1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts Target Running Back from AFC Rival

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By Amberly Richardson
    SDBoltReport.com

With Michael Turner signing with the Atlanta Falcons, the Chargers are in the market for a backup running back. A league insider tells Scout.com that San Diego is eying a runner from an AFC rival. Problem is, he hasn’t been released by his current team...yet.

The Chargers may invade Raider Nation and make a play for LaMont Jordan. A league source told Scout.com’s Adam Caplan that, if the Oakland Raiders release their No. 2 back, the Chargers could extract the most interest.

Jordan is similar to the man he would replace, Michael Turner. Turner and Jordan are both big, powerful backs who were drafted to play behind superstars.

In fact, Jordan’s finest attributes are found through comparisons to Turner.

“Jordan is a fiery competitor who hates to lose,” Raiders expert Denis Savage said. “He runs well between the tackles and has a bruising style that can pick up the tough yards. He has some Michael Turner in him, but lacks the breakaway speed. He can be great for a winning club.”

After earning a spot in the AFC Championship Game, the Chargers qualify as exactly that. However, Jordan’s negatives could deter the image-conscious Chargers.

“Jordan has an attitude and it can rub people the wrong way,” Savage said. “When things go bad, his running suffers in the decision-making process.”

Philip Rivers’ mouth ran more toward the end of last season, so the Chargers are used to the extra publicity. The Raiders, on the other hand, are sick of it.

“At this stage, with the Raiders trying to establish a new identity--getting rid of a lot of the bad-boy persona--so Jordan does not fit the mold,” Savage said. “He could be a valuable back who spells LaDainian Tomlinson and shares part of the load, and has underrated hands out of the backfield.”

The Raiders struggled to find a way to use Jordan effectively. Norv Turner figured it out when he the head coach of the Raiders. Jordan’s best season came in 2005 with Turner at the helm, when he tallied 1,588 yards from scrimmage and 11 total TDs.

Two seasons later, Lane Kiffin gave up on Jordan.

”The Raiders didn’t use Jordan well and it showed in his play,” Savage said. “He got down on the offensive line and made poor decisions in his cutbacks. He has the talent but needs to be in the right scheme and the zone blocking used by the Raiders this past season seemed to be ill-fitted to his running style.”

Jordan still has two years left on his contract with $9.7 million due in base salary. But Justin Fargas is re-signed and Dominic Rhodes is on board for at least another year, which leaves Jordan vocally disconcerted.

When Jordan hits the open market, expect the Chargers to show immediate interest. Look for Jordan to show mutual interest, as San Diego would give him the two things he desperately desires: 1) the chance to win a ring; and 2) the opportunity to play the Raiders twice a year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The big ??? is if the Raiders cut him.

If they do though I would kick his tires and take a test drive and see what he has to offer the Chargers.

Just my opinion is that the positives out weigh the negatives in this situation.

Even though I hate getting ex Turds but in this instance I would make an exception.

Just seeing both LT and Lamont Jordan in the backfield would be very scary for opposing defenses.

3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If the Turds pick McFadden, Jordan could well become expendable. He's worth a look - could answer the loss of Turner w/o burning a draft pick. I'm concerned about the attitude, but a change of scenery could work wonders. I mean, who wouldn't have an attitude in Oakland? :icon_shrug: :lol:

4. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    This sounds great to me. And the fact that Norv got him to produce, and already has a relationship with him is a great sign. This could be a great fit for us. Really smart move. Hope this happens.

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    The only thing I don't like are the hints about his character issues. If I remember correctly Jordan effectively buried us against the Jets a few years back, and I have seen enough from him to know that he can be successful in this league. And I can't imagine anybody on the Raiders being very excited about the game of football right now.

Long as the guy plays it cool I would be open to his acquisition. But if he's got the slightest shred of ****** attitude, fuq him.

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Jordan KILLED us when he was with the Jets. I would love to get him...

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If Raiders cut him... DO IT!!!

I wouldn't worry about the attitude. That's just being a Raider for you (especially at this time.) I'm sure he's sick of being a door mat.
    Now he'll have a ligitmate shot at playing in the Super Bowl!!

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    No complaints, and the more the draft board is shaping up, McFadden will probably be avaliable at #4 for the Raiders, especially because Miami/STL/Atlanta none of those guys are going to grab McFadden.

I have some questions about Jordan's fumbling in the past but he is a solid running back and adding him wouldn't hurt. I also imagine he'd like to play on a good team with good people around as opposed to playing for San Quentin up there

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I just don't see it happening.

I bet they draft a big swinging door O-lineman from Tuscaloosa State

:lol:

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    I never really heard about his attitude problems when he was with the Jets. :icon_shrug:

If he is pissed off at the Raiders and wants to come here, sure why not give him a look. He prospered in a backup roll behind C. Martin for a number of years.

Not much chance he will get a sniff as a starter on another team at his age.

11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    That's a good point. I think I may have been a little too superlative in expressing myself there. I don't mind if the guy is a little down considering where he's been stuck the last few years. I just don't want us making any un-AJ-exceptions for the guy just because he's a division rival and has torched us in the past.

12. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Good point. Look at Randy Moss, it appears that he has actually turned into a team player and not a me player. Maybe Jordan would follow suit.

13. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I actually thought about posing this as a question awhile back..."what do you guys think about the Bolts looking at Jordan?" Now it has come to light. If this guy is truly pissed at the Turds..then he'll play like a runaway train for anyone in their division, just to spite them. He's a brutal runner and good for those tough yards. I like him as a change of pace, a clock killer and he can catch the ball.

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Nothing would tickle my irony bone more than beating Da Raiduhs over their heads with one of their cast offs. I wouldn't be too worried about the attitude if he came here. Different locker room. Besides, who haven't the Silver and Black alienated recently. Watching the draft will be more interesting than usual this year, with KC's 11 picks and Kiffin's face to watch as he plays pivot man in the circle jerk.

15. The Admiral

The Admiral BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    LaMont Jordan is a big back that is almost 30 who has played for 7 years in the NFL

Jordan is done

16. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    very untrue the whole reason he wanted to leave was he was complaining about playing time and he didn't want to sit behind martin, but if he knows his role here then fine but his injury probs last year bug me, I would rather take dunn which would be more of a norv back

17. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    We have a more explosive Dunn named Sproles.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    A Norv back?

Norv is the one that told Alice to sign Jordan to the raiders and then jordan went on to have his best season under norv (1600 total yards from scrimmage and 11 TDs)

Also, do you really want 2 RBs under 5'9 180 on the roster?

Im hoping for us to draft a backup RB like Kevin Smith from UCF in the 4th round (comp pick for DD) but would be happy with Jordan

Hes had success in this offense and would provide the power our other RBs lack

19. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    I dont know about that.

I mean just last year, he was leading the league in rushing through the first 4 weeks of the season

Also, hes not like the common 30 year old RB. He wasnt a starter his first 4 years in the league, and was hurt last year, so while hes 29, he doesnt have the carries of say and LT or Shaun Alexander.

I mean look at it this way. LT and Jordan came out of the same draft yet LT has more than 2,800 touches while jordan has less than 1,000

20. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The Raiders would be stupid to pick McFadden, so they might just do it.

They already have Fargas and Bush.

21. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I completely agree...The bolts could probably get at least 2 good years out of Jordan. Also if needed *knock on wood* he would be able to carry the load in a game.

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Not with our first pick I wouldn't. :no:

If it isn't Jordan, we can find a big bruiser in later rounds. That first pick at 27 (if we stay there) needs to be a big, nasty RT, RG, or DL. :yes:

23. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    He would, but I don't see it happening. I agree with Buck. I want a RT/DT that plays with bad intentions.

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    There is only one team who I would puke over getting any player - the Raiders. The HATE runs deep. Fuc them all.

If they have worn Silver and Black - get the fuc off my field.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe one of these guys. They're all scheduled to go in later rounds.

Matt Forte, Tulane http://tulanegreenwave.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/forte_matt00.html
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-forte?id=234

Peyton Hillis, Arkansas http://www.peytonhillis.com/
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/peyton-hillis?id=1980

Owen Schmitt, WV http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1267

Carl Stewart, Auburn http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=17040
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/carl-stewart?id=1377

All of these guys are projected to go in later rounds. Some are listed as FB's, but ran well for their size & have good hands. I'm not knocking Stewart or Mendenhall, but I just can't see using our only high pick on RB. Let's not forget that we have Pinnock, too.