sure but the Raider passing game is awful and that will be where we see whether or not this is the team that can be picked to shreds by underneath passes and screens.

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Sunday we find out about Jamal, one way or the other.

6. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    When Philip's air attack gets on the board early, the Oakland
    ground attack won't have the time they needed.
    versus Oakland all three teams have to be concentrated for the win. It's the 10th win in the streak - BOLTS go and get it !

7. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    their WRs are pretty crappy but they have a decent TE.

agree about Jamal, hope they spell him often

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Y'all need to chill. We limped into the start of this season, I believe we have done fine.

Dudes are getting back and soon we'll be where y'all thought we would be. Give the doom and gloom a rest.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I think he prefers Cream a' Wheat. That will make a truly steaming pile.