1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts shock the world; Studs and Duds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Sep 14, 2014.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Studs
    Nick Novak - another outstanding game, was nails and kicked well to keep Harvin from returning
    Antonio Gates - who the hell gave him the fountain of youth and where do I get it?
    Philip Rivers - exquisite game top to bottom, well done.
    Dwight Freeney & Melvin Ingram - lots of pressure including sacks
    Frank Reich - as bad as the game was on Monday he was exquisite
    Pagano throughout - called a game that was a big improvement
    Chargers fans - Loud even if it was a 50/50 split. 12th man my ***, let's show you how it's done.

Middle Ground
    Jason Verrett - fairly solid but I'm starting to see rookie mistakes
    Danny Woodhead/Donald Brown - had a few good moments but couldn't establish run game

Duds
    Shareece Wright - one or so good plays doesn't make up for being routinely burnt
    Jerry Attaouch - being raw; no containment on a Harvin screen.
    Ryan Mathews - more fumbles, he can't do this again
    Pagano in a no huddle situation - had no idea what was going on
    Charger fans on third down offense - if I have to hear one more freakin idiot cheering and yelling when the Chargers are on offense or starting a chant I might have to beat someone down

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Studs -
    Gates - And so its not over yet. The old man holding off his protégé backup.
    Rivers - Muuuuch better than last week. Calmer and more composed. More accurate.
    Novak - I thought he missed that 2nd one.
    Freeney - Still has it. That spin move is a devastating.
    Reich - Way to hide your intentions. #learningmoment.

Duds
    Butler/Te'o - Whoever was supposed to cover the RB, failed at their job today in a big way.
    Mathews - Could have easily cost us this game, EASILY if we'd had lost those fumbles.
    Wright - If you can't cover guys who we cut off our practice squad, you can't play in the NFL. He should lose his job to Verrett very very soon.

Serioulsly though, we might be mourning just like last week if we'd lost those Mathews' fumbles. Now if he's gone for a while he's going to be rusty when he gets back.

3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I didn't see Verrett's "mistake." Care to elaborate?

As for Wright, he's everyone's favorite whipping boy, but Seattle wide receivers had a grand total 10 catches for 118 yards and no TDs.

If the secondary does that every week, the Chargers will not lose another game all year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Gotta say I'm not happy that Donald Brown will be leading this rushing attack the next few weeks. He couldn't avoid contact if his life depended on it. He was terrible on that final drive.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    The legion of "whom"

6. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Rivers....Gates....Offensive Line...Excellent Job

Defense as a unit! "A" ...now we can pick on certain situation, but overall we held a tight lead for over half of the football game!

Plus...What a great job by the offense keeping the Seahawks on defense so long...the heat really did get to them but I'm not sure it was as much of a factor as the Seahawk 12th man forum boards make it out to be.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Studs:
    Rivers, bleeding, not worried about famous defenders, RUNNING FOR BIG YARDS WHEN HE HAD TO, accurate passes that never look like high octane darts but they go where they are supposed to.

Coaching staff. They stuck to what everyone including the opponent knew we had to do. Run, dink and dunk, convert 3rd downs, keep the offense off the field.

Gates. A lot of people in here and all over the country where ready to give up on this machine. He proved to all of us he can still fight hard and make us say "WOW what a big catch".

Defense: In general I think we may have a D that will make a lot of teams change what they do. We are seeing pressure on the QB and penetration. This has simply been missing for quite a while. The question was "can they fight 100% all the way to the end of the 4th?" They did pretty damn good IMO.

Duds:
    Mathews. But.....I almost want to give him a pass on being a dud today. For many arguable reasons that I wont get into.

The refs. Including the ones that are supposed to survey scoring plays at the NFL "HUB" and give all of us football fans comfort that they aren't going to allow their product to be crap. pretty sure after today, any scoring play where the guy runs anywhere down the sideline will be reviewed with more care thanks to us.

Very proud of this team today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Studs - Chargers & Fans, way to represent in OUR HOUSE :) We just beat a very, very good team in some seriously tough conditions (it wasn't just hot, it was ******* hotter than hell out there). No team will be perfect, there are some lessons to take away from this game and improve upon. After weeks 1 and 2, I feel much better about our ability to do that.

Duds - Zebras. **** you assholes, try as you might we still pulled out a win.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Can't see why the refs let that one go
    It was so obvious that he stepped out of bounds
    I know they won the SB but that was last year

10. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Studs

Antonio Gates – Monster game - Father Time may be undefeated, but like Stallone in the 1st “Rocky” movie, Gatesy is going to take him the distance!

GM Tom Telesco – In addition to his 2 years of drafting prowess, acquiring Donald Brown may prove to be pivotal to this team maintaining a consistent power running game, and his lack of fumbles may make him into our 4th Quarter closer even if Ryan Mathews returns healthy.

Melvin Ingram – Although he was listed as “questionable” as late as yesterday, a strip sack was among his many contributions.

Mike McCoy – a prepared, motivated & confident team took the field today after that Monday night disappointment, one that showed no fear of the defending SB champions and no doubt that we would beat them.

Philip Rivers – Once again looking like the elite quarterback we all know & love, he lit up the famed “LOB” defense for nearly 300 passing yards 3 touchdown passes with no interceptions, and some timely runs as well.

Special Teams - Contained a speedy & dangerous kick returner for the second straight game, (Arizona’s Ted Ginn Jr. had a 71 yard punt return for a TD today) and our kicking game was near perfect again.

John Pagano – Defense was stellar again, containing the potent running attack posed by both Marshawn Lynch & Russell Wilson, forcing the latter to try to beat us with his arm – he couldnt, and he was under constant pressure all game.

Eddie Royal – Tied with Gates for a team high of 7 receptions, several for 1st downs but his biggest contribution was recovering Mathews’ 2nd fumble in the 4th Quarter.

Frank Reich – As bad as the offense looked last week, they were good & efficient this one. 10 of 17 on 3rd down, keeping our offense out there and chewing up more than twice the time of possession than Seattle had, with more than 100 rushing yards. Keep it up next week in your return to Buffalo!

Dwight Freeney - Like Gates, he seems to have found the fountain of youth and chimed in with 1 of the team’s 2 sacks.

O-line – Despite a patchwork line with several substitutions, Philip was only sacked once, and was given plenty of time to takes some deep shots.

Duds

Referees – Many questionable calls (and non-calls) but the worst of all was the blown touchdown call when Percy Harvin clearly stepped out of bounds.

Ryan Mathews – It sucks that he got hurt, we couldve really used him when we were trying to run out the clock but in reality, it’s his own fault - He was hurt trying to recover his 2nd fumble of the game, and had the Bolts lost either one of them, they probably don’t win this game.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    legion of who.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    The Chargers defense is taking out the opposing team's best weapons. They took Lynch out of his game, thereby forcing Wilson to depend on his arm. Last week, Fitzgerald was effectively covered and it vexed the AZ offense for the most part.

13. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    Chargers played a great game to get the W, Pointy, but I can't agree that taking
    "Lynch out of his game" was a key: He averaged 6 yards a carry, and his short receptions averaged
    6.5 and netted a TD...no, I think it was simply limiting the 'hawks to under 18 minutes with the ball...

14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Still, Lynch was held to 63 total yds, both receiving and rushing. If you can hold him to that type of yardage, your defense has neutralized their biggest weapon. IMHO

15. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Richard Sherman is salty..

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I'll also add - short week against the super bowl champ that had 1.5 weeks to prepare. That's stunning.
    Verrett got beat on a few comeback routes, things like that. Might be unfair but at the same time that's a more rookie game. Wright might be a whipping boy but at the same time he deserves it when he gets smoked at least twice a game, he makes some nice plays but he needs to play better all around.
    I didn't mention Special teams as another fantastic group in need of praise, nor that the refs were giving us crap calls. Admittedly it was very tough in view 32 to see if there were penalties or not but we had a ton called on us at least initially.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    [​IMG]

18. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Studs:
    • Rivers - Vintage Rivers
    • Gates - Vintage Gates
    • Woodhead - Missed you in game 1.
    • Entire O-line - Solid against best NFL D.
    • Allen - went 3 for 3 against Sherman
    • Ingram - Constant Pressure
    • Freeney - Big sack taking Seattle out of FG range
    • Verrett - Solid
    • Conner - Nice Special Teams play
    Duds
    • Stevie Williams - I can't turn my head around
    • Butler - I can't cover RB's out of the backfield

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    what a great improvement from last week.

Those penalties inside the red zone have to stop, that's my duds.

20. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    DUDS:.....
    THAT TOOL REF STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF PERCY HARVIN AS HE RAN OUT-OF-BOUNDS......

F'N LOSER. :mad: :tdown:

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    Glad my TV didn't get destroyed over that BS.....wow.....I was hot.....:ninja:

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,153
    Actually, he emphatically pointed at the spot that Harvin stepped out.

Not sure what happened (or whose responsibility it is) after that...just lucky the screw-up didn't affect the outcome...

23. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
    HHHHmmmmm......somebody needs to explain somethin' then....:unsure:

24. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    It very well could have, much in the way that Ed Hochuli screwed us against Denver in 2008.

There is no explainable way that they could all miss that call, especially after reviewing it in New York! :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. ChargerMike

Ratings:
    +481
  26. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    Ladarius Green once again not apart of the offense :tdown:

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    He had a heck of a block to spring Mathews out of the backfield, though.

All of the studs/duds have pretty much been mention, but I will say this about Wright: he has a rare CB skillset. He is a sure tackler, does not shy away from physicality, and gives it his all every play. However, whenever he plays off his man, he is burnt toast. Just like asking Flowers to play in the slot, asking Wright to do something that does not cater to his skillset is something Pagano needs to address.

28. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +502
    Studs - Rivers, Gates, Reich (if he was playcalling... McCoy might have been v involved), O line pass pro (Dunlap is massive steal literally, credit to Ohrnberger), pass rush (wouldn't Ingram have more tackles/sacks if he had longer arms? just saying). Keenan Allen, loved how he beat Sherman more than once. Verrett is a head hunter and I love him, he is my next jersey purchase.

Duds - Officiating, esp those fools 'in NY, in league office' for missing that Harvin stepped out. For a long time they only penalized the one team. Even though we won we need to formally report this BS, it will cost us a game again some day. Only saw Steve Williams on the field once and it was not pretty. Tourek WTF Williams, tell me why we kept you over Keiser/Law again, jeeez, did he see the field at all?

Hate to say it but those Mathews fumbles were horrible.... let's move onto Brown and Grice and run them straight ahead, 1 cut max, this stretch BS will not work with players who cannot make someone miss i.e. Donald Brown. #24 will not be a Charger in 2015.

Is it Ladarius Green's fault that he is not on the field catching the odd ball?.... if it is where did the hype come from/go to?

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Gates was great in this game and now his display may have improved his trade value in a big way, as in three TD's scored against one of the better defensive units in the league. Step right up league GM's and get him whiles he's hot and before JFrost turns another great performance into a frozen turd.

Ryan Mathews is a bigger loss than some folks realize, he commands respect on the field and from 20 yards out he's money around the edges of the defense.

Wright played a fairly good game all around both through the air and run duty. No CB is going to pitch shutouts in every game and he's the kind of gritty guy that just shows up for work and does his best. I do believe some folks is crediting Wright with S. Williams being nuked down the sideline.

The biggest dude on the field again was Mr. Te'O, isolated again on the left side in front of the goal line and he gave up another sixer while being frozen yet once again.

It was a very good win, this version of the team is what I was expecting in the opener, not the one that showed up.

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah I don't know what that is about. It could be he's just not being schemed in, or that Rivers isn't comfortable throwing him the ball, or that he's just not getting open. I'll have to watch the game again to try and figure it out.

But I suspect it's the former, we came out in a lot of 3 WR sets yesterday.