1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Bolts thankful for Williams’ play

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    About the only thing harder than blocking Chargers defensive tackle Jamal Williams is getting the three-time Pro Bowler to talk about himself.

A few days after yet another dominating performance against the Colts in which coaches credited him with seven tackles, including two for loss, Williams didn’t have much to say about his play this season.

“I’m having fun,” Williams said. “I love football and that’s the reason why I play. I work hard because I want to be the best. I don’t worry about anything else.”

Williams missed the team’s entire offseason program and was held out of a good portion of training camp while the 348-pound nose tackle battled to bring his knees backs to full strength. Williams and his coaches agree that it took the 11-year veteran some time to get back in the swing of things, but a couple weeks into the season, Williams was back to playing like his old self.

“Once he got back in terms of the offseason work that he had done and got back into a rhythm of practicing every day, he’s played as well as you could ask him to play,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “The things he’s gone through in terms of getting his health back and considering where he is in his career, it’s phenomenal.”

Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera marvels at Williams’ versatility, specifically his mixture of strength and agility.

“He’s got this body position where he can use his legs and get underneath the guy’s shoulder pads and just lift him. To show you his athletic ability, the first goal-line play (Sunday against Indianapolis), they tried to cut him. He pancaked the kid, jumped over the top and made the tackle. It was a tremendous football play.”

While Williams didn’t have much to say about another strong season, his teammates and coaches did.

“He’s our rock,” linebacker Shaun Phillips said. “He’s been doing it for 11 years and that’s something we look forward to every week. He’s delivered every week. He’s one of the guys that keeps me motivated every week. He gives his all every play. That pushes me to give everything I’ve got.”

Injury update

Defensive end Luis Castillo (groin) practiced again Thursday but was limited.

“I think Luis has been better each day,” Turner said. “The big thing on all these guys is how he reacts to the movement and how he feels the next day. He was sore this morning and we’ll see where he is tomorrow.”

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie (hip) was also limited, while cornerback Cletis Gordon (knee) got through a second-consecutive day of work after missing two weeks.

Fullback Mike Tolbert (shoulder) and defensive end Keith Grennan (fibula) did not practice Thursday.

Happy Thanksgiving

Turner altered the schedule Thursday so his players could get their work in and still be able to spend the day with their families. The Chargers arrived earlier than usual Thursday and concluded practice two hours earlier than normal. Turner canceled post-practice meetings, which the team will have Friday morning instead.

Quick hits

- LaDainian Tomlinson needs just three catches Sunday to reach 500 for his career. Only four other running backs in NFL history have 500 receptions and 10,000 rushing yards.

- Antonio Gates is now just 131 receiving yards away from 5,000 for his career.

- Matt Vasgersian, who was the voice of the Padres for San Diego’s Channel 4 until recently, will call Sunday’s Chargers game for Fox, while San Diego County native J.C. Pearson will serve as the analyst for the broadcast.

- In addition to Michael Turner making his return to San Diego, former Chargers tight end Justin Peelle will face his former club Sunday at Qualcomm Stadium.

- Several Chargers including Marcus McNeill, Charlie Whitehurst, Mike Tolbert and Paul Oliver are Georgia natives.

2. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I LOVE Matty V. This will certainly help me get my Matty V. fix. IF the game is not blacked-out. Then, I will get angry. :icon_evil:

3. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    A GREAT UT article about one of the bright spots on the team this year, Mr. Jamal Williams:

Williams having fun making Chargers' opponents miserable

Kevin Acee (Contact)
    Thursday, November 27, 2008

Jamal Williams sprinted to his spot on the field midway through the third quarter Sunday night – flat-out galloped, almost to the rescue.
    He clearly relished the opportunity to do what he does best.

“The only reason I play is because I love this game,” Williams would say later. “When it's not fun, I'll call them up and tell them I'm staying in bed.”
    Thankfully for the Chargers, that has not happened yet.

Williams, the acknowledged cornerstone of this defense, appears to be only getting better.

Over the past six games, and especially the most recent three, he has played at a level unseen during his injury-marred 2007. He toughed out a fine '07, for sure, but he was nowhere near the player he had been in previous seasons.

He's back. This year, if he's not voted to his fourth straight all-star game this year, a crime has been committed.

“After about the third game, I thought he played himself right back into shape,” defensive coordinator Ron Rivera said. “I thought he started to dominate and played to his ability. He's exceeded it, too. He's really having a great season.”

Not even Williams would say he was his old self three games in. An offseason of inactivity (because of two offseason knee surgeries and other ailments) left him “rusty,” in his words. He was beginning to shake off the rust by that time, though. And since a standout performance in the Chargers' rout of New England on Oct. 12, Williams has been as stout as ever.

While he was going against a rookie center and rookie guard this past Sunday, his dominant performance (10 total tackles, a sack, a tackle for loss and two tackles at the line of scrimmage) was the latest in a string of games in which he has mostly dictated the line of scrimmage.

The Chargers have over the past six games allowed an average of 96 yards rushing, 17 yards fewer than in their first five games. Opponents have run for fewer than 100 yards in three of the past four games. The Chargers have not allowed a rushing touchdown in three games.

All that is not coincidence.

The occasion described above to which Williams ran so jubilantly was an attempt at a goal line stand against Indianapolis, and Williams almost single-handedly kept the Colts out of the end zone – until Peyton Manning and his coaches wised up and threw the ball, Manning making a fantastic decision to throw on his heels to Dominic Rhodes in the end zone.

On first down from the 1, Colts center Jamey Richard tried to cut Williams immediately after snapping the ball. Williams, at about 360 pounds, simply leapfrogged Richard, took one more frog-like hop and brought down Rhodes a yard deep in the backfield. (Is there a video of this somewhere?)

On second down from the 2, Rhodes took a forward handoff from Manning. Williams stood Richard up and drove him back, and with his left hand on the center reached out with his right arm and took Rhodes down for no gain.

On third down, Rhodes went up the middle. This time double-teamed, Williams still pushed the line to Rhodes and was in the pile that stopped him a yard from the goal line.

On fourth down, Manning hit Rhodes for the touchdown.

Ah, if only Williams had dropped into coverage.

That is a ridiculous thought, of course. But would anyone defy him to do it? To his face?

Among his phenomenal (for a nose tackle) 10 tackles Sunday were three that came 5 or more yards downfield. Now, a linebacker making such a tackle is cause for a yawn. A 360-pound man with a boulder belly barreling in from behind and pancaking a player 6 yards downfield is impressive.

“Him being as big and athletic he is you don't find that many guys down there that can move as well as Jamal,” linebacker Stephen Cooper said. “He's downfield making tackles with linebackers and (defensive backs) and causing havoc all the time.”

And he is doing all this with regularity, in a season in which so many were waiting for those 32-year-old knees that have had all that work done on them to give out.

“The way he can do what he does each and every week,” linebacker Matt Wilhelm said in awe. “At this point, people talk about his knees and that he's lost a step, and he just continues to go out and dominate.”
    Williams, who has two years and big money ($8.9 million) left on a contract extension negotiated in 2005, was asked this week how long he thinks he can play.

“Until it isn't fun any more,” was his response.

Williams is grateful for the day each week Norv Turner gives him to not practice. It allows him to avoid the wear of being on the field, keeping his legs fresh, while still working in the training room on his core.

Yet he acknowledges no physical limitations.

“I can play forever,” he said. “As long as it's fun.”

The way he plays is how ALL of them should be playing. I love him. He is a beast.:bolt: GO JAMAL!

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm glad J Dub is playing his *** off, now if his defensive teammates would we may still get somewhere. :yes:

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Big daddy is awesome.

6. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Jamal is a monster! I love watching him play.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Thank God he is still playing like a stud

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thank God AJ didn't cut him!!!

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My man!!!

I'm breaking out the powder blue Jamal for tomorrow's game. It's mojo time!!! :abq2:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Love the guy. D is playing better now. Still we need his heir apparent.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    You're right, he ain't gonna last forever. I hope we can get the dude a ring before he hangs em up though.

12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That would be sweet. :tup:

If we don't pick up a NT type this draft or make a commitment to someone already here, then the 4-3 may be making a comeback. I could see Merriman & Phillips with their hands down, Castillo & Cesaire in the middle.

13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Mad Man-Love for Big Mal!!:icon_toast:

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We need a big game from the DL & ILBs. I think Rivera will have them ready to go today.